SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does anyone else switch to another caliber in cold weather?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone else switch to another caliber in cold weather? Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My edc is my Glock 32. No change depending on the weather. I normally carry iwb behind right side hip but it’s no longer feasible since I bought a new car. The seats aren’t comfy with iwb. So I switched the 32 to OWB paddle and keep it in my bag on the passenger seat and carry my P365 aiwb while driving. I slip the 32 on when I get out of the car.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weather nor season dictate my caliber;IWB or OWB do

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
summer I tend to carry the Seecamp or High Standard Derringer in my pocket (shorts)

or the J frame,

winter, with a loose jacket, I tend to carry the Colt Commander or P220 (pancake type OWB) more,

not much on IWB holsters,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
A 1911 year around, same holster, same iwb position. If I'm going somewhere where discreet is preferred, I may opt for the P365.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
If I was afraid a coat would stop my bullet I wouldn't carry that caliber to the beach on a 110 day.

I carry a real caliber all year long.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
NO

It never occurred to me to associate a specific caliber with a particular season of the year

I want to the most power that I can handle in a skilled manner no matter what the season of the year.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
No, I carry 45 acp exclusively no matter what time of year. My 1st carry gun was an H&K 45C but I've since sold that and carry my P320 compact 45 daily year 'round.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
Nope, just capacity. 9mm all year that I carry a single stack in summer, and in winter double stack.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
No change for me. A P239-40 or G27, depending on humidity or rain conditions, IWB all year long. Sometimes if it's very cold I add a J frame to my outside coat pocket.

I use Gold Dots in the autos and Hornady Critical Defense in the J.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
"Cold weather?" I think I have a sort of faint memory of something like that. Then I moved to Florida.

We have a few warm days every year. The rest of the time it's just plain hot.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really. I do change pistols. Kahr K9 Elite right now. When it cools down here in a few weeks, it'll be the P229. Same caliber.
Also go from IWB to OWB. I will mix my P220 in when it gets cold but I find the 229 perfect for me.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I used to when I carried a 1911 in winter and my 239 in .40 in the summer. I'm currently carrying my 938 Scorpion year round. At times I'll put my 238 in a pocket but that's rare anymore.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My personal carry is a G32 in .357 Sig.

Depending on what I'm wearing, however, I'll often just have a G43 in my pocket, or sometimes a s&w 642.

In wintertime, sometimes with more layers and more concealing garments, it's easier to carry IWB. In the summer sometimes it's easier to go with the G43 in the pocket and a couple of spare magazines.

Winter vs. summer is really a matter of what I'm wearing and how I'll be carrying something.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

(And as an aside, the above photos clearly demonstrate that there is no difference in wounding effects among various handgun loads—as many people claim to believe. Roll Eyes )

sigfreund, your experimental design is ripe for criticism. Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Same edc year round but in the winter I have added a Charter Arms Bulldog to the heave winter coat pocket.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. Been carrying (legally that is) since 1964. Handgun rounds suck. Plan your equipment and tactics around that fact.

When I started, we had .38 Spl RN lead and .45 ACP ball ammo. Semi-wads if you reloaded. Consequently, ANY modern load in any caliber is an improvement. Progress in bullet design has moved us from really sucks to just plain sucks. Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
During the summer time I'll carry a PPS M2 9mm if my manner of dress conceals it well, but do occasionally (when wearing shorts and a t-shirt) just go with a small .380 in the pocket. When its cool or rainy outside, I'll switch to a .45 ACP, particularly if the style of clothing allows OWB carry.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Calibers no. I do switch handgun platforms when temps require cold weather gloves.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

(And as an aside, the above photos clearly demonstrate that there is no difference in wounding effects among various handgun loads—as many people claim to believe. Roll Eyes )

sigfreund, your experimental design is ripe for criticism. Smile

I agree—if I claimed that the experiment proved that the 45 Gold Dot would neutralize a hostile threat more quickly than the 9mm Blazer. Analyzing the results of shooting any test medium, up to and including calibrated “ordnance” gelatin, will not demonstrate how a particular load will serve to neutralize a threat any more than anecdotes of the, “Modern bullets all perform about the same,” or “The XYZ agency uses the ABC load and has had good results with it,” sort. Without properly-analyzed hard detailed data based on large numbers of actual shootings, no one knows how particular loads will accomplish that goal—much less can anyone predict how a particular load will perform in any individual incident.

I would not, however, accept any rejection of a claim that there is often a profound difference in the physical effects of various loads. Watermelons are not valid human tissue simulants, but they clearly demonstrate that some loads have more effect on watermelons than others. But if someone wants to believe that merely because one load blows the melon to pieces while the other does not that that tells us nothing about their probable wounding effects, I would not presume to do anything to destroy anyone’s faith in such beliefs—other than to point out the obvious. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 00464b:
Nope, just capacity. 9mm all year that I carry a single stack in summer, and in winter double stack.

Yep, I do the same. Single stack during daylight savings time and double stack on standard. Coincides nicely with the outside temp here on the East Coast.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post