SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why buy a Legion over a Standard P220?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why buy a Legion over a Standard P220? Login/Join 
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted
A LGS has a P220 Legion for $1200 as well as a standard P220 for $930. The standard has SIGlight night sites and of course the Legion has X-Ray sights and the P-SAIT trigger. E2 grips on the P220 and the Legion G10 grips on the Legion. I also know the Legion has the PVD finish.

Is there really $270 worth of difference between the two? Really?? Is there any difference that I'm missing?

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pick one up. They undercut the trigger guard and they checker areas that on the standard are either grooved or nothing. Xrays are an upgrade to most people. You also get the SRT which I personally think makes for a phenomenal upgrade.

Only you can decide if the 270 is worth it to you. I hate E2 grips btw.

Certainly if you took a stock 220 and tried to "legionize" it it would cost more than 270 but that isn't a strong argument. I prefer the Legion to the stock.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
Is there any difference that I'm missing?

Well, you also get that challenge coin, which you'll either stick back in the box or toss in a drawer somewhere, and promptly forget all about.

And they'll teach you the secret Legion handshake too, so you can join their exclusive club and buy overpriced Legion-branded gear from the members-only Legion webstore.

Big Grin

All kidding aside, the Sig website at https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p220-legion.html does a good job of highlighting the differences between a Legion P220 and a standard P220:

G10 grips
Gray PVD coating
X-ray3 sights
Front cocking serrations
Beavertail
Front strap/trigger guard checkering
Undercut trigger guard
Low-profile levers
Polished action
P-SAIT trigger
Steel guide rod
1 extra magazine (Legion has 3x mags, while standard has only 2x)

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Part of my issue is that there are so many awesome deals out there for used P-series SIGs. It's just hard to justify buying new.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
And, no way I would shell out $930 + tax for a plain Jane P220.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I would think that you can get an LNIB P220 for $500.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
And, no way I would shell out $930 + tax for a plain Jane P220.

This!!!

Before I would spend that on a new P-220, I would buy a mid-90's P-220 and spend the extra money on ammo or training.

That said, I did find a P-220 DA/SA Legion for $750 last weekend and could not pass it up. I have not shot it yet.

However, I am a long time fan of the P-220 platform and believe the mid 90's are some of the best.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sprang for a Legion P220 SAO, because the flat trigger is similar to my Legion P226 SAO. However the 226 has about a 3.25 lbs pull and the 220 is more like 4.5 lbs. It would be nice if the P220 trigger was as good as the P226, but I looked at two Legion P220's and they felt about the same.

Really, it's all about the trigger, SRT, G10 grips and the frame mods/checkering. I could do without the Legion roll marks and would prefer a normal finish. X-Ray sights are decent and better than Siglites, but the Trijicon HD and Ameriglo front sights in bright orange or yellow are better than the Green X-Rays.

Personally, I would not get a DA/SA Legion though, except maybe the 10 mm.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
You would have to be a real dummy to pay that much for either of those. Your dealer seems expensive. You can get one of the two tone “combat” style 220’s with NS for $625-675. Much better buy. All the extra shit on a legion will likely make a difference to 2% of the shooting population. If you can’t shoot a plain Jane 220 accurately with a standard trigger and Sights then you just need more practice. If this is going to be your primary defensive weapon then sure get exactly what you want with every detail checked off. If it’s just a range gun save yourself some money and get the one below.

https://gun.deals/product/spec...ck-65999?mobile=true

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
...I would buy a mid-90's P-220 and spend the extra money on ammo or training...

This! The mid '90s P220s would be the way to go. There should be a few deals in the works if you are willing to shop around. If it were me, I'd have to replace the grips on either one anyway.

I'm more of an opportunist, found a European .38 Super P220 for sale in Nevada for $705. Added the reset trigger kit, aluminum grips, stainless guide rod, and a few more mags before I made it anywhere near $900.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a new P220 Elite Scorpion for $639, with many of the Legions updates. Didn't have the ugly long beavertail like most Elites is what I liked the best. I guess if your a coin collector, the Legion might be for you.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Scorpion model. It comes with Hogue grips that are around $90-100 on their own. While I prefer all black pistols, the Scorpion color won me over when I held it. They are a great deal.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The P220 is a fine pistol but I never felt the need to buy one until I shot the Legion version.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post