SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Reignited interest in .44mag
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reignited interest in .44mag Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
My safe has a revolving door.

That's how I describe the guns that have come and gone, some I really should have kept. Like the Anaconda.

This chance find has brought me back to proper magnums. Not that the .357 isn't, but for serious Oompa, it begins at .44.

The Desert Eagle, the Colt Anaconda, the Model 29, I've had them, and not I feel the need to welcome them back. Particularly the Desert Eagle. Which actually I had in .50ae, with a .357 barrel. While I've shot it, I didn't own the .44.

Considering the Dominator is now in my permanent collection, I need to round out things to shoot in .44. So, really, I think it's a the 29, and Deagle.

If the Ruger Deerfield Carbine was still available for a non-dumb price I'd own one immediately. A lever would also be in order.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seek you a stainless 5.5” fluted cylinder round trigger guard super Blackhawk. Holsters well, balanced perfect, and plenty of barrel to get some oomph out of a hot load.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread has made me realize I need to get my S&W 629-4 out and finally shoot it.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 1894 with a Skinner peep sight, fun lever action to shoot.
My next purchase will probably be a 4 inch M29 Classic, debating the blued or polished stainless finish.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
A man has to know his limitations.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have a model 29-3 love it. Don't shoot it much, think it might be time to get it out

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The new colt size vaqueros aren't made for hot rounds like the older red frame guns or the blackhawks can take. Honestly, I'm surprised that gun isn't a 44 special.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a handful of 44s, including 1 lever action rifle. I love shooting them all.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I need to round out things to shoot in .44. So, really... Deagle.

Have a few of them now and then. Can't say there is one model that sticks out more than any other, so I made my own with a few extra parts.

If you aren't in to modifications (or your OCD isn't as bad as mine) the best out-of-the-box .44 Desert Eagle you can get has the muzzle brake.
When Khar bought Magnum Research, they discontinued the brake and opted for porting. Trying to lower production costs or something? The brake was made for about 14 months.

I'd stick with the blue and stainless models. The gold/chrome/tiger/zebra/leopard/ostrich/pimp gun stuff simply is not for me as it is something I do not understand. Confused

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
have three: a 4" 29-2, nickle and factory magna-ported. A 3"629, a small beast. And a Marlin 1894, ten rounds of fun, fun, fun.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What JSB3 said! The Marlin 94 is a great gun.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
My 329NG is rather nifty

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
quote:

The new colt size vaqueros aren't made for hot rounds like the older red frame guns or the blackhawks can take. Honestly, I'm surprised that gun isn't a 44 special.

Are you sure about that? The previous .44 mag Vaqueros and these I believe are on the old big Vaquero frame (same size cylinder as regular super blackhawk)

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
quote:

Are you sure about that? The previous .44 mag Vaqueros and these I believe are on the old big Vaquero frame (same size cylinder as regular super blackhawk)

http://www.taloinc.com/ruger-f...irdhead-stainless-44

It would appear Ruger has dusted off and updated the old Vaquero frame for some of these new offerings. They have the added beef but look more period correct.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe they are. Ruger lists them as 2oz heavier for a similar build to 357/45 guns. Looks the same to me though and their site only shows a 3.75" 44. I would like to lay hands in one to see for sure. The birdshead would be a handy little piece if it'll take the heavy rounds.

If I was looking to feed it a steady diet of hot ammo or hand loads, I would buy the black hawk personally. I also like the dragoon trigger guard, so that's just me.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with a 6" S&W.

Always been a huge fan of the 44. I have a 4" S&W 629 (no dash) that late great Larry Kelly had tuned and ported. Also have a Win 94 Trapper. The S&W was a gift when I graduated college back in 1980 otherwise I would not have picked a 4". The Trapper is a hoot to shoot.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
The dessert Beagle in .44 is a beast. But mine digests anything hot. You can't really go wrong with one.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk.

I have a Desert Yaggle and it pretty much requires you load for it.

SC has a Redhawk and it has been absolutely flawless.

My Anaconda, I don't shoot it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W 629-6. 6 inch.
S&W 29-3 8 3/8 inch.
Original grips on 29.
Ahrends on 629.
Quality, strength, and beauty.

Posts: 31 | Location: Vidalia and Savannah Georgia | Registered: September 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post