SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cleaning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning Login/Join 
posted
This weekend turned out to be a gun cleaning weekend. I did my 686, 21, and started my 228. For some reason the sig is harder to clean than other guns. The mags in particular seem to be difficult to clean. I normally use Break Free and have been happy with that. Two of the mags were purchased recently at a local gun store. All my P228 mags are Sig factory zipper backs. These last two mags have stickers placed on the side for identification and price.

The stickers are almost impossible to get off using CLP and a nylon brush. Any suggestions?

Posts: 238 | Location: SW OH | Registered: September 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xfarfuldog:
This weekend turned out to be a gun cleaning weekend. I did my 686, 21, and started my 228. For some reason the sig is harder to clean than other guns. The mags in particular seem to be difficult to clean. I normally use Break Free and have been happy with that. Two of the mags were purchased recently at a local gun store. All my P228 mags are Sig factory zipper backs. These last two mags have stickers placed on the side for identification and price.

The stickers are almost impossible to get off using CLP and a nylon brush. Any suggestions?

W D 40, I have never found a glue on label it won't get off

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I've used a product called "Goo Gone" with some success removing stubborn stickers. However, it has a citrus smell so it may make people think you're carrying fruit in your mag pouches. Big Grin

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used plastic razor blades for peeling off stickers. I believe you can get them from marine/boating supply shops.

For most sticker residues rubbing alcohol has worked well for me. For more stubborn residues, denatured alcohol did the trick.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kroil oil.

Posts: 76 | Location: United States | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hairdryer and then rubbing alcohol. Follow up with a good preservative.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why take them off? Just curious.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why take them off? First they do not belong there. Second they are hideous. Thirdly as a former firearms instructor, I have seem them shred over time and cause a jam.

Posts: 238 | Location: SW OH | Registered: September 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post