SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does anyone else switch to another caliber in cold weather?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone else switch to another caliber in cold weather? Login/Join 
posted
When it gets coat weather I switch from 9mm to 357 sig on my daily carry pistols.

Does anyone else switch calibers due to seasonal changes?

Also grab a Glock 20 in 10MM while hiking.(Bears)

Posts: 12660 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
No, 9MM 147+P HST in all of them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
No need for me to switch because I carry the most effective cartridge available in a high capacity autoloading pistol to begin with: the 357 SIG. Wink

But from the (presumed) standpoint that a more powerful round is necessary in cold weather, that’s simply not valid. Someone’s “heavy clothing” standard is reportedly four layers of denim. I covered some organic targets with three times that much, 12 layers, and shot them with various loads. Bullets from any cartridge that any sensible person would rely on for self-defense are not going to be hindered to any significant degree by any type of normal clothing.

Ancient Blazer aluminum 9mm 115 grain JHP with a small hollow point fired from a P239:

Speer 230 grain 45 ACP Gold Dot fired from P220:

If we’re not comfortable with a specific load in the winter, we shouldn’t be comfortable with it at any time of year.

(And as an aside, the above photos clearly demonstrate that there is no difference in wounding effects among various handgun loads—as many people claim to believe. Roll Eyes )

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Negative. 9mm Luger, and .380 Auto in my backup, both hollowpoints, year round. Even the heaviest winter coat, or layers under it (not necessary here), I don't believe offers significant resistance to a bullet. So maybe you have to shoot him a few more times. Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund

...Bullets from any cartridge that any sensible person would rely on for self-defense are not going to be hindered to any significant degree by any type of normal clothing.

Come on! Everybody knows Carhart jackets are bullet proof. I read it on the internet.

All kidding aside, if it ever were to get to a reasonable temperature in Deep East Texas, I would change back to a larger pistol (i.e. P239 from a P938). More to do with concealment, rather than cartridge.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really a switch, but an accessibility issue. If it's cold enough for the Carhartt's, I often stick .357 snub in my outer pocket, especially when riding. Hard to pull a pistol from an IWB in a full cold weather suit.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
No. I carry 9mm hollow points.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I do switch between two guns for carry, but it is determined by where I am going, not by the weather. One is a small gun, the other a big one (10mm SIG P220). Both carried OWB. Here in AZ, anyone switching due to weather would likely have one for hot weather, and another for normal weather. Those are our extremes.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Nope, same gun; Glock 19 with the same ammo.

I do switch my holster and use my OWB Kramer Horsehide belt scabbard instead of my IWB Sparks SSII or Comp Tac (CTAC or MTAC)holsters for most of the fall-winter-spring seasons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
No, and I live in the NE, but then I carry .357sig, all day, every day. If you're going to carry it in the winter, why not carry it all year round?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
When it gets coat weather I switch from 9mm to 357 sig on my daily carry pistols.

I don't. But, what's the reason for your switch from 9 to .357?

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
No. Soft & Weak all year long.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yep-.22 mag in the late spring and summer, 9mm or .38 Fall/Winter to early spring

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

I don't. But, what's the reason for your switch from 9 to .357?

I have more compact pistols in 9mm that conceal better with summer clothing. I also like better penetration through heavy winter garments with 357 sig.Although many feel that is a moot point.

Posts: 12660 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually carry my 239 IWB all year around. In the winter I add a J Frame in my right jacket pocket since I may have trouble getting to my IWB.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No ammo change just because of season. Different pistol?, sometimes with heavier clothing for concealment.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No change due to weather here.
P320C in 357Sig IWB most of the time & my KT P11 9mm for pocket carry in slacks at the office.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post