SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Getting AEP these days?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting AEP these days? Login/Join 
posted
Picked up a W German 226 in great shape. Installed SRT kit and although I think it looks better with factory and/or wood grips, put on E2 grips because I shoot better with it.

Thinking of sending in for AEP package. What are people's experiences with that these days?

Had an SSP done to my old 220 a few years back and was pleased with the turn around and quality of work. Found it worth the price for the work they did.

Your thoughts?

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you'll get a lot of good first hand feedback on the AEP. Basically, it's just polishing surfaces and correcting any anomalies that may exist on the internals. It is not a high level custom tuning job like you'd get with GrayGuns or Burke. However, do not take that as a negative statement on the AEP.

Every gun is different. Some benefit more than others from basic action work. Still, I would venture to guess that ANY gun would be improved with something like the AEP.

I do my own action work on all my platforms. Essentially the same as you'd get with an AEP. For a P226, combine it with a with a 18-19 lb mainspring (New Style), and it will result in an eminently more shootable gun than factory. All of my guns are defensive handguns. Competition shooters may have a different perspective.

Sig CS and turnaround generally, has been very good the past few years.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
No offense, but if the AEP was all I could afford, I'd keep it stock.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
No offense, but if the AEP was all I could afford, I'd keep it stock.

I don't understand. What else would you recommend doing?

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you want.

There are a couple of gunsmiths here on the forum that do good work.

For what you get out of an AEP, I don't think it is worth it. If you had a mind to it, you could do a much better job yourself. A GGI trigger, convert it to SRT, and a 17 pound mainspring are easy to install. That costs about the same and will give you a much better product. Or you can mix and match to your tastes.

There are much better options out there than the AEP.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I can't emphasize how strongly I feel that you should NOT send your pistol to SIG for custom work. I sent them my West German P228 twice. The first time for the AEP and SRT package. When I got it back, it had about a 19lb DA trigger pull. I sat on it forever, after a frustrating trip to Front Sight, as I have other SIGs and was into 40 S&W and 45 ACP at the time. I recently pulled it out after years in the safe as I had changed jobs and my security carries 9mm. After having it tested by SIGforum moderator Chris Orndorf, I called SIG and described the problem and gave them the time line and asked what my options were. I will admit SIG agreed to look at it which quite impressed me. This time, it came back with the proper AEP trigger pull but now it has light primer strikes. I called SIG again and got the run around and lied to. The lies came from some CS rep who told me we didn't have the proper tools to measure trigger pull and that when they measured it the first time it was returned, the DA pull was within specs. And, if I was having light primer strikes, it was because of its age. The problem is that SIGforum's own moderator and member Chris Orndorff tested it both times and will confirm the DA pull and the light primer strikes. The DA pull was also tested by at least one other forum member at my LGS who can confirm how horrendous the trigger was. SIG said they would take it back but they would most likely charge me this time as it was an old gun. OK, it's old and if it needs some replacement parts OK (light round count gun though and it has new springs). In any event, it never had the out of control DA pull or light primer strikes until SIG started working on it so you decide what is causing the problem? Age? SIG? As a result of this, (I hope you are reading this SIG) I bought an HK P2000 V3 AND a VP9. I also bought a Glock 19. The moral of the story is do NOT send anything to SIG for custom work. It's too bad, as my P228 fits me the best and when it works, shoots the best. As an FYI, Chris has taken a look at it again and can't find any obvious problems (he even changed out the obvious springs and cleaned the firing pin channel to see if that is causing the light primer strikes without any luck). At this point, my only option is to start replacing the guts, I guess. C'est la vis, caveat emptor and all that. An expensive lesson that's for sure.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
You weren't happy with a SIG trigger job so you went out and bought a V3 P2000? That's kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't it?

I would say do a detail strip, polish or stone the trigger contact points. Wouldn't do much more than polish the sear.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
You weren't happy with a SIG trigger job so you went out and bought a V3 P2000? That's kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't it?

I would say do a detail strip, polish or stone the trigger contact points. Wouldn't do much more than polish the sear.

I like the V3 for CCW. I also plan on sending it to Richard Burke or GG for their carry packages. But, I get your point.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

I like the V3 for CCW. I also plan on sending it to Richard Burke or GG for their carry packages. But, I get your point.

