SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Texas DPS and Sig 320
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas DPS and Sig 320 Login/Join 
Picture of hctr154
posted Hide Post
Officially, the switch to 9mm was due to recent advancements in defensive 9mm ammo....and the 9mm certainly performs much better than it ever has.

Unofficially, it's a cost issue.

Posts: 334 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: February 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
The 9mm "equaling or exceeding" the .357 Sig is a matter of opinion, not fact. It all depends on how you 'score' the success. The FBI way over rates penetration in determining what a 'success' is, it's just their opinion.

Plenty of other folks recognize that high velocity, lightweight rounds (the old 125 gr 357 Mag and the ISP 115 gr +P+ 9mm) were extremely effective and would not be considered 'successful' according to today's FBI standards, despite the fact they were historically incredibly reliable manstoppers.

The .357 Sig was built around that dynamic, not the current FBI dynamic. I personally side with the .357 Sig thinking. Yes, nines are somewhat better than they were in 1980, but the principles are still the same. Expansion and tissue damage are a result of velocity, which are qualities I desire in a defensive round. The penetration will take care of itself.

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do think the 9 mm is a lot better round than back a few years but when I see the big ole boys with the hoodie and weigh in at 265 to 300 I think they can soak more 9rounds up than say a good 40 cal gold dot or HST

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
How many rounds do these guys fire from their 320 every year ? and do they get all the free ammo they want here in PA State guys get one box a year .

I don't know of any LE agency whose officers get all the free ammo they want... Maybe (and it's a big maybe) for a few agencies' top tier specialized teams, like the FBI's HRT, but certainly not for everyone.

My agency used to be very generous with 500 rounds of practice ammo every year. But that went away with the slump in the economy, the spike in ammo prices, and the dearth of supply thanks to the various ammo panics. A few years lately we've gotten a couple boxes, but most years we get none. Ammo is still provided if you attend certain firearms training classes, but otherwise, if you want to practice on your own time, you have to buy your own practice ammo. 52 rounds of duty ammo is provided at annual qualifications, when you shoot up the previous years' duty ammo.

My agency cut back to 50 rounds a week, which is 2600 rounds a year in addition to the 200 rounds we fire at qualification. It used to be 100 rounds a week, but that stopped with the recent ammo shortages. That being said, I would guess that less than 20 officers take advantage of the free ammo and range time per week... we have almost 600 sworn officers. We also have a very large indoor range that is climate controlled and very well ventilated. I kick myself when I miss a week, I can imagine the guys that never take advantage of it. It shows in qualification.

As to the original post.... I am issued a P226 in .40. I know the armored are hot on the p320 and Smith and Wesson M&Ps. I don't really want to switch.... that being said, I'd rather do the p320 than the junk m&ps.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just was up back at my range and put another 100 rounds through my full size 320 in 9mm it was flawless the ammo was Fed Alum and turk 123 gr nato gun never missed a beat .

Picture of toocool
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any LE agency whose officers get all the free ammo they want... Maybe (and it's a big maybe) for a few agencies' top tier specialized teams, like the FBI's HRT, but certainly not for everyone.

My agency used to be very generous with 500 rounds of practice ammo every year. But that went away with the slump in the economy, the spike in ammo prices, and the dearth of supply thanks to the various ammo panics. A few years lately we've gotten a couple boxes, but most years we get none. Ammo is still provided if you attend certain firearms training classes, but otherwise, if you want to practice on your own time, you have to buy your own practice ammo. 52 rounds of duty ammo is provided at annual qualifications, when you shoot up the previous years' duty ammo.[/QUOTE]

Many years ago I worked for the Dept. of Defense Police at Great Lakes Naval Training Station and we were able to get all the practice ammo we wanted...no limit. Of course, it was .38 Special, 200-grain FMJ...I think I could throw a baseball faster than that ammo shot!

Gary

"A child of five could understand this. Someone fetch me a child of five."
-Groucho Marx

Posts: 969 | Registered: July 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SGT45
posted Hide Post
Other than Texas DPS- Anyone know of other LE (local, county, state or federal) issuing the P320?

