SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt M45A1, why do I like it so?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Colt M45A1, why do I like it so? Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted
We got one into the shop. It resides next to the rest of the Colts that I don't give a rat's ass about. But yet there's something likable about this one. Sure I know the Marines have kicked it to the curb. But it actually has a nice trigger by 1911 standards, and not just run-of-the-mill Colt standards. The finish and fitting seems more than acceptable even at its loftier price point. I'd rather have the Duty Finish Valor that it shares the display case with, but there's something about this Colt that draws me to it, tac rail and all. Maybe it's the proverbial moth to flame melodrama, but there it is. I'm not worried about getting seared. Weird.

I suppose that some things just can't be explained. Against my usual distrust of current Colts, particularly their sad rifles that are trickling in, I wouldn't mind having this one.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
soggy, can you sneak a crappy cell phone pic of it in the case? Just want the visual of the perplexity of what you are so eloquently describing.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
We talking the hand fitted, hand tooled and comes with a snazzy green Pelican case and cleaning kit? Same one that went through the Colt Custom shop with Uber tight tolerances? Same pistol in the MARSOC lockers at Macdill? Couldn't imagine why its calling its siren song to you Wink

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
We talking the hand fitted, hand tooled and comes with a snazzy green Pelican case and cleaning kit? Same one that went through the Colt Custom shop with Uber tight tolerances? Same pistol in the MARSOC lockers at Macdill? Couldn't imagine why its calling its siren song to you Wink

It is my understanding that the MARSOC guns were production line guns for parts compatibility. That doesn't work with custom built pistols. I really do like it as well it's just that damn series 80 system.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Report This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
That is a nice Colt. Ive got my eye on a LNIB Colt at my local Cherrys Fine Guns. 5 inch Lightweight Government.

I missed the Colt USMC railgun they had. But this would be a nice consolation prize.

Buy it, shoot it, love it! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

It is my understanding that the MARSOC guns were production line guns for parts compatibility. That doesn't work with custom built pistols. I really do like it as well it's just that damn series 80 system.

I believe you're correct. There is the CCS version and the production line version. The CCS (Colt Custom Shop) is supposedly very tight and carries a pretty good price too.
My LGS had the production version but I passed. Rail doesn't look right on a 1911 to me.
I did however purchase a commander length Colt last weekend. Series 70. Fine pistol so far and all black. That one called my name.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
soggy, can you sneak a crappy cell phone pic of it in the case? Just want the visual of the perplexity of what you are so eloquently describing.

Alas, my days off are upon me. It'll be a couple of days before I will be back in the shop.

Normally I don't like rails on 1911s either, but it doesn't bother me with this one. Or at least I'm willing to overlook it given the close relationship the gun has to the batch the Marines have/had. No Pelican case though with this one, only the usual Colt blue polymer box.

I'm surprised at the current pricing for this gun. Before their recent bout with bankruptcy, as I recall these civilian guns were significantly pricier when I went searching for them a couple of times for customers back then. Never actually ordered one back then; after reporting what it would cost the customers went in other directions. This price adjustment must be another sign as to how cash-strapped Colt is these days.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Your spot on about the MARSOC pistol. Probably a good thing you have a few days off. I'm sure the siren will be awaiting your return however! Enjoy your time off
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:

Alas, my days off are upon me. It'll be a couple of days before I will be back in the shop.

Normally I don't like rails on 1911s either, but it doesn't bother me with this one. Or at least I'm willing to overlook it given the close relationship the gun has to the batch the Marines have/had. No Pelican case though with this one, only the usual Colt blue polymer box.

I'm surprised at the current pricing for this gun. Before their recent bout with bankruptcy, as I recall these civilian guns were significantly pricier when I went searching for them a couple of times for customers back then. Never actually ordered one back then; after reporting what it would cost the customers went in other directions. This price adjustment must be another sign as to how cash-strapped Colt is these days.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:

There were two different versions of this gun (not sure if there still is). One was hand built in the Colt Custom Shop and came in a fitted green Pelican case. It usually went for $2200 give or take. The other (more common) version was built on the regular line and came in a standard Colt box. It runs around $1500 or so. The original USMC marked ones (both versions) are highly sought after. The marking was changed from "USMC" on the slde to "M45A1" at the request of the USMC (or so it goes). Early ones were also cerakoated; that was later changed to Ion-bond

Many times I have though of buying one as it will probably be the last Colt 1911 that was ever officially issued by the military.

Good info on all the differences.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=468875

posted Hide Post
The promised pic...

And considering the sad news about Colt that I found out about today, yes I'm seriously thinking about buying it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
And considering the sad news about Colt that I found out about today, yes I'm seriously thinking about buying it.

What news is that? I tried searching both Google and Yahoo with no success.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt layoffs

I posted this to the Colt Cobra thread earlier this evening.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Colt layoffs

So, Colt is about to die again, eh? Is it their 9th life, yet? Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Colt layoffs

So, Colt is about to die again, eh? Is it their 9th life, yet? Roll Eyes

Probably their 13th. And a half. This time though it feels very different to me. It's only been a year since they came out of the last bankruptcy, and now they have no tangible financial upside to entice a suitor to bail them out. Would not surprise me if they go away, though I suspect someone will see value in the brand.

Probably will be swallowed up by the same company who sells those "Bell & Howell" flashlights, the ones that can stand up to a Hummer. At least according to the TV ads. Or Freedom Group. Frown

posted Hide Post
That's sad to hear. It's been a pretty poorly-run company for a long time, and I hope they recover again.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
On another note, I just bought a colt competition 9mm in s/s. It's a very very well fit pistol for the money. Very tight barrel fit and slide to frame fit, overall a nice pistol for the money.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I have one of the early cerakoted versions. It's very tight, nice gun. That ion-bond looks really good.

She made a good model when I was toying with remote flash set ups.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I normally don't like rails on 1911s but that does look good. My vote would be buy it.

Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
What I can't understand about Colt is that they need not be in dire straits, but they are.

The Colt brand has the same cachet with gun buyers as Harley Davidson does with motorcycles. Colt is an American legacy brand. They need to get some investors who care about the brand and build their consumer business. They can turn things around if they:

1. Benchmark Dan Wesson in manufacturing and quality control methods.

2. Reintroduce the Python as a top quality revolver using modern manufacturing methods.

3. Benchmark BCM for their AR business. Build multiple versions of their AR and sell it as a package or in individual parts. Build AR parts that can be installed on other rifles as "upgraded" parts.

4. Benchmark Springfield's custom shop. Hire an experienced custom 1911 builder like Ed Brown as a consultant to run the shop while it gets on its feet. Hire more gunsmiths as demand allows to lower their wait time for custom work. Build some "custom-only" models like the Springfield Pro.

5. Stop expecting the government teet to sustain them as their primary customer in the long term.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Report This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
They are all up in arms over at 1911 forum because Colt fired/laid off an employee named Brent who apparently was great at CS and handled all of the forum members issues. Even Hickok45 chimed in to voice his displeasure with Colt's decision to fire the guy. Apparently the Sky is falling in the Colt fanboy world is what I gathered reading those threads.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Report This Post