SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone using a Paddle Holster?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using a Paddle Holster? Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Over the years, I have carried 3 O'Clock inside the waistband. Its what I feel comfortable with, and prefer.

However , a few years ago, I developed pinched nerves in my back, and lately wearing an IWB presses against my hip, triggering a dull pain.

Even wearing soft leather rigs like TT Gunleather rigs IWB causes that dull pain.

I tried some OWB rigs I had, but thy too for some reason continued with the press point, causing the pain. Kydex of course is the worse, and I tried the Hybrid holsters , its just the gun is still pressing at the place that causes the pain.

Then I remembered I had an old Fobus plastic paddle holster for my Makarov. I dug it out, and got out the Makarov, and been wearing it all day without any pain. Of course its not the best at concealment, but thats what I'm asking here.

Are there good paddle rigs, that tuck the gun close to your body. Are there good rigs that won't pull out when you draw?

I just ordered a Tagua paddle holster for my Walther PPS.

https://www.taguagunleather.co...-paddle-holster-pd2r

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I don't own a paddle holster although the convenience of on/off intrigues me. Bottom line, if that is what works for you then go for it. I'm sure the knowledgeable folks here will chime in with some suggestions. I'm glad you found something that permits you to carry again.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I've tried a few of them and the Fobus is the best I have found for me. The curve of the paddle is perfect and I like the rubber cushion. Tension is just right too. It's not the most expensive out there but the Fobus has held up and still works great.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only used them for students in training classes and myself when popping on one with a Sims converted Glock (my personal guns aren't Glocks).

They key seems to be how well the paddle interfaces with your pants and belt. Some can lock in like a vice, good for the draw, but be difficult to get off. Others come off pretty easy and may come with the gun. I don't see how the model you linked lock in, the paddles usually have some sort of tabs to grab the pants/belt.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Safariland 7TS holster body mounted to a paddle most of the time.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's all I will use.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hile:
I use a Safariland 7TS holster body mounted to a paddle most of the time.

This is what I use, comfy for me, but it does stick out a bit.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
When my Tagua holster comes in, I will post some pictures of it. I hope the body of the holster (leather), sticks pretty close to my body.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Raylan Givens seems to prefer one, with a thumb break no less. And it does not seem to hinder his draw. Smile

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered a Vedder ProDraw paddle for my camp and woods gun, a P320 compact .45 ACP. Looks like it's got some pretty good tabs for hooking under the belt. Figured if it was too much I could just grind it down some. Should be here in a couple days.
http://www.vedderholsters.com/prodraw/

P239
M11-A1
340 M&P

Posts: 552 | Location: Okla | Registered: August 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
My favorite paddle holster looks to have been discontinued. Safariland 518.

It's a high-ride, and extremely comfortable. I have it for a Glock 29 and P229.

Level 1 retention. Model 5181 is the same holster but with a thumb break.

Goes on/off easily.

I've got a Galco paddle holster that goes on easily, but is a PITA to get off without removing my belt. Probably due to the extra padding I carry around.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They can be a little iffy to use. If a stout belt is not worn, the whole rig can come out during a draw. And the design of the paddle may determine if its comfortable. I like the concept but have had no luck with finding one that works well for me. I will follow along to see if there is one that might work for me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Alfonso leather paddle holsters (Burbank,CA) and can tell you they are VERY comfortable to wear, built to last, stay where you put them and easy on,easy off. A ton of So. CAL LEO use them as well (or did back in the day). You wouldn't be disappointed unless your wedded to the feeling of a stiff Kydex digging into your hip. Paddle holsters require a stout belt. I wear a gun belt everyday from the Beltman which looks normal but support almost anything your walking around strapped with all day.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may want to check the fusion paddle at www.wildbillsconcealment.com. for me it's better than the Tagua I have. The bad side for you is the paddle on mine is kydex or plastic. They may have one with a leather paddle.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strider41:
You may want to check the fusion paddle at www.wildbillsconcealment.com. for me it's better than the Tagua I have. The bad side for you is the paddle on mine is kydex or plastic. They may have one with a leather paddle.

Thank you for the advice cocerning the Tagua holster, If its not suitable, I could return it.

美しい犬

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
for OWB, I love paddle holsters. but mostly, I carry IWB.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a 239/357Sig in a Gould & Goodrich hybrid paddle holster. Paddle is lined kydex with a tab to catch your clothes/belt, with a thumb break, leather holster.

It's made for a rail-less 229, but it fits/works great with a 229 or 239. The 239 hugs the body better, since the grip doesn't stick out as far.

The pistol hugs the body good and its NOT slipping up and out unless you are taking it off. In fact, you'll find you have to slightly rotate the pistol/holster forward a bit and then slip it up/out sliding it at a slight angle.

With practice, it will be an easy on/off solution.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the SIG factory ones for range and sometimes 3-gun, but even with a good belt they tend to push out a bit, a problem I don't have with my full kydex OWB.

I picked up a Fobus for my first pistol class a long time ago. What a POS. Too tight, couldn't adjust, even after filing the inside it was so tight, it'd come off my belt on the draw. The only good thing is I realized I was able to react quickly to things not going right and stripped the holster off the pistol and got on target without missing a beat. Just sucked having to pick the holster off the floor and reorient it every set. Never again will I touch a Fobus product.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Comp-Tac makes a good OWB Paddle holster. I have one for my G26, 229DAK, 239 and 320RX. The forward body index model keeps the pistol tucked in and it conceals it well enough, but there is still room to get a good firing grip when drawing.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Raylan Givens seems to prefer one, with a thumb break no less. And it does not seem to hinder his draw. Smile

Damn! I miss that show ...

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post