SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Mods you are OK with for an EDC...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mods you are OK with for an EDC... Login/Join 
posted
I respect those on this forum and am curious as what mods you find acceptable and others you would never consider for an EDC weapon.

Posts: 111 | Location: Alabama | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Any mods that render the gun less reliable is unacceptable.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much what he said. ^^^

You don’t need or want a 1/2lb pull on an EDC.

Smooth out the trigger pull, make the trigger break crisper, yes.
Lighter? No. (Unless you have something like a 12lb pull...) shorten the trigger pull is another option.

Something to gain better accuracy-
Fitted barrel, “match” grade barrel...

Upgrade the Sights, depending on what you have out of the box.

A good action job- again, depends on what it’s like out of the box.

Polymer frames? Possibly a stippling job.
Toss on different grips if you have a pistol with grips.

Maybe a mag-well. Then you might need new mags...

A good, reliable holster also needs to be considered.

This is depending on what gun you have, and more importantly, how much money you’re willing to spend.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8340 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a Glock: Sights, Extended Slide Release Lever and if needed, a Polydat trigger.
On Sigs: Pretty much nothing. I ship them back to Sig for re-hab when they get well used.
On 1911s: Sights and grips.
That said, I usually buy a potential EDC gun with the features I want already on board from the factory.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pocket P365 has a grayguns grip module. I replaced the curved trigger with straight. I'll put an aftermarket striker in there one of these days. Crowned barrel.

My G43 has Trijicon HD sights, a glock gadget striker control device, a precision overwatch trigger, vickers mag release, and pearce baseplates for the magazines.

My G32 personal carry uses an agency arms minimalist mag well, vickers mag releases and slide release, glock gadget striker control device, minus connector, Trijicon XR sights, crowned barrel, polished internals, and vickers baseplates on factory mags.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Q said.

There are those primarily cosmetic 'upgrades' that just thoroughly annoy me. Gucci gun. Lightening holes for the sake of lightening holes. Skeletonized, rice racer mentality shit. Why not just invite all of that lint and crap to intermingle with the gun's lube...contamination...that's a SMART THING, right? RIGHT?

Okay...time for me to get back on my meds...

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Sights. I carry a Glock 19 and my only change is from factory sights to XS express defensive sights. I don't mess with anything else on a carry gun.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
For a carry gun, I prefer to leave it alone, or just upgrade the sights. I firmly believe the manufacturers / designers have conducted the most thorough evaluations on all the components.

There's been an awful lot of talk about carry guns and liability issues, and to my knowledge, there hasn't been a test case as of yet, but I really don't want to be the test case.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Sights, grips(or grip tape/talons etc) and lights

Nothing else.

I consider a laser in the rare cases I have one a “sight” if you will.

I want to be able to say truthfully that I wanted to be able to see what I was aiming at and that I have enough control and sighting that in the God awful need to fire I only hit the threat.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Mainly night sights, weaponlights, and non-permanent grip changes (grip panels, rubber slip-on grips, grip tape, attachable beavertails, etc.).

I'll consider on a case by case basis installing trigger components from a reputable manufacturer, provided I then test them sufficiently to ensure 100% reliability. But that's generally unnecessary.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my M&P 2.0 Talon grips as the standard grip texture is uncomfortably aggressive for me. Night sights. Thinking about Apex trigger.

Unacceptable: Rainbow refinishing....

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Sights and grips/SS grip screws due to corrosion factor in monsoon AZ months. If my 1911s have ambidextrous safeties, remove them.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock night sights. That is all.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
Glock 26 Gen 3. Shaved finger grooves. Added night sights and a HYVE Technologies base plate. Mostly geared to making it fit my paw.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My Glocks get extended slide stop and slide release, a flat trigger face if they were serrated, trijicon HD sights. Some have Talon grips

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Nothing that defeats factory safety values.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bschuu
posted Hide Post
For EDC -
Grip enhancements (module, talon grip, etc).
Sights (iron or optics)
Lights
Trigger (curved to straight)

Everything else is stock.

"I've heard it said that God made all men, but Samuel Colt made all men equal."

Posts: 138 | Location: CA --> TN | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
I usually put good sights on my carry guns and call it a day.

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I put a smooth trigger, oem '-' connector and sights on a G19/32

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't have them already on it, night sights.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post