SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 43 malfunction
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 43 malfunction Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
"Sig209" is right - One must mark each mag - in my opinion - so that an out-lier can be identified.
Was sighting in a Ruger 22/45 Lite and had several FTE, and FTL. Tried several other 22LR with same result. Then (duh) it occurred to me that I was using the same mag. Tried five other mag with no issues. It happens.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Yes I always number my magazines with silver sharpie. That particular magazine will get a serious workout. I've got two more coming for a total of 4 so worse case I use that one for range use only for peace of mind.

It cleared very easily.

Anyone else notice maybe with the slide off, that when you insert a loaded mag in the frame that the ejector pushes down pretty far onto the back of the top bullet? Maybe that had something to do with it.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the Glock 43, but I wonder if I have had more issues.

In fact, we love them so much we have 5. I do the testing of our favorite carry load, Federal BPLE 115 grain +P+. (Favorite partly because it is cheap enough to play with snd test a lot.)

Out of about 1400 BPLE rounds, I have had one malfunction in each of three of the five guns. IE, 3 malfunctions in 1400 rounds. They occurred at approximately round #160 in one gun, #14 in the second, and #42 in the third. For each gun, I have at least 200 more malfunction free rounds afterwards. I have lots of magazines, and like an idiot, I do not know if this was one, two, or three different magazines. (Don't ask.)

Never any issues with FMJ, and haven't yet jumped into other favorite carry load, Federal HST 147 grain.

Interestingly, I just tried the other day a Pearce +1 extension, shooting again BPLE, as I was finishing up at the range, and got a failure to fully seat into chamber on round #5. Grrrr. Haven't tried more yet, but will. Haven't checked back to ensure I put the baseplate on correctly.

Is my experience different from most others?

Scott

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I had the same exact issues with mine but I'm running the pearce +1 extension, failure to feed on the last round over 50 percent of the time, I thought maybe I was limp wristing but only on the last round doesn't make since.
It looks like maybe the slide didn't retract fully wish now I would have paid more attention to it and took some pictures going out again Sunday and try some more.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Pearce +1 baseplates on each mag, no issues at all.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Fired 75rds of fmj today it continues to be 100% with them. My #1 magazine had the oem grip extension on it, I replaced it with a Pearce +1 extension and liked it very much. After a few hundred more rounds I'll revisit the gold dots.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I had the same exact issues with mine but I'm running the pearce +1 extension, failure to feed on the last round over 50 percent of the time, I thought maybe I was limp wristing but only on the last round doesn't make since.
It looks like maybe the slide didn't retract fully wish now I would have paid more attention to it and took some pictures going out again Sunday and try some more.

Replace the magazine spring.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
It is mechanical, there will be failures. As long as it isnt something drastic like every mag, once in a while is fine. I have probably close to 2000 rounds through my G43 with probably half a dozen failures....could be ammo, shooter, gun, dont know but tap, rack, bang fixed it every time. I dont even spend half a second looking at the issue, I go right into the malfunction drill. Now if that doesnt fix it, then there is a problem. Anyway, my two cents.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Another 75rds of fmj without issue. Decided to try a mag of gold dots and again it choked on the last round. Identical malfunction to last time. Stopped the slide just out of battery. The bullet is fully seated in the magazine still. Had to clear it since someone wanted to call cold range so I did the glock grip like to dissasemble it then dropped the mag. Was a different magazine this time also. Shot some more fmj before I went home.

This is what the bullet looks like.

Hard for me to relax only because I have high standards for my firearms. My Sigs have been 100% as well as the XDs I've owned and even my new SR22 has been perfect. Smile

Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Only variable I can see is the faster slide velocity of the hotter ammo causing the slide to outrun the mag spring especially since its on the last round that it's happening so if that's the case...stiffer recoil spring or mag spring or?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
Only variable I can see is the faster slide velocity of the hotter ammo causing the slide to outrun the mag spring especially since its on the last round that it's happening so if that's the case...stiffer recoil spring or mag spring or?

I fired several mags of the 124gr +P short barrel Gold Dots (23611) when I first got my 43 and never had any problems.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If it's happening with multiple magazines, I'd have Glock look at the pistol.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 brand new 43's do this exact thing this year.

Posts: 74 | Registered: March 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And how is it that you have access to all those G43s?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one in February and it jammed the first day. I brought it back to the gun shop and he gave me another brand new one. That one jammed as well. They were both current production models made in January 2017. He then ordered me a 3rd new one from a different supplier. This one has been better but it will still jam occasionally with hot ammo on the last round with both magazines.

Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Hmmm..

My next easiest thought is try some standard power gold dots but I've got 200rds of the +p stuff in the closet already and we all know how much this stuff costs..

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by j6721:
I bought one in February and it jammed the first day. I brought it back to the gun shop and he gave me another brand new one. That one jammed as well. They were both current production models made in January 2017. He then ordered me a 3rd new one from a different supplier. This one has been better but it will still jam occasionally with hot ammo on the last round with both magazines.

It's gotta be you and not the guns.

3 in a row?

You're limpwristing it or something and don't realize it.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought too but it has happened with everyone that shot these guns with me. Also I have found a few posts from different people with current manufactured 43's that are jamming on the last round with high powered ammo. I think it may be a problem with the magazine spring or recoil spring weight.

Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
My +p theory doesn't hold water. Went to LGS and bought a box of standard 115gr gold dots and on the first magazine had a worse version of this malfunction. Slide rode over the last round and then dragged it forward into the feed ramp, holding the slide out of battery.

I also shot an entire box (old box at least 15yrs old) of Federal 147gr hydra shocks without issue. Confused

Tomorrow I'm taking it to my LGS that I bought it from he carries a G43 with +p Hornady and he's gonna try it out with me.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
So I guess you're having this problem only with +P. Could be the heavy recoil of the +P is jarring the round slightly out of position since the last round has the least spring tension on it, and is pushed by the follower rather than a round. That of course is just a guess. If it's also happening with standard pressure JHP, then of course this theory does not apply and might be a feed issue with the hollow point.

FWIW, I shot only one or two mags of +P ammo through mine and I don't recall such failures. The only such issues I had was with +1 mags and that wasn't limited to JHP or +P. That was early on and it seems to have worked it's way out. I don't however carry with the +1 mags just for this reason.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post