SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 43 malfunction
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 43 malfunction Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted
I've got a new G43 I bought last week. Really pleasantly surprised how well it shoots. First range trip went great the other day, fired 100rds of 115gr fmj WWB with no issues.

Today I decided to try some of my preferred carry ammo, Speer 124gr +p good dots. First magazine went great, recoil still manageable. Second magazine had a stoppage after cartridge #5. Appears as though the slide went over top of the last cartridge in the magazine and jammed up the slide from closing by just a bit on an empty chamber. Don't think it even pushed the bullet into the feed ramp.

Fired another magazine of same ammo through both magazines with no other issues and then shot about 50rds of 115gr fmj through both mags with zero issues.

Fluke? Something I should keep an eye on? First time I've had a pistol malfunction outside of a couple 1911s in almost 20 years. Red Face

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You had one malfunction out of a couple hundred rounds and your response was to run to the internet and see if your gun was doomed? These things are mass produced mechanical items...they're not going to be perfect. Put another 500 through it before you even start to worry.

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could be anything, but nothing I would worry about within the first 200 rounds. Shoot another 100rds of FMJ and then try a mag of hollows and see what it does.

Posts: 272 | Registered: April 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fluke? Something I should keep an eye on? First time I've had a pistol malfunction outside of a couple 1911s in almost 20 years

Give it some more time. Sometimes these things work themselves out. Give it a good cleaning and once over. If it happens again call Glock.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
You had one malfunction out of a couple hundred rounds and your response was to run to the internet and see if your gun was doomed? These things are mass produced mechanical items...they're not going to be perfect. Put another 500 through it before you even start to worry.

It was an unusual malfunction that I've never seen or heard of in a pistol so I was curious if anyone else had experienced it. That is the point of this particular message board to share experiences and opinions there are knowledgable people here and many Glock fans so I asked a question. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

The sky isn't falling and I'm not panicking that my new pistol is a pos, I happen to really like it and plan to shoot it a whole bunch more in the coming weeks.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Maybe limp wristed that one round, or had your thumb resting on the slide stop, pushing the mag follower down slightly.... Just a thought.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The slide jammed on an empty chamber?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
After shooting classic Sigs for so long I've trained my left thumb to stay the hell away from the slide stop cause they're famous for not locking back on an empty mag due to wandering thumbs but it's certainly not something that can be ruled out 100%.

Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Yes, the slide was stopped just out of battery leaving the last round sitting in the magazine and there was no marks on the front of the bullet at all from the feed ramp. I ejected the magazine bullet was fully seated in it. I racked the slide, put the mag back in, loaded the pistol and fired the last round. Only marks on the bullet were on the top side of bullet and case from the slide.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
quote:

It was an unusual malfunction that I've never seen or heard of in a pistol so I was curious if anyone else had experienced it. That is the point of this particular message board to share experiences and opinions there are knowledgable people here and many Glock fans so I asked a question. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

The sky isn't falling and I'm not panicking that my new pistol is a pos, I happen to really like it and plan to shoot it a whole bunch more in the coming weeks.

The point is, it was ONE lone hiccup. There is no point of wondering what happened. Could have been anything. Impossible to diagnose with a once-occurred event. It might never happen again. Shoot some more, then start trying to diagnose the problem, if the problem is recurring. Wink

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Keep on running it, but I figure your 43 should be good to go now.

I had a sort of uncommon malfunction with the first few mags of carry ammo, ( 124gr HSTs ) through my 43. The last round would end up in a nose climb from the mag's follower to the top/underside of the chamber. Three hundred rounds of ball fired before hand went flawlessly.

Very next range trip, no further issues with feeding HSTs, or GDs.

Keep us updated on how she does.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
quote:

The point is, it was ONE lone hiccup. There is no point of wondering what happened. Could have been anything. Impossible to diagnose with a once-occurred event. It might never happen again. Shoot some more, then start trying to diagnose the problem, if the problem is recurring. Wink

I had a malfunction in a very recent IDPA match. The gun did not fire, I cycled the slide and moved on. In the after words review, the SO told me I was close the barricade and some stray strands of fiber or fiberglass (or polyester, or whatever it was that the barricade was made of) were blowing into the wind, into my chamber space. One strand kept my P220 from returning fully to battery, which was the ultimate problem.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Yes, the slide was stopped just out of battery leaving the last round sitting in the magazine and there was no marks on the front of the bullet at all from the feed ramp. I ejected the magazine bullet was fully seated in it. I racked the slide, put the mag back in, loaded the pistol and fired the last round. Only marks on the bullet were on the top side of bullet and case from the slide.

That doesnt sound like the slide was jammed at all. In fact, it sounds like you were able to easily move it. Jammed means that it's stuck, and you cant move it. It didnt jam in an empty chamber. It didnt return to battery.

Most likely your thimb is making contact with the slide.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Disassemble and clean the magazines too.
I don't know why his thumb touching the slide lock or slide would keep it from picking up the last round. Seems like that would just keep it from locking open after the last round was gone.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Are you using standard mags or ones with the +1 floor plate?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My G-43 has been flawless, but I don't blame the OP for his concern. Glocks are supposed to function in snow, rain, heat, and even gloom of night.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Disassemble and clean the magazines too.
I don't know why his thumb touching the slide lock or slide would keep it from picking up the last round. Seems like that would just keep it from locking open after the last round was gone.

Reduced slide velocity.

posted Hide Post
I had one FTF with my Glock 43 in the first 100 rounds. Seven hundred rounds later with no cleaning and I haven't had one malfunction, and that's with a Taran Tactical +2 mag extension. I wouldn't sweat it.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Standard 6rd mags. The bullet somehow caught the slide and stopped it from going into battery without jamming the nose into the feed ramp. Was just really odd.

posted Hide Post
Were you able to mark the magazine for future reference (keep an eye on that one magazine...)

Also - how easy was it to clear the malfunction?

I would just keep shooting it and keep an eye on it. And a reason I like buying some mid-price JHPs in bulk so I can shoot a good volume of JHP rounds through a gun if I am concerned about reliability.

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post