SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 1911s Why not more popular?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 1911s Why not more popular? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt, SA, and Dan Wesson’s. Unless I just win the lottery I feel that the DW’s are the best gun for the money. I wouldn’t even consider one over a DW.

I think when the match guys start buying the CZ/DW/2011 gun it will put eyes on the DW lineup that weren’t there before.

I have either put money into or wanted to on my other two brands. The DW’s need nothing. Came with Heinie straight 8’s which I like, non ambit safety which I love, and the more I shoot it I realize I could pay to have the trigger lighter but not smoother. It’s custom quality out of the box. Aesthetics. Cleanest rollmarks and no big banners. Yep, I’m a fanboy, I guess. One of my LGS is a Sig dealer and I always look at them but they don’t even raise my interest. I agree with your sentiment on Kimber. Never bought one because my buddy did. No one needs that kind of nonsense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7350 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
Way back when they first came out I wanted a SIG 1911. I went to the local shop and handled a GSR (the original model) and that cured me. It had a crooked hammer.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boston PD swat are issued Sig 1911s. I had training recently with one of them and asked him what he thought of the Sig 1911. He told me it was the best pistol he's ever been issued. When they bought new Sig 1911s a couple of years ago to replace the ones in service, they all tried to get the City to let them buy their old handguns.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
I had a Sig C3 1911. I truly regret selling that gun. I really like the Sig 1911's and I'll pick up another before too long.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 583 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I have two 1911’s and both are “non-Standard”

1. Springfield EMP in 9mm. Having little baby hands, the scaled down dimensions are perfect and it is a very sweet shooter.

2. Sig Tacops full-size in .45. Bought it because it is enhanced for tactical operations, just kidding! I got a smoking deal on it and I just wanted a 1911 in .45ACP. Not a purist so all the little niggles mentioned don’t matter to me. It is a great shooter and hasn’t given me any problems at all.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
To me,

Real 1911 = internal extractor
Fake 1911 = external extractor

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little off subject but does anyone know if the TTT model is still being made?

Only an Armed People Can Be Truly Free ;
Only an Unarmed People Can Ever Be Enslaved- Aristotle

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 115 | Registered: June 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine had a Sig 1911 ages ago. It was a jam-O-matic the whole time he had it. Traded it for a P226 and liked it so much, he bought another P226.

He said he bought the Sig because he saw how well my Kimber 10mm 'worked'. It was the only pistol that had ever temped me to throw it on to the roof of the building and walk away.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
To me,

Fake or not, I’ve got just over 2000 rounds through my XO and it’s never had a failure to extract or other problem. Can’t say that about my Colt.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3956 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
To me,

Fake or not, I’ve got just over 2000 rounds through my XO and it’s never had a failure to extract or other problem. Can’t say that about my Colt.

I'm not even a 1911 fan. But, as I said, to me, a true 1911 doesn't have that external extractor. I'm sure there are reliable and unreliable guns on both camps, so that variable is irrelevant to me.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a firearms instructor I get to see a pretty good mix of 1911 pistols owned by citizens and law enforcement so here we go.... A 1911 is a very loved pistol by me first! From Les Baer to Rock Island I have probably shot most models. The trigger is where most folks go crazy it must feel like a glass rod breaking or it is junk. Under stress you will not notice. So for Sigs I keep a Tactical model for all the kids to shoot when they get board with drastic plastic. Round count unknown really, don't count we just shoot. Looks it looks like a 1911 to me just really improved over a original 1911 with tiny sights and big box of hammer bite to serve up. I would bet my azz on the Sig with Wilson 47d mags any day. So if you want OG get a unmodified blue Colt then get a Sig XO or Tactical then enjoy the old and the new but, shoot them to find your truth...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I have two 1911’s and both are “non-Standard”

1. Springfield EMP in 9mm. Having little baby hands, the scaled down dimensions are perfect and it is a very sweet shooter.