I was kind of joking. I understand your frustration with SIG. I had a P2000. I liked it ok but the trigger wasn't something you just fell in love with.

I have finally learned to trust semi precocked strikers for carry.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Almost every AEP job I have seen in the last couple of years have been a similar story. The guns I have detailed had work that looked like it was done with a chainsaw. No thanks. If I couldn't afford to send it to a craftsman, I'd leave it stock or do the work myself.

www.opspectraining.com

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Almost every AEP job I have seen in the last couple of years have been a similar story. The guns I have detailed had work that looked like it was done with a chainsaw. No thanks. If I couldn't afford to send it to a craftsman, I'd leave it stock or do the work myself.

When you throw in SIG's abandonment of the 556, you really start to wonder why you should invest in the company at all? I have multiple SIG pistols and rifles and at this point, I am seriously thinking that it is time to sell all of them except the P228 and move to another platform. And, I'm only keeping the P228 because its a P228 and the first handgun I ever purchased.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
SIG could be like the Smith and Wesson M&P and I would be fine with it. Up until the 2.0 came out, I readily understood that if I purchased an M&P, I would need to buy the gun, punch the pins, throw everything but the slide and frame away, and pack it with Apex. SIG could be that way with the 226 and I would be good with it.

But, they do have an out of the box winner with the Legion guns. The quality of their other current production P-Series guns are pretty awesome for what I have been seeing in classes. It will be a while before I own another 320.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
How's this then - I already switched in the SRT. Order the Grayguns Master Spring Set - maybe the trigger, but I'm not sold on which trigger I'd like yet - and give it a good cleaning and polishing.

Call it a day after that.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rogerwilco:
How's this then - I already switched in the SRT. Order the Grayguns Master Spring Set - maybe the trigger, but I'm not sold on which trigger I'd like yet - and give it a good cleaning and polishing.

I'd really wait for the true experts like JLJones to comment but if it were me, I would do that or keep it stock. You could save up and invest with someone like Gray Guns, Richard Burke or Lazy Wolf who take pride in what they do and know what they are doing.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rogerwilco:

I'd say you'll be much happier going that route. If you use the GGI spring pack, use the 17 pound mainspring, and take some 600 grit sandpaper to strut. If you go with an enhanced leverage trigger, you'll get about 8 pounds on the DA and it will be smooth.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
It will be a while before I own another 320.
Why is that?

Concerning the original question. I sent my first Sig, a P226 to Sig for an AEP. Wasn't impressed at all with it. Could hardly tell any difference in it. Sent my P228 and another P226 to Gray Guns. Those I am impressed with. And there is definitely a difference. Very nice triggers.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Just to offer another perspective (but certainly not intending to contradict anyone else) I've had three great results with AEP jobs on my 229/.40, 239/9, and 220/.45. HOWEVER, this was several years ago, the latest being around 2013 I think? So, I can't speak for what they're doing these days, but I thought I should share a positive experience as well, albeit a bit "historical" at this point. It looks like I got lucky.

That said, I will probably save longer to send my next gun to GGI after reading about all these unfortunate outcomes.

Or as JLJones indicated, maybe I'll just save up even a little longer and just buy a Legion.

I would defer to the advice of the others, though, in any case.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^

When you throw in SIG's abandonment of the 556, you really start to wonder why you should invest in the company at all? I have multiple SIG pistols and rifles and at this point, I am seriously thinking that it is time to sell all of them except the P228 and move to another platform. And, I'm only keeping the P228 because its a P228 and the first handgun I ever purchased.
All I have is my first SIG and handgun, a KF P220. AR rifles will be made forever and the Glock is the AK of pistols.

For action work, I have GGI tuned HKs and if I wanted something more for my P220 (I don't), they would get the work.

Concerning the P320C, it's too big for a C IMO and they are already on version 2.0 ish. New frame, new slide release, new takedown lever, new non-lightened slide for the 9MM, new non-stinging trigger...

It isn't lightweight either when compared to the polymer standard in the same class (G19). I'm just done with the accepted beta testing and I hope the US military doesn't have to do (much) with the newly made P320 with safety / etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkyk:
quote:
It will be a while before I own another 320.
Why is that?

I've went three for three on 320C's that will not run. I have two full sized guns that work ok, but won't be buying any others for a while.

www.opspectraining.com