SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How big would the target have to be for you to hit it?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How big would the target have to be for you to hit it? Login/Join 
posted
With your carry handgun,
At 55 feet ,
hit it 7 times out of ten rounds?
in under 2 minutes
just curious

12 inchs in diameter ?
15 ?
24 inches ?
bigger?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Depends on the gun and good day vs bad day. With my Xcarry larely I’m keeping thing in a 6 inch circle at 55 ft. That’s shooting controlled but not slowly. On a good day it’s 3 inches, but that’s not typical. I shoot by myself most of the time and it’s nice to shoot with others on occasion. Gives me a reality check vs comparing what I read online or in magazines. I always start at 75 ft and work my way in. Speeding up as I get closer. Big difference between 40 and 50 ft for me. Red dots seem to help all around.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Well, 5 To Go in Steel Challenge has one of the 10" plates at 54'. That would be possible with my current P229 carry gun, but might be pretty tough with the P365 that I want to start carrying. However, I can hold the 365 inside a USPSA head box (roughly 6"x6") at ~8 yards. So if you double the distance and keep the size relative, I guess that would be a 12"x12" target.

With it being 7 of 10, the 10" target might be possible. 12 seconds per shot is a long time. Most people probably wouldn't use it all.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m going to try that next time. Based on groups on larger targets, I’d say 9-12.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a variety of guns but I'd say I'd be pretty confident to keep it in the head at the range. I'd be a bit more confident with some over others.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
<12"

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a good day, a paper plate, every other day the side of a barn.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Best pistol shot I ever had was approximately 100 yards, gallon jug, 1 out of 3 from an S&W 906.

So, I think I could hit your 7" mark at least seven times at 55 feet.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Two minutes is a long time for 10 shots; 12 seconds per trigger pull. I may be able to hit 7/10 in 4-5 inches.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
With your carry handgun, At 55 feet, hit it 7 times out of ten rounds? In under 2 minutes, just curious

8" circle

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
55 feet and with two minutes? That means zero stress, and no adrenaline to deal with. 9 out of 10 in a 3-5 inch circle. Plenty of time to line up each shot. Basically bulls-eye range shooting. Now if you add a stress condition, things would be very different.

Posts: 3250 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The diameter of the bull on a 50 foot bullseye pistol target would be my standard, I think that is about 4-5”, so for a fudge factor with a small carry gun I would say 6”

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Two minutes is a long time for 10 shots; 12 seconds per trigger pull. I may be able to hit 7/10 in 4-5 inches.

That was my first thought....Two minutes???

Faster horses, younger women,
older whiskey and more money.

Posts: 7 | Location: South Coast of Mississippi | Registered: July 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
1.21 gw

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
2 minutes? Plenty of time to lay down and shoot prone. Smile

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my best day, with my best gun, with my best load, I once hit 70 out of 70 rounds on a paper plate. I can probably never do it again and, as luck would have it, there were no witnesses. I also once hit nearly every silhouette target at a shoot in Texas, without knocking them over so I was disqualified. That was with an AMT Hardballer and cheap Phillipine ammo. These days I concentrate hard out to 15 yards and can usually hit a 5 inch bright yellow target most of the time. My wife says if I get much worse I'm going to be restricted to a 5 shot 45 colt and contact ranges. She calls it the "blind man's gun."

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4" for your parameters and I could probably beat 7/10 most of the time. To go faster I'd need bigger. For calibration I can shoot 10" steel plates at 20 yards (part of our normal steel plate shoot) with a general score of 40-45 seconds hitting 20/24 plates with 3 reloads included per the rules. I'm old and my intrinsic accuracy is near 3-4", younger people or shooting .22lr for example could probably live on smaller plates. I never miss the long plate on 5 to go and its 10", and most other people don't as well and that's running at speed.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Easy at 12’ with good trigger control. Take a OsSpec class. They had us shoot a man sized plate ( think uspsa a and c zones) at 100 yards! Didn’t think I could with a p320 but darn if I could if I did as I was taught. Bill drills on an 8’plate at 50 yards was doable, and at 25 yards felt pretty reasonable.
Take some classes and you will be surprised what you do !

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
2 min. That’s plenty of time for me to walk 40 feet and shoot 10 rounds. Wink

Depends on the Gun but I’d say 11x16 inches realistically. The indoor range where I have shot most as of late used roughly 11x17 targets and on the rare occasion that I would shoot at max range 50-55 feet I could generally stay on target. Easier with all steel/metal pistols harder with Tupperware. I am not really a great shot.

Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
13.65" x 12.77"

I can usually hit 8" plates at 15-20 yards 70% or better at speed. Sadly I don't shoot much better if I took the whole two minutes. This is why I do steel challenge and USPSA, I'd be really bad at bulls eye

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post