SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Apex 100-072 Competition kit into M&P 9 M2.0?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apex 100-072 Competition kit into M&P 9 M2.0? Login/Join 
posted
Brownells suggests that the Apex competition kit can be used with M2.0. The kit works well with M1.0 M&P, but a rumor exists that the competition kit might not work in M2.0 Any actual experience with M2.0?
Note the question is about Competition kit of parts that is expected to result in a trigger for competiton, but not for use in carry pistol.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I'd go with what Apex say's *only*. I have the Apex 2.0 kit installed in my 2.0 M&Pand really like it. Extremely smooth, still some take up but reset is really short. Makes the gun even more accurate IMO.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks dry-fly. Probably you installed the parts in 100-062 kit, which is for duty/carry and not for competition.
The 100-062 claims only a small (perhaps one pound-force) reduction in required trigger force. For competition, many desire quite a bit lighter trigger. In the M1.0, the 100-072 does the competition task. Hope someone has tried the 100-072 in a M2.0 and can report results.

Indeed, Apex is expected to know about what can work in M2.0, but Brownell, and its clients, have experience.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Randy Lee
posted Hide Post
Hello,

We don't recommend using the competition kit because depending on the individual pistol, the light trigger return spring may not allow the trigger to return fully forward, rendering the trigger's drop safety disabled. Also, the leverage of the trigger system is greater than the 1.0, so using all the springs and our sear could make the trigger pull weight fall below what we consider safe.

Hope this helps...

------------------------------
"The Dremel is my friend."

Posts: 1462 | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We don't recommend using the competition kit because depending on the individual pistol, the light trigger return spring may not allow the trigger to return fully forward, rendering the trigger's drop safety disabled. Also, the leverage of the trigger system is greater than the 1.0, so using all the springs and our sear could make the trigger pull weight fall below what we consider safe.

Wonderful to hear from you Randy Lee. Basically, the 100-072 kit is too much of a good thing to be used in M2.0. With the 2017 changes to IDPA rules and the advent of a more stiff M&P with longer sight distance, a desire to use M&P 9 M2.0 in competition exists. The factory 6 pound-force trigger limits effectiveness of M&P M2.0 9mm 4.25" in competition. 3 pounds-force is desirable.

Hear plea for a competition kit to be used in M&P M2.0 9mm 4.25" that lowers required trigger force to 3 pounds-force and has the other desirable properties for which Apex is famous. Pistol with this hoped-for kit installed would only be used in competition.

Hope soon to hear the availability of competition kit for M2.0. Thanks. Mac

Mac in Michigan

Picture of Randy Lee
posted Hide Post
Hi Mac,

We are currently working on a kit specific to the M2.0.

That being said, if you have our 2 dot sear (100-063) and USB, you can use the factory trigger return spring and sear spring to get you close to 3.5-3.75 lbs, depending on the tolerances specific to your pistol.

-Randy

------------------------------
"The Dremel is my friend."

Posts: 1462 | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Randy: Oh you wonderful person. You answered the question I wished to ask, but avoidance of being a pest inhibited me from doing so.

The 100-072 in a (M1.0) M&P 9L Pro CORE 5" gets 3.7 pounds force and with a Venom sight I shot it in Bullseye match.

For IDPA and M&P 9 M2.0 4.25", while waiting for your competition kit for M2.0, you have provided an opportunity to get away from the 6 pounds-force trigger.

Many thanks for the help and initiative! Mac

Mac in Michigan

posted Hide Post
Following up on Randy Lee's suggestion to replace sear and striker block:
Replaced sear in older M&P 9 M2.0 4.25 with 100-063 and trigger force went from 6 lb-f to 4.5 lb-f.
Replaced sear in new M&P 9 M2.0 4.25 with 100-063 and trigger force went from 6 lb-f to 4.2 lb-f.
When I can get the rear sights off, I will change the sear-block within the slide.

Many thanks to Randy Lee for suggestions.

Eventual competition kit for M2.9 can be expected to lighten trigger some more.

Several interesting 9mm striker fired pistols are now available including: P10C, 509, Barreta , PPQ, and Canik that are candidates for IDPA (4.375 " barrel or shorter) under the 2017 rules. However, the M&P M2.0 9mm 4.25 has the supper advantage of Apex parts!

. . . as well as superb pointing, fit to hand, glue to hand, and a low price. Mac

Mac in Michigan

posted Hide Post
The remainder of the story: (Factory sear replaced with Apex two-dot sear 100-063)

Replaced the factory striker block in two M&P M2.0 9mm 4.25" with Apex 100-075. Essentially no change in required trigger force of about 4.5 pounds-force. Need to wait for Apex to develop set of springs in order to get closer to desired 3 pounds-force.

While sight removed, the sight set was replaced with Williams Gun Sight Company #70962 "Fire Sights" click adjustable in elevation and windage.

4.5 is a significant improvement over initial 6 pounds-force for pistols to be used in IDPA.

The tab on the trigger bar that pushes on the striker-block looks as if it could use some polishing with metal polish and q-tip.

I predict that the M2.0 will be a big hit as more people discover its attributes and because Apex will supply the bits of extra not available in pistol from factory. Randy Lee deserves an at-a-boy.

Mac in Michigan