SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 26 -- What is the "best generation"?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 26 -- What is the "best generation"? Login/Join 
posted
As much as I like my G43, and as anxious as I am for Maryland to "approve" the G48, a lot of people here and elsewhere rave about the G26.
Which generation do folks recommend?

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’m partial to the Gen 5 but that’s just me.

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Gen 5 is my pick as well. I never minded the finger grooves on the Gen 4 G19, but I just wasn’t a fan of them on the Gen 4 G26. Losing those finger grooves was a huge improvement on the Gen 5 guns.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
For me...gen 3 is everything you need and nothing you don't.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife made the switch to the Gen 3 26 in 2005. She has been EDCing it ever since, it fits her hand perfectly. She has three of them.

I found a used Gen 3 with a custom grip reduction and stippling job at my range for sale - first 26 that I have ever really liked.

My father has a Gen 4 26, he had the Crimson Trace Laser Grip on it, but has removed it and put a CT Laser Guard on it now, he really likes his Gen 4.

My buddy picked up a Gen 5 26. He's a lefty and likes the ambi slide stop and the fact that the mag release can be swapped (same on the Gen 4).

What is the "best generation?" I guess it can vary between people a little Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I've carried my 3rd Gen since buying from another forum member about 10 years ago. I'm not sure which is better or worse but I've deliberately never given the 4th/5th 26 a hard look because I don't NEED to replace it.

Besides, I'm holding out for a 43x when Glock decides they want to sell more and release the black on black version.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've Gen4 milled for an RMR. Very adequate for it does and not enough difference to consider an upgrade but, if I were to buy now, I'd definitely go with Gen5. I prefer Gen5 triggers over any other generations, Gen5, like Gen4, has adequate grip surface treatment which Gen3 lacks, and absence of finger groove is just an icing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YVK,

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I'm perfectly happy with my Gen 3 G26s. I see no need to go beyond.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16688 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Gen3 suits me just fine to where I see no need to get anything newer.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15570 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 26 and a 27 Gen 3 and have had NO issues at all.

Posts: 119 | Location: Ashland Ohio | Registered: December 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my 26.4 but would be happy with any generation.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Glock 26 it just don't matter to me at all. Any Gen Glock 26 is GTG.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 4 but its finger grooves are shaved so I guess I'd say 4 or 5? I like the Gen 4+ RSA though that might just be paranoia. I think alot of Gen 5 features (excluding the 19 pinky thing) are well thought out. I'd say 4 or 5 depending on if you like the grooves or are a lefty.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I EDC a Gen3 26. Best trigger of any of them.
To me, the G4s and 5s trigger feel exactly the same --> Heavier than they need to be.

I'd get rid of a G4 26 but the wife likes the grip size.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I like early gen3 with frying pan finish, no MIM.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't make any difference.

The G26 is a good pistol. A bit blocky for its size, but good.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I carried a Gen 3 G26 daily for 8 years. The finish still looks like new (except on the sights), and it still runs like a top. I actually really like the finger grooves on the G26...I didn't use mag extensions, and felt that they were well positioned to lock my fingers in on the gun. in the last year I've switched to a P320 subcompact for daily carry (dept issue), and I feel that the grooveless grip isn't quite as positive as the grip on my old G26.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a gen3 26 with the really good “Crinkle” teflony finish and could never really warm up to it UNTIL recently, Thank you HYVE Technolgies and now it is my alternate carry gun!! The gen3’s are bulletproof and proven as much as the gen4’s, and internal parts from the gen4’s are all backwards compatible. The gen5’s are not and all unique to the gen5’s, that may or may not be an issue for you but just an FYI. I was made aware of that by one of Glocks Armorers as I live around the corner from the factory in Smyrna having them install some new nightsights for me. The only real question on the g26 gen’s is do you like finger grooves on the frontstrap, y/n, the grip texture difference, y/n and changeable backstraps and mag release, y/n, or the gen5 finger groovless frame and gen5 upgrades. Not sure if hyve basepads are for gen5 yet, email them or call. The 48x is basically a slimline single stacked 10 round gen5 grip/trigger improved g19. The thickness is really negligible. I could not grip the g26 and hold onto it no matter what because of the short grip, it always squirmed out of my hand and just felt wrong and the harder I tried to hold it the more it slipped. I tried all the magazine pads and extenders, g19 mag sleeves, but the problem was always lacking a rear grip portion. I found a replacement +2 aluminum magazine base pad from HYVE technologies that completes the rear of grip. They also make them for other gen26’s and in +0 or +1 but keeping the same overall size as the +2 for use in other states. One caviot is that they do require permanent alteration of the magazine tube. You have to shave off the two little triangle wedges at the bottom of the tube that hold the factory base plates on, not a big deal and the new hyve base pads are Allen screwed on with a plug that fits into the empty cavity on the grip rear. Top notch product, surprised no one else did this over the years.

Posts: 268 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alex35
posted Hide Post
I like my Gen4. best grip. The only Gen3 I like is the RTF2. I don't own any Gen5's I don't see myself buying anymore Glocks.

Posts: 187 | Registered: February 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I just qualified on my new Gen 5 Glock 26 yesterday and I’m quite happy with it. It’s definitely more accurate than previous generations and I really like the way it shoots. My vote would be for generation 5.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post