SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Stainless Elite Carry Fat Guide Rod question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Stainless Elite Carry Fat Guide Rod question. Login/Join 
posted
Hello All,

I picked up a used P220 Stainless Elite Carry from my LGS, who handled an estate sale for the widow.

After a bit more research, it seems to have a Grey Guns Fat Guide rod installed.

Two questions:

Do the Grey Guns Sig Fat Guide rods normally stick out about 1/8-3/16" from the slide?

Are they so 'fat' that it is hard for the spring to compress/slide down the length?

Mine sticks out about the distance listed above.

Also, when I removed the rod, I noticed how hard it was to remove the spring. I 'compressed' the spring on the rod about 1/2" [holding rod w/spring in hand], and it only moved back about 1/4".

Growing up, I would have said there is a high amount of 'sticktion' with this pairing.

The spring is a multi-strand one with red paint on the end nearest the barrel chamber.

So, is all of this normal for the Grey Guns Fat guide rod in the P220 Carry?

thank you

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
In my experience the Gray Guns fat rods do not protrude at all. Because of their larger diameter, the recoil spring is harder to remove. Compressing the spring enlarges the coils and makes it easier.

GGIguiderods by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm.

either I don't have a Grey Guns one, or there is something wrong.

It hand cycles fine.

Locking slide back with mag stop, remove slide. Insert snap cap. 'slingshot' slide. It goes back into battery. However, it sticks out between 1/8 and 1/4".

IF anyone has time and a guide rod for a Carry P220, could you measure the overall length?

Thanks for the pictures. That is what I thought it should look like!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I believe the Gray Guns Fat guide rods were made for the P226/220 full size pistols. So, on a Carry model, I would expect it to stick out as you described.

As far as having more "sticktion", yes, they do fit a little tight, and compressing the spring on it feels like it needs more oomph. I just attribute it to less play on the spring and guide rod as opposed to the stock one.

Hope that helps.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I have a p220 stainless elite carry with a factory guide rod.
It is solid black steel.

Overall length is 2.796".
It protrudes approximately 0.036" from the front face of the slide.
Diameter is 0.311".

Hope this helps.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post