SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M&P Compact trigger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M&P Compact trigger Login/Join 
posted
I have an M&P compact 9mm with the manual safety. Only complaint is the trigger is rough. Have read about the Apex duty carry packeage which sells for around $80-90. Literature says reduces pull to 5.5 lbs. Sounds like an ideal pull. This appears to great for a carry gun. Does it smooth the grittyness too?

I'm confused because there is also mention of a trigger enhancement kit for additional money.

My questions are:

1 Anyone have experience with these and will you share comments/insights?

2 Is the carry packsge alone suffcient to lighten and smooth the trigger Sufficiently for everyday carry use?. I'd be uncomfortable with a competition light trigger of 2or 3 lbs. Seems too light.

3. Is the additional trigger package worth buying? WhAt's it add over the carry/ duty package?

Thanks for your comments.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My M&P9c is my duty back up gun. It has an Apex Duty Carry kit in it. It breaks smoothly at about 5 pounds, and the reset is nice.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jljones, sounds like the duty kit is all I need. Is it pretty smooth too?

Thanks

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
My 9C is my edc and I also shoot steel matches with it. It is Apexed and has no grit. Nice reset also.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have a 357 Sig compact. I installed just the Apex polymer stand alone trigger and its fine with me. My compact is the safety version also, that I deleted the right side lever and minimized the left side lever.

Trigger pull on my original trigger did not bother me as much as the feel of the hinghed SW trigger. Just try the Apex trigger first, it may satisfy your needs.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Bought a 9C about seven years ago. Came with the dastardly thumb safety. Typical M&P jerky, gritty, mushy break and nonexistent reset feedback. Put up with it for almost a couple of years of on and off range time, hating it nearly all of that time. Safety was a hazard (couldn't ride it with my short stub of thumb), so I exorcised it from the gun. Lived with two squarish holes on either side of the frame for the next two years waiting for S&W to get the infill plugs back in stock. Meanwhile I bought the Apex kit available at the time always intending to install it.

But I never did.

A funny thing happened on the way to the workbench. I dry fired the thing. A LOT. Took it out shooting from time to time. With the bloody safety out of the way my negative demeanor improved immensely. Still a classic M&P 'meh' trigger, but using and manipulating it made it incrementally better than when new. Groups got better. Less grit. The hurky-jerky action in the pull is still apparent but it's smoother than before and less intrusive within the stroke. The reset is still next-to-nothing but I pulled it enough times to know where it occurs on the 'out'-stroke; short-stroking just doesn't happen anymore. These days I shoot the gun well enough that I don't feel any desire to modify the trigger anymore. I don't use it for anything other than an infrequent range toy since I've yet to develop any real fondness for the gun. But I also don't detest it anymore. It works reasonably well. I keep it around in the faint hope that my wife will someday decide to take up shooting and that she could have it as one of the many to choose from.

(Who am I kidding? She'll wind up picking my P210 Legend. She has that knack. She already calls that one 'pretty'.)

The unused Apex kit was gifted to a friend recently who just bought himself a 9C (no thumb safety). He decried the horror of the trigger and wants it fixed post haste. A 1911 guy, he just couldn't fathom why anyone would put up with drivel like his 9C's trigger. What could I say? So I concurred, and gave him the Apex kit. Maybe he'll finally install it into a M&P and enjoy it like it should be.

Unless of course he sells his 9C first. He's kinda like that. Maybe I should get first dibs on that Apex kit if that happens...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Apex kits are gold on M&p's. I e out various kits in 3 different S&W

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Apex kits are gold on M&p's. I e out various kits in 3 different S&W

I tend to agree. The one I put on my full size made that gun pretty nice. Then I sold the gun to someone who wanted it far more than I did. She still has it and loves the way it shoots.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
The apex kit is worth every penny. My first M&P was a shield, and after a few hundred rounds, and having the opportunity to try a friends apexed shield, I switched and will never look back.

Now, my daily carry is either a full size or a 9c, both with the apex. I also own a full size 40 and 40c, and a gen 2 9 full size, and all wear apex triggers. Even with the gen2, the apex trigger still has a nicer break than stock.

As far as the competition kit, my M&P 45 has it and it could only ever be a range Gun with that trigger. It's just way too light to responsibly carry. Get the duty carry kit and you won't be disappointed, just be forewarned that you do need to remove the rear sight for the install.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
jljones, sounds like the duty kit is all I need. Is it pretty smooth too?

Thanks

Hey Max,

Yep, that will get you. Apex has several videos on their 'tube channel on installation. It is easy as pie (well, the tough part is getting the rear sight off on some of the guns. Some guns the rear sight almost falls off, the others need a 20 megaton blast to get them loose).

The Apex kit will make the trigger smooth from Alpha to Omega. I put Apex in all of my M&P stuff.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all of you for your replys. The Apex carry/duty kit sounds like the answer. I like the pistol. I'm old, (69) and have been a 1911 guy most of my life. I like the idea of the safety though the ambi safty is a pain. I need to figure out how to remove the right side of it. It widens the piece too much.

With all of the talk of effectiveness of modern 9 mm I decided to take the plunge. I had been carrying a Commander and Officer size. The increased firepower in a compact package and the abiliy to carry a full size 17 rd spare mag seemed like a great option. My only complaint is the trigger.

I still love and prefer my 1911s but the sw sure does seem to be a leg up, especially with the added round capacity. My other favorire is a HK P 2000 in 40, which I use when I can dress around it.

Think I can grind a little meat off the right side safety lever without affecting function? Does anybody make a left side only version of the safety?