SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Night sight questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night sight questions Login/Join 
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted
Took my NIB Walther PPS M2 LE to the range today. On the third round the right phosphorus dot fell out of the rear sight. Frown While I wait for Walther customer service to reply to my message about this issue, I got to thinking about maybe just replacing the sights altogether. The PPS version I have has the phosphorus sights and I’m not sure of their longevity (I still put 150 rounds through the gun even though it was a little harder to pick up the sights w/o one of the rear dots).

Looking online I see the XS “Big Dot” night sights. They look solid but I’m wondering how they compare to standard sights for ease of alignment and quick pick up. Also looking at the TruGlo tritium pro night sights. They’re less expensive although not so significantly to make that a primary factor in deciding.

If anyone has used or currently uses either of these sights (especially the XS Big Dots) I’d appreciate your feedback. How well do they hold up? Ease of use/fast acquisition, etc. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, insight, feedback.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The big dots are good for quick pickup but I dont find them to be as accurate as you cover more of the target with the oversized dot. So your shots just going into that area if that makes sense. For close up quick defensive stuff I think theyd do just fine.

I've never had any issues with truglo night sights and generally like them and Meprolight. YMMV of course.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Big Dots are great sights for distances that you don't really need sights.

Beyond that, they suck and the concept became obsolete with the advent of the HD style high visibility sights.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
Took my NIB Walther PPS M2 LE to the range today. On the third round the right phosphorus dot fell out of the rear sight.

Oh man, that's not what I wanted to hear. Mine has had standard sights, but on the very first mag out of the box the front AND the left rear dots disappeared. I was thinking about replacing them with the phosphorus dots, but it doesn't sound like they're any better than the standard sights.

I too am waiting for Walther CS to reply to my email (3 business days now).

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used XS Big Dot sights on a Glock 23. Like has been said, they were fast when shooting up close but I had difficulty shooting them accurately at longer distances. I wouldn't choose them now.

While I'm in the camp that doesn't believe night sights to be essential, I do have a set on my current EDC, a Beretta PX4 Compact. It's the Ameriglo Compact Carry sights, with a plain black rear sight and tritium front sight with a flourescent orange background. So far I like them.

I would suggest checking out Ameriglo's offerings and see if they have anything for your pistol.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with Jones on the express sights. I think they are way overpriced but fill a role. Short barreled "gut guns" or small guns with less accuracy potential seem to be the best fit. Many judge the tightness of the groups they shoot as feedback to how well they are shooting. The express sights leave a lot to be desired for group shooters. They typically are not a precision sight - just as designed. I've carried them on a Glock 26 and 19. Those two have way too much accuracy potential and the express sights offer no advantage to me over the "HD" style front sights. AS far as durability, the glue or adhesive used to secure the tritium in place on AE sights does not hold up as well as the Trijicon sights to high heat.That was a lesson learned from a spray and bake project or two.

I've got the Truglo pro FO sights on a CZ75. That front sight is great and these sights are hard to beat for the money. I have not carried any guns with these sights so I can't comment on durability. I would suspect they are less durable due to the FO. I am going to try a set on my carry CZ p01.

You are pretty limited to what' Big Grin s available for that model but I wouldn't go express unless it's proven to work for you. And don't look at any D.R. Middlebrooks videos where he shoots with no sights. You'll wonder.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
There aren’t a lot of options for the PPS guns, and my brain is not a fan of 3 dot sights. XS also makes the “F8” sights, a 2 dot set. I put a set on my PPS classic and like them.

I tried big dots on a P225 and disliked them.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
Oh man, that's not what I wanted to hear. Mine has had standard sights, but on the very first mag out of the box the front AND the left rear dots disappeared.

That’s very disappointing. I think I’ve decided to just have some night sights put on and carry it. But I’ll let you know what I hear from Walther when/if they respond. I’d like to know what you hear as well. Thanks.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Big Dots are great sights for distances that you don't really need sights.

Beyond that, they suck and the concept became obsolete with the advent of the HD style high visibility sights.

I agree w/ just about all the answers so far. I had XS Big Dots on a subcompact w/ 3" barrel. It seemed to make sense on a gun that small, plus I much prefer Von Stavenhagen i-dot sights to 3-dot.

Big Dot front dots come in two sizes: L and XL. I had XL w/ Tritium insert. In my experience, as jljones posted, I didn't find the Big Dots much more useful than point shooting w/o sights. Beyond 5 yds, the XL Big Dot was annoyingly large. Remember, this was on a pistol w/ a short sight distance.

My preferred sight is a Tritium front inside a flourescent orange circle. I'm not too picky about the rear as long as the top of the rear sight is made to line up w/ the top of the front.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ashley Express regular sight is a bit more functional than the big dot; the big dot is not a bad choice on a snub nose revolver where it's more of a frame of reference. The big dot is cartoonishly large.

The standard front is a white outline in a black sight, and contrasts against most backgrounds. I actually like the X/S standard, and I even have them on a few rifles. Their AR front is nice; I can see it against most any background, and the vertical white and dark stripe appearance is actually useful for indexing the front sight.

If you want to go with the X/S sights, the standard dot is better, but I'm not a van of the rear on the pistol x/s sights.

I like the Trijicon HD and XR series. I like the deep, wide rear u-notch. I use the not so much for being night sights as the higher visibility orange front, with a good contrast against any backgruond, even in low light.

There are some good choices on the market right. now with a similar feature.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I had the XS big dot sights on a 3" 1911. I didn't like them one bit. I finally switched them out for some Trijicons. Much better.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Walther is going to send me a new rear site (I had the option of returning the gun to them to have them install a new site).

Rather than have the factory rear site installed I ordered Trijicon HD sights for it and will have those installed instead.

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
My only experience with BigDots was a Springfield 3.3 XDS .40cal I traded a buddy because he said it "kicked".
He had the installed at the shop, and they were regulated well but I just didn't like them.

So, like many of my defense guns I replaced with HD-XR's and they work great for me. By the way, that XDS is one hell of a shooter.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
A great choice with the Trijicon HD’s, in my opinion.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
Walther is going to send me a new rear site (I had the option of returning the gun to them to have them install a new site).

Rather than have the factory rear site installed I ordered Trijicon HD sights for it and will have those installed instead.

Walther is sending me new front and rear sights as well. After installing, and if I like the pistol enough, I'll look for some night sights such as the Trijicon option. Thanks for your follow-up, mojojojo.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
A great choice with the Trijicon HD’s, in my opinion.

I am a fan of Trijicons too. I have HD XR sights on most of our defense / CCW weapons and I like them. I find it easy to acquire a sight picture fast.

Having said that, I recently bought my first Glock with factory AmeriGlo Bold sights and I like them too. Very similar sight picture as the Trijicons. If I was buying the AmeriGlo sights to put on a pistol, I would prefer the Agent sights with the U-notch rear sight like the HD XR sights.

There are a lot of good choices out there today. Like someone else said, I think you have to find a set up that your eye/ brain picks up and processes quickly and naturally. For that reason, I try to keep a similar sight picture on all of my carry/ home defense weapons.

Posts: 6 | Location: Oak Harbor, Ohio | Registered: February 12, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post