SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P938 assembly
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P938 assembly Login/Join 
posted
Looking for suggestions or tricks in seating that pesky flat leaf recoil spring back into the slide. After an hour of frustration I finally took it downto the smith at the range who said it was one of the most difficult reassembly he has dealt with. Also got the same feedback from several YouTube videos. Any guidance/ideas welcome.

Another subject has anyone had problems reassembling a 320 takedown pin so the mag safely block retracts and allows the mag to be reinserted? Neither of these two guns are as easy as my 229,226,239,etc to deal with! Thanks

NRA Benefactor Life

Posts: 155 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I just took mine down to see. I got it back together in about 15 seconds. Basically I inch the rod through the spring while keeping it straight with my fingers. Once you get passed about 2/3rds of the coils the spring stays straight and you just slide it in the rest of the way. The important part is to go slow at first and use your fingers to keep the spring from bending.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As yes, the P938 "Sig Slinky". A real PITA to compress and install.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
Get a piece of dowel from Home Depot or your local equivalent. Use the dowel as a guide to stop the spring bending. About three or four inches are all you need. Some folks use a cleaning rod instead of the dowel. Just be careful when you are using the cleaning rod as a slip could mar the guns' finish.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
I insert my cleaning rod through the hole in the slide, brace the rod handle against my chest while simultaneously pulling the spring and guide against the opposite end and then slowly release the tension on the rod (by leaning back) until the spring and guide pops into place. It works for me.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
No experience with the 938, but out of curiosity, can a captive recoil spring be made or are there captive systems available?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use a cut off piece of a cleaning rod, about 3" long. Insert from the front until it comes in contact with the guide rod, so the spring is continuously "rodded". As you push in with the guide rod, let the cleaning rod (or dowel) back itself out.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good ideas. Crazy that you even have to go through this for a high end piece.

NRA Benefactor Life

Posts: 155 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the dowel method but would not need it if the spring had round cross section coils rather than the flat coils that hurt fingers due to their sharpness and pinching tendency. When I grab the spring I hold it with a thin piece of leather.

Posts: 15 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: April 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Follow/up: just returned from the range after 250 rounds and did a detail cleaning. Used the dowell aid and it worked great. First time trying it I got it in less than a minute. Sig should give instructions on this. Thanks again everyone!

NRA Benefactor Life

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
It gets better with practice. Take it out and reinstall it about 15-20 times and you'll not complain about it ever again. Cool

Bawahhahaha!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A method that worked for me was:
Cut a small square piece of clear plastic like the stuff that berries come wrapped in 2" will do. Wrap it around the spring and hold it between the thumb and first finger.... Then push the spring in place. After the spring is set just pull out the plastic.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post