SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Adding a red dot to my pistol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding a red dot to my pistol Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I found a deal on RMR type 1. Is the type 2 worth the extra $200?

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an add on to my various posts on this. I personally have 20+ RMR's on various guns. My eyes convinced me to convert -full stop- and I have. These have been shot for tens of thousands of rounds, abused in all kinds of ways like hitting barricades, slide racking, miserable weather, whatever. I have had one type one need to go back. I did learn that mounting method matters, but like anything there are actual skills in using stuff.
Contrast that with the observations I have noted above about the Romeo-1's I have seen in matches. 4 didn't even make it through one match.
I didn't mention it, but of the 8 DPP's that started last years indoor tactical league (mostly on core's), none of them were running at the end of the year.
Maybe its not aimpoint reliable (probably nothing is) but the current type 2 is pretty darn reliable and for anyone looking for a red dot I would recommend it.
Having said all that I'm willing to give sig a chance and for the 2019 indoor shooting season which starts next week I'm going to run a 320 just for a change and we'll see what happens. One with the DPP (M17) and one with a Romeo1 (full size commercial 320).
Stay tuned.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found a deal on RMR type 1. Is the type 2 worth the extra $200

on a slide mount yes. on something else no.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
I found a deal on RMR type 1. Is the type 2 worth the extra $200?

I personally prefer type 1 over type 2. I own both. With Battlewerx plate and correct mounting, I've not had any issues with type 1s.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine a single reason to prefer a type 1 over a type 2. Not one. Trijicon obviously decided that overall it would help to have a type 2, otherwise we wouldn't have one. So you'll have to explain this one in some manor that eludes me...

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
besides the early plate breakage issues with Glock, the co-witness heights are off with many silencer height sights not co-witnessing at all.

That's completely confusing to me. I've heard of someone here on sigforum dropping a plate and breaking it, but never have a heard of a plate breaking when installed. And I've abused mine to no end. So point me to some actual failure data. I have used both trijicon and ameriglo suppressor sights and never had an issue on having working backup sights. You do not want cowitnessed sights in any case. No problem on bladetech holsters (all I use).

Maybe you don’t want co-witness sights but some do. To clarify I should should have been clearer with an RMR and suppressor Sights you get between a lower third and lower fifth co-witness. If you want an absolute Co-witness you need taller sights and from my understanding Dawson Precision is the only company who makes a true absolute co-witness height sight set for the Glock MOS. If you use any other RDS like the Delta point you will be lucky to see any of the sight (standard suppressor height) as they have a thicker base than the RMR. I personally know a couple of guys who have broken plates. One broke just by tightening the screws. A have also read lots of people breaking the supplied screw for the MOS plates under recoil.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ha...ken-screw/13-177956/

https://www.glocktalk.com/thre...screws.1660115/print

http://www.warriortalk.com/sho...81-The-MOS-is-a-POS!

https://youtu.be/OEXIItRNR0w

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Having said all that I'm willing to give sig a chance and for the 2019 indoor shooting season .

Fair enough. I have a 320RX That will be here Tuesday. I ll track and report on it as I am shooting 320s this year.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to explain?
Let your imagination flow. Or ask in a more congenial way.

posted Hide Post
I am puzzled by this post YVK? You say I prefer product A over Product B. I say the mfg says that Product B is better and the preferred choice. My experience says that Product B is a better choice and its lots and lots of experience. I ask you why you prefer Product A. And that's somehow offensive. My imagination is not really good at product evaluation. Mostly it imagines perfect products. I can't follow why what I wrote is offensive and requires I ask in a more congenial way. But as always on sigforum if I offended you in some way I'm truly, truly sorry.

posted Hide Post
Maybe I was tired, dunno, man, maybe I am just too irritable. Anyway, forget that part. I am sorry too.

The 17th hour revert to auto adjust made me remove type 2 from my concealed guns. I had this tested, and it is a no go for me. I know several others who feel the same. I can be dry firing type on auto adjust in my basement, simulating a mini stage, and see dot jump brightness between the targets. Coming out of a complete darkness of a holster into a bright sun on auto has presented issues too. I don't finger my carry guns every day, they stay in their holsters so I want to set the brightness and forget it. Ends up being some blooming when it gets dark but to me it is a better compromise than washing out or jumping brightness. That is also a reason why I prefer 3.5 for carry guns even though abstractly I like large dot for shooting - blooming doesn't look as bad on smaller dot.
For practice or competition guns the type 2 is just fine.