2. Sig Tacops full-size in .45. Bought it because it is enhanced for tactical operations, just kidding! I got a smoking deal on it and I just wanted a 1911 in .45ACP. Not a purist so all the little niggles mentioned don’t matter to me. It is a great shooter and hasn’t given me any problems at all.

I also have a Sig Tacops that I got about 2 years ago. It has been flawless in reliability, and is very accurate. It has nice front strap checkering which I prefer. I would not be concerned in the least about using it for defensive purposes.

I have some 1911's with internal and and some with external extractors. I could care less which extractor as long as it is reliable.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
The model that made me wonder was a Sig 1911 Tacops model! We have two. One chambered in 45 and one chambered in .357Sig.

They are both VERY nice pistols. Other than the integral rails, I like everything about them. Especially the ambi safeties. Because I am left handed. Most 1911 manufacturers could care less about left handed users. Wink

Does anyone know if Boston PD SWAT is using the Tacops models? Anyone know another agency using them? Seems like a good pistol to use. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Cause they are chock-full of garbage Indian parts. They are generally pretty sloppily fit especially in the slide to frame fit. One of the things I really hate about Sig 1911’s is that some have mismatched parts. Stainless slides, barrels, and some controls with nickel plated extractors and mag releases. It just looks lazy. I have had 3 in my life time and compared to some of the other 1911’s I have had they just fall flat.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very glad you posted this thread,
I will stay the hell away

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My reply is purely anecdotal and I don't own one but have been shopping for a 1911 lately. Therefore I haven't taken one apart, but only checked lock-up, fit and finish. I have checked out SA, Kimber, Colt and SIG. Of all of them the fit of the SIGs have been as tight as any, and WAY tighter than the traditional manufacturer, Colt! They seem very smooth as well, and a fairly good value.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sprg03-A3,

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
My reply is purely anecdotal and I don't own one but have been shopping for a 1911 lately. Therefore I haven't taken one apart, but only checked lick-up, fit and finish. I have checked out SA, Kimber, Colt and SIG. Of all of them the fit of the SIGs have been as tight as any, and WAY tighter than the traditional manufacturer, Colt! They seem very smooth as well, and a fairly good value.

Agreed. My XO is 9 years old and it’s fit is better than my 6 year old Colt with a lot fewer rounds down range. I do know that SIG had a lot of problems with their 1911’s when first released, but those issues are long gone.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3956 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify: The Colt I looked at was not a GI replica, but a Gold Cup!

My options are a bit limited as I am not interested in adding a caliber by buying a .45. I own several 9mm pistols and a P220 Elite SAO in 10mm, and my choices are limited accordingly. Having said that the SIGs are as tight as every other 1911 that I have looked at, with the possible exception of a couple of Kimbers, which seem very well fitted. Very nice pistols but not sold on Kimber as the one I owned prior wouldn’t run reliably.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how old the Springfield’s Kimber’s you guys have tested are but modern day offerings from both a crazy tight for production guns. Some new Springfields are reaching Les Baer level of slide to frame fit. Early Sig 1911’s had decent fitting and then they got real sloppy. My last one was a Tacops from 2017ish that I got at a steal (only reason I bought it.) Barrel lock up, bushing fit, and slide to frame fit were way behind the pack of modern 1911’s.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Springfield announced the new Ronin Operator today. Street price for both 9mm and 45 is $700. Looks like a winner.

https://www.springfield-armory...1911-ronin-features/

quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
Just to clarify: The Colt I looked at was not a GI replica, but a Gold Cup!

My options are a bit limited as I am not interested in adding a caliber by buying a .45. I own several 9mm pistols and a P220 Elite SAO in 10mm, and my choices are limited accordingly. Having said that the SIGs are as tight as every other 1911 that I have looked at, with the possible exception of a couple of Kimbers, which seem very well fitted. Very nice pistols but not sold on Kimber as the one I owned prior wouldn’t run reliably.