SIGforum
Replacement barrel

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3730075854

July 04, 2019, 07:15 PM
ches41mag
Replacement barrel
I have carried a P 239 and a 10mm match elite both have some rust on one side in the barrel near the muzzle on the left side which would have been on the side where my body was. I am thinking that this was salt from sweat. I always eipe them down, but did not think to worm a corner of the cloth in the barrel muzzle. Question: Do replacement barrels have to be fitted or just drop it in?
July 05, 2019, 01:57 AM
RNshooter
They should drop in.
Why not refinish?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
July 05, 2019, 02:06 AM
Yes, have them refinished in CPII from CCR. You will likely not have to worry about rusting again.

Q

July 05, 2019, 07:54 PM
ches41mag
It is the rifling that is pitted inside the barrel at the most important part of the barrel, near the muzzle on both barrels.
July 06, 2019, 02:34 PM
markstempski
quote:
Originally posted by ches41mag:
I have carried a P 239 and a 10mm match elite both have some rust on one side in the barrel near the muzzle on the left side which would have been on the side where my body was. I am thinking that this was salt from sweat. I always eipe them down, but did not think to worm a corner of the cloth in the barrel muzzle. Question: Do replacement barrels have to be fitted or just drop it in?

I have always been able to just drop in Sig barrels made by Sig, don’t remember any one mentioning otherwise on the forum. Barsto replacement barrels are different even the semi fitted ones don’t always just drop right in. They are cheap enough still to have a couple on hand though are creeping up to the Barsto barrels. Check around prices do vary.
July 06, 2019, 05:36 PM
bonanacroin
Sig barrels may or may not drop in. I’ve had two (220 and 226) that required fitting. Have you tried grouping the guns? The reason I ask is I purchased a police trade in P220 that whoever carried never bothered to punch the bore. Ring of lint (aka moisture collectors) pitted a nice ring at the muzzle. The pistol was still very accurate. I ended up replacing the barrel just because of my own OCD, but it wasn’t necessary.
July 06, 2019, 07:34 PM
markstempski
quote:
Originally posted by bonanacroin:
Sig barrels may or may not drop in. I’ve had two (220 and 226) that required fitting. Have you tried grouping the guns? The reason I ask is I purchased a police trade in P220 that whoever carried never bothered to punch the bore. Ring of lint (aka moisture collectors) pitted a nice ring at the muzzle. The pistol was still very accurate. I ended up replacing the barrel just because of my own OCD, but it wasn’t necessary.

Well that is a first for me, have you heard of others? My CZs required fitting but not much. I am guessing it didn’t take too much to do the Sig barrels or did it?
July 07, 2019, 09:34 AM
ches41mag
Ok. I confess. I am also OCD. I probably should forget about the pitting and just go on and shoot the 10 mm match elite and the p 239. Thanks all of you for the info.
July 07, 2019, 06:47 PM
odin
Just recently acquired a Bar-Sto conversion barrel for my P239 to convert from .40S&W to 9mm. It was not a drop-in conversion. I needed to get a competent gunsmith to rework the barrel.
Lots of issues with this barrel that will need to be worked out: timing issues, lock-up, etc. Would probably have been more cost-effective to buy a used P239 in 9mm. In all, I'll have spent over $400 for the conversion and I still need to buy 9mm mags. What a cluster f**k!
July 07, 2019, 08:18 PM
markstempski
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
Just recently acquired a Bar-Sto conversion barrel for my P239 to convert from .40S&W to 9mm. It was not a drop-in conversion. I needed to get a competent gunsmith to rework the barrel.
Lots of issues with this barrel that will need to be worked out: timing issues, lock-up, etc. Would probably have been more cost-effective to buy a used P239 in 9mm. In all, I'll have spent over $400 for the conversion and I still need to buy 9mm mags. What a cluster f**k!

Sorry for your trouble don’t hear much bad about bar sto barrels. I have 3 of them all trouble free. That doesn’t help you. A recent purchase?
July 07, 2019, 08:21 PM
markstempski
quote:

Sorry you did say recent acquisition. Well maybe this thread will uncover other problems not that I Would be happy to hear that but if they are having QC issues would be better for us all to know.
July 07, 2019, 09:39 PM
bonanacroin
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:

Well that is a first for me, have you heard of others? My CZs required fitting but not much. I am guessing it didn’t take too much to do the Sig barrels or did it?

I only have experience with the two. Both were Sig combat model barrels (phosphate finish, chrome lined) so I don’t know if it was that type in particular. They wouldn’t drop into the slide (seemed the hood was oversized somewhat) and the feed ramp would catch on the locking block. Both were sent to Sig for fitting so I’m not sure how much work was needed to fit them.
July 08, 2019, 09:48 PM
hrcjon
On a 239 you can use a factory barrel to get to 9mm so not sure why there was a barsto barrel in the first place to the post above about the barsto barrel? But in any case if it won't fit barsto charges $65 for fitting (or at least they did when I had to have one go back to them), so its not a big expense. In all these cases a few of them need some TLC to work, production tolerances etc. I've had mostly good luck with both factory and barsto over the years.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
July 09, 2019, 10:26 AM
dsiets
quote:

I did the same, a .40 to 9mm barsto conversion barrel for my P239. My semi-drop in also did not drop in. A local gun smith fit it and 50 FMJ's and 20 JHP later, it seems to work fine using my .40 mags.
Are the 9mm mags that necessary? I thought they were loose fitting.
July 09, 2019, 12:25 PM
Sparkyk
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
On a 239 you can use a factory barrel to get to 9mm so not sure why there was a barsto barrel in the first place to the post above about the barsto barrel? But in any case if it won't fit barsto charges $65 for fitting (or at least they did when I had to have one go back to them), so its not a big expense. In all these cases a few of them need some TLC to work, production tolerances etc. I've had mostly good luck with both factory and barsto over the years.

Still $65 for fitting and test fire.
July 10, 2019, 06:06 PM
odin
Will use the one .40S&W mag I have for the 9mm conversion. Sig did not have a 9mm barrel for the 239 available. That was my first choice. Most of the other gun parts sellers did not have a conversion barrel either.
Still looking for 9mm mags. If I can only use my .40S&W mag, that OK.
- odin
July 10, 2019, 08:10 PM
markstempski
quote:
Will use the one .40S&W mag I have for the 9mm conversion. Sig did not have a 9mm barrel for the 239 available. That was my first choice. Most of the other gun parts sellers did not have a conversion barrel either.
Still looking for 9mm mags. If I can only use my .40S&W mag, that OK.
- odin

Not sure about 239 but I use 40 for 9 on the range not issues so,far 226 and 229
July 11, 2019, 10:46 AM
SBrooks
BarSto sells a video regarding the fitting. I used it to fit my 9mm conversion barrel into my 239SAS DAK. Works great. I have some 9mm mags, but the .40 mags work just fine as do the .40 springs and such.

------------------
SBrooks