SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How big would the target have to be for you to hit it?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How big would the target have to be for you to hit it? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'll have to try this next time I'm at the range to see. I don't usually shoot past 7-10 yards.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Standard NRA 50ft target is the size I shoot at 75’

So, I’m used to the distance, all shots on target.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 Out of 5 at 100 yards prone with my 3”.357 Model 60 on gallon jugs. 25 yards with other Cary guns I practice for 10” minimum standing, much faster than 2 minutes.

Posts: 190 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have shot a 41 magnum Smith at 70is yards and cold fairly easily hit a propane tank. I doubt I could do that with any auto pistols.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
<12"

About the same here on average.

When I go to the range this weekend to put some more rounds through my 365, I'll try this out.

Are we talking range ammo or carry ammo?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
You should be able to hit 8" plates at that distance without missing. Two minutes is plenty of time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: agony,

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10" with my 1911s or Sig Ps

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
At 12 seconds per shot, hitting a IDPA head (-0) zone...4" circle) at just over 18 yards should be a given that all 10 rounds would be on target.

Even shooting fairly slow, I should be able to put them all in with my Kahr CW9...including the reload...in less than a minute

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3"x5" Vertical card as of a couple weeks ago. I've done 9 out of 10 in an NRA B-8 10-ring twice at 25yds (75 feet) while shooting the FBI instructor qual.

Posts: 178 | Location: SoCal | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I know I can hit a bowling pin at 45 feet 5 out of 7 times with my carry gun in under 30 seconds. That's about 7 out of 10 on a target that's 4.5 x 9 inches (not counting the top of the pin). So if you move it out 10 more feet but give me 4x the amount of time, I should still be able to hit it that often.

Now the $64,000 question - why that distance, time and hit percentage but not a set target size?

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
At just under 20yds with a 2 minute time limit, I feel pretty confident that I can put at least 7 of 10 rds in the head of a "picture" bad guy or an IDPA target with my G26....so approx 6"X6".

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Last range trip I was shooting both of my .22lr pistols at 25 yards. Just for the hell of it, I loaded my Sig 938 with some 115g ball and shot 5 of 6 in a 4 inch circle at 25 yards. First time I've ever shot it over 15yards.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Two nights ago, a buddy of mine came out to have dinner and do some shooting. we both are no experts by all means. but, will say a little hidden competition between us.

He used a Kahr CM9 at 15yds. 6 rounds in 30 seconds, all in a 6x6" area.

Me, Shield 45, same distance and time, with 7 rounds, all in a 6x6" area.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a 5-6” circle with my PPS M2 at 20 yards.
https://imgur.com/a/01FMf2f

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Conservative estimate, 8" with a full sized or compact pistol. G19 or larger.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
3x5 card at 17 uards

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
The maths are too damned hard. I can hit a 55 gallon drum lid 6/10 at 100 yards with my P-239.

Dividing by the square root of pie ( or brownies I never get that one right ) I'd say 8.75 inches, definitely not meters.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me and my p365 the target needs to be eight inches diameter.

Posts: 76 | Location: Rapid City, South Dakota | Registered: February 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
55 feet is about 18 yards.

I don't usually shoot specifically at 18 yards, but I shoot at 15 yards frequently. That's one of the standard distances on our LE pistol ranges: 3 yards, 7 yards, 15 yards, and 25 yards

At the decently slow rate of about 1 to 2 seconds per round, I can routinely shoot about 80% to 90% of my rounds within the 10 ring of a B-27 target at 15 yards. The 10 ring is around 4 inches by 6 inches. It's the two inner circles on the B-27 target, including the smallest ring with the X as well as the next largest ring. (The other 10-20% will be within the 9 ring, which is roughly 8 inches by 10 inches.)

Given 12 seconds per shot, which is an incredibly slow rate, I suspect I could keep all 10 within the 10 ring at 18 yards. So at least 4" x 6", and likely a bit smaller since you're only looking for 70% hits.

So for 7 out of 10 shots in 2 minutes at 18 yards, I'll say roughly 3 to 4 inches.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
At 12 seconds per shot, hitting a IDPA head (-0) zone...4" circle) at just over 18 yards should be a given that all 10 rounds would be on target.

Even shooting fairly slow, I should be able to put them all in with my Kahr CW9...including the reload...in less than a minute

When I had my CW9, I could easily hit a 11"X 20" steel silhouette at 75yrds, with at least 5 rounds a mag. Blew my friends mind! Them CW9s can flat out shoot!! My 20yr old Son picks up my LCP the other day at the range, and hits that same 11x20 off hand at 80 yards in 4 shots. That feat blew my mind!LOL

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post