SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    US Air Force Drop Testing M17/M18 (P320) Pistols from 30,000 Feet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Air Force Drop Testing M17/M18 (P320) Pistols from 30,000 Feet Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Doesn't matter as they are likely carried with an empty chamber. Big Grin

We did in the Navy with M11s. Somethings "they" told us to leave the magazine out as a well, but thats something I wasn't willing to do.

Besides, the best use of a pistol in Afghanistan by an ejected aircrew is to blow your own brains out to prevent capture / rape / sodomy prior to videotaped murder.

We always flew with a round in the chamber. We were issued M-9s with the slide locked back and two full mags. Stuck the muzzle in the clearing barrel, inserted mag, and released the slide. Place the weapon on safe and place in holster.

Note: I retired 5 years ago so things could be different now.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Some people will do just about anything to not carry Glocks...... ;-D

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I’m generally not an advocate of carrying with an empty chamber, but this seems like a situation where it might make sense.

I never had to pull the handle, but always counted on being injured if I did. As such, being able to rack the slide wasn't something I was going to count on if my day was already going bad enough to trade my aircraft for a parachute.

In the early - mid 90's I carried the M9 over Iraq with magazine inserted and round in the chamber with safety on. This was carried in a nylon cloth holster sewn inside a zippered pouch located on the upper right-front of the survival vest. The holster held the M9 with the muzzle pointing directly at my junk which was a slight concern to me. To this day I haven't heard of a pistol discharging or the pouch ripping off during an ejection sequence.

I flew out of Darwin, Australia for 3 weeks in 1994 and we carried the Colt 1911A1. I carried mine with a round in the tube but not cocked & locked. Humans aren't high on the food chain in the Northwest Territory and we actually took a short bush survival class before our first flight to the Delamere Range south of Darwin. The trainers asked what we were carrying and we proudly said "Colt 45's!" Their reply was "If that's all your carrying, your best bet is to find a tree and get in it as high as possible until pick-up." Don't know if they still do, but the Aussie Hornet drivers we flew with were carrying .50 Desert Eagles.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Doesn't matter as they are likely carried with an empty chamber. Big Grin

We did in the Navy with M11s. Somethings "they" told us to leave the magazine out as a well, but thats something I wasn't willing to do.

Besides, the best use of a pistol in Afghanistan by an ejected aircrew is to blow your own brains out to prevent capture / rape / sodomy prior to videotaped murder.

We always flew with a round in the chamber. We were issued M-9s with the slide locked back and two full mags. Stuck the muzzle in the clearing barrel, inserted mag, and released the slide. Place the weapon on safe and place in holster.

Note: I retired 5 years ago so things could be different now.

Navy Tacair usually carried empty chamber, at least all my deployments. Talking to the older hands, things really seemed to change in the late 90s, no more personal weapons, etc. M11, 2 mags of FMJs was the issued weapon. It was common amongst the gun toting members to bring extra magazines with ammunition of their choice. That wasn't authorized but was tacitly tolerated. Big Grin

Then again, we weren't landing in country, so I'm glad to hear those of you that did were able to carry as you should.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Begin Rapid Vertical Impact Simulation

Now everyone on my train wants to know what's so funny! Cool

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post