SGT 45
P320 Compact 9mm w/ MS (3)
P320 Compact 9mm FDE
P320 Compact/Carry 9mm FDE
P320 Compact .45 w/MS
P938
P229
--- Lots of Glocks

Posts: 437 | Location: Gettysburg,PA USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Oklahoma Highway Patrol went to it about a year and a half ago...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...ol-turns-to-sig-320/

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
I believe there are several agencies that issues it now. I don't have a list handy, but I'll try and get with my Sig LE rep and see if he can get me a list.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Based on a quick Google, here's a partial list:

Texas DPS
Oklahoma Highway Patrol
Hawaii DPS
West Valley City, UT PD
Columbia, SC PD
Novato, CA PD
Sanford, FL PD
Bedford County, TN Sheriff's Office
Pasco County, FL Sheriff's Office
Morris County, NJ Sheriff's Office
Roscommon County, MI Sheriff’s Office
High Point, NC PD
Methuen, MA PD
Westford, MA PD
Jacksonville, AR PD
Hooksett, NH PD
Mishawaka, IN PD
University of Cincinnati PD
Glade Spring, VA PD
Howell, NJ PD
Chester, OH PD
North Miami, FL PD
Stanislaus County, CA Probation
Laredo, TX PD
Ames, IA PD
Lehigh County, PA Sheriff’s Office
Hudson, NH PD
Manchester, NH PD
Scott County, IA Sheriff's Office
Story County, IA Sheriff's Office

Posts: 32507 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
NC SBI is transitioning to 320's in .45 ACP.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hctr154:
Officially, the switch to 9mm was due to recent advancements in defensive 9mm ammo....and the 9mm certainly performs much better than it ever has.

Unofficially, it's a cost issue.

There is iron in your words for all men to hear.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGT45:
Other than Texas DPS- Anyone know of other LE (local, county, state or federal) issuing the P320?

University of Iowa Police

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Greensboro Police Department is transitioning from the Sig 229 in 40 to the 320 in 40. It is a slow transition with teething issues encountered in the 1st batch of pistols.

Still beats the m&p 45s the County Sheriffs office uses. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SGT45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Greensboro Police Department is transitioning from the Sig 229 in 40 to the 320 in 40. It is a slow transition with teething issues encountered in the 1st batch of pistols.

Still beats the m&p 45s the County Sheriffs office uses. Regards 18DAI

What kind of issues 18DAI?

SGT 45
P320 Compact 9mm w/ MS (3)
P320 Compact 9mm FDE
P320 Compact/Carry 9mm FDE
P320 Compact .45 w/MS
P938
P229
--- Lots of Glocks

Posts: 437 | Location: Gettysburg,PA USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
FTE's is what I was told. Due to an unspecified "barrel issue".

Sig took back the first batch and a few weeks later delivered another batch for the next academy class. No more issues reported.

Caused some consternation as everyone in the 1st class had to then qualify again with Sig P229s. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TX DPS first made the decision to switch from .357 sig to 9mm. Last I heard it was a 147 grain +p+ bonded round. Performance of 9mm ammo has improved since DPS went with .357sig 20 years ago. Cost and availability were also factors. .357 SIG ammo is regionally popular in TX, and VA/NC so the big ammo companies only make a few production runs a year vs 9mm which is in constant production.

The initial switch to S&W M&Ps in 9mm did not go well. The guns had significant issues and there were questions about how the M&P was selected. It was, shall we say a bit murky.

As a result, TX DPS conducted an open testing process which involved road troopers and firearms instructors from the field. Several guns, including the M&P did not make the cut. The three which passed standards were the P320, the HK VP9 and the Glock 17 Gen 4. DPS chose the P320 and have been issuing them to recruit classes since 2015. Current troopers have the option to switch or stick with the P226, at least for now. There have been no significant issues with the p320's.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the L/E package W-320-9-c and a new full size in 9 and I have no problems with the guns and run any ammo I grab going out the door .

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Looks like we can add ICE to the list of LE agencies using the P320.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/.../02/22/__trashed-21/

Posts: 32507 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sincere congrats to the The D-2016 class, graduating yesterday in Austin. Another 134 Sig P320's took to the roads & hills of Texas. Long may they serve with both honor & distinction!
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
TX DPS first made the decision to switch from .357 sig to 9mm. Last I heard it was a 147 grain +p+ bonded round. Performance of 9mm ammo has improved since DPS went with .357sig 20 years ago. Cost and availability were also factors. .357 SIG ammo is regionally popular in TX, and VA/NC so the big ammo companies only make a few production runs a year vs 9mm which is in constant production.

The initial switch to S&W M&Ps in 9mm did not go well. The guns had significant issues and there were questions about how the M&P was selected. It was, shall we say a bit murky.

As a result, TX DPS conducted an open testing process which involved road troopers and firearms instructors from the field. Several guns, including the M&P did not make the cut. The three which passed standards were the P320, the HK VP9 and the Glock 17 Gen 4. DPS chose the P320 and have been issuing them to recruit classes since 2015. Current troopers have the option to switch or stick with the P226, at least for now. There have been no significant issues with the p320's.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post