SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 gurus (Doublestar ?), a moment?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 gurus (Doublestar ?), a moment? Login/Join 
Picture of KHolm
posted
Hey all,

I have an opportunity to pick up a very lightly used Doublestar C2G combat railed 1911 for $700. MSRP on their site is $1925, but we all know how that goes. It will come with the original Storm Lake hand fit barrel, and additional Storm Lake hand fit threaded barrel, 6x mags and the Doublestar 5.11 case.

I’ve heard of this company before, but not for anything as it relates to the 1911 platform. My question is, can I really go wrong at this price point? I’ve known the original owner for quite some time and it’s in immaculate shape and was built in 2011. It’s ran flawlessly both suppressed and unsupressed, but nearing 1000 rounds of use. Given the host of parts by Greider, Brown, et al, am I making a good decision? I’m reading forged lower, too.

Netting out the extras, I’m paying used SR1911 / Glock 19 money. For those of you in the know, anything to watch out for? Thanks in advance!

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doublestar C2G combat railed 1911

I see that Buds advertises @ $1,104.00

Threaded fitted barrel $200 +/-
5+ extra mags $100+ if they are decent mags.

Seems like a decent deal. But I know nothing about that manufacturer. If you don't like it you can probably turn it around with zero loss.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know of the brand but $700 sounds cheap.
If it has shot "flawlessly" for a whole 1000 rounds (trivial use of a good gun) it is a good deal.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
I don't know of the brand but $700 sounds cheap.
If it has shot "flawlessly" for a whole 1000 rounds (trivial use of a good gun) it is a good deal.

Round count for any firearm of 1k is generally low, I agree. The gun has been sitting on consignment for 5 months at my FFL, so I made the offer yesterday and it was accepted today. I’ve put at least 200 rounds through it myself so I know the gun on a bit of a personal level. The FFL it’s sitting at doesn’t see many buyers for handguns in that price range.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doublestar is manufactured just down the road from me in Winchester, KY. They have a good reputation and excellent customer service.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The only thing I know about Doublestar was the very unimpressive AR lower I owned.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
I didn't care for them when they did their AR business as J&T... took them 2 weeks to sent me a gas key and I'm two hours from them.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I was lucky to shoot a 1911 Double Star pistols at their old factory here in Ky. It was very smooth and accurate to shoot. I only ran three mags through it but I liked it. They are really nice folks I saw them last weekend at Knob Creek. If you have any issues between Nick and Jesse they should take care of you. The only thing I didn’t like was Double Star in the slide. I thought using the bat logo and downsizing the name would look better.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with DS pistols. We have a couple dozen of their rifles at work and we ‘ve had zero problems out of them. They are approaching 10 years now I’d say.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
Update; I bought it! A little more haggling and received the C2G 1911 in the DSC/5.11 bag, Storm Lake NM threaded barrel, new Storm Lake NM non-threaded barrel with Ed Brown bushing, 5 Novak’s mags, 2 WC 47D’s & 2 new WC ETM 10 rounders. I have to admit it’s very nice, albeit used and of course during a good cleaning the grip bushings spun out but it was an easy fix. The VZ Gunner grips are obnoxiously textured, so I’ll be toning that down with a different set. I’ll post pics when I can but for the investment I couldn’t say no. I shot a quick 50 round box on the way home with expected results. It definitely outshoots me.

The ONLY thing I see an issue with is the Novak front sight, which is pinned and slightly loose but I may replace the sights with Dawson FO front and black serrated rear. My communications back and forth with Doublestar with questions and requests have been very swiftly answered and as pleasant as can be.

Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doublestar with questions and requests have been very swiftly answered and

Congrats can’t wait to see it.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post