SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone using a Paddle Holster?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using a Paddle Holster? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Comp-Tac's OWB paddle holster. I lost count after my 5th one. Just wish they would make more for CZs.

Posts: 102 | Location: Mentor, OH | Registered: March 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
I've tried a few of them and the Fobus is the best I have found for me. The curve of the paddle is perfect and I like the rubber cushion. Tension is just right too. It's not the most expensive out there but the Fobus has held up and still works great.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

That's a Fobus.

They're very comfortable out of sight and concealed, but retention is as simple as twisting the holster right off the paddle with minimal effort. Their ankle holsters are comfortable with light weapons.

The Galco M5X Matrix is comfortable. It's a different plastic/synthetic than kydex, and thicker. Comfortable.

The Safariland 568 is a good open top paddle, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The Milt Sparks Improved Baker (I-BAK) might solve your problem. Holds the pistol high and tight to the body securely. For me it conceals as well as a VM 2, except the VM 2, being IWB, conceals with a shorter cover garment. The I-BAK is comfortable as all get-out, and, since it's a belt-slide design, you can move it a bit fore or aft to suit your comfort/needs/whatever.

My I-BAK is one of my two favourite holsters. If I get a P229, it will be wearing a Milt Sparks I-BAK.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I have a Safariland 6378 ALS paddle that I sometimes use for my 229. It sticks out considerably more than my Nightingale Griffon V. I will say that the hook on the paddle that grabs the belt is super tight. That holster is a pain to take off, but that means it's not coming out on the draw.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Another 7TS fan here. I am as fast with the 7TS that I am with a plain open top.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
I've tried a few of them and the Fobus is the best I have found for me. The curve of the paddle is perfect and I like the rubber cushion. Tension is just right too. It's not the most expensive out there but the Fobus has held up and still works great.

That's a Fobus.

They're very comfortable out of sight and concealed, but retention is as simple as twisting the holster right off the paddle with minimal effort. Their ankle holsters are comfortable with light weapons.

The Galco M5X Matrix is comfortable. It's a different plastic/synthetic than kydex, and thicker. Comfortable.

I am glad you posted that video. It does point out a very serious draw back for any paddle holster, per se., but any holster, whether IWB, OWB without retention , the weapon can be snatched.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have never found a paddle holster that conceals as well as a more traditional pancake-style belt holster. In fact, I've tried a variety of paddle holsters, but have yet to find one that I can conceal under anything less than a jacket, coat, or overly large button-down shirt. They necessarily stick out further, due to the paddle design. Whereas I have a number of other OWBs that can be easily concealed under just a regularly-sized untucked t-shirt or polo shirt.

However, you may decide that the easy on/off and potential greater comfort (as in the OP's situation) may outweigh the fact that a paddle holster is tougher to conceal. You'll just have to dress around the holster more when wearing a paddle holster.

I find that the various "snap belt loop" pancake holsters, such as the Alessi CQC-S or UBG Regulator, are just as easy to put on and take off as a paddle holster, but are much easier to conceal than a paddle holster. You might look into those if you're looking for a paddle holster just because of the easy on/off. Most leather holster makers will offer some variation of this style.

Regarding secure attachment to the belt, some of the cheaper paddle holsters I've tried have had a very loose hold on the belt, where they were in danger of coming out with the draw stroke or could be snatched out of your waistband. But that shouldn't be as much of a concern with higher quality paddle holsters worn with a quality gun belt. And there are even paddle holster designs like the Kramer MSP that provide the extra security of a snap loop around the belt too, to address that concern.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
For our bigger, heavier pistols, we prefer our Kramer MSP Paddle Holsters. With the belt loop attachment, they are both comfortable and secure.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

That's a Fobus.

I am glad you posted that video. It does point out a very serious draw back for any paddle holster, per se., but any holster, whether IWB, OWB without retention , the weapon can be snatched.

In the case of the Fobus, it's a bit more than simply a snatch. Retention holsters generally rely on one or more means to keep the weapon in the holster, and even retention techniques involve pressing the weapon into the holster. The holster, however, becomes critical in preventing losing the weapon. In the case of the Fobus, the entire holster breaks away with the sidearm, leaving only the paddle behind.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
I have a Safariland 6378 ALS paddle that I sometimes use for my 229. It sticks out considerably more than my Nightingale Griffon V. I will say that the hook on the paddle that grabs the belt is super tight. That holster is a pain to take off, but that means it's not coming out on the draw.

I have a couple Safariland 6378s for a 226, 229 & Glock 17. Those things are built like tanks. They're not very concealable, but they sure are secure & they spread the weight of heavier guns, like a 226 over a bigger area. I remove the hook & slip the paddle inside my pants.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great input you folks have given me, so many of the brands, models , I look at are not made for my PPS.

MTR Leather made me a light bearing IWB last year, that is a relatively large area that contacts my hip, even it hurts to be worn at times.

I may try the TAGUA I ordered, and a Safariland paddle that caught my eye.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Safariland ALS paddle, never had it come out while drawing, easily comes out of the pants when I want it too. and can be found for under $40.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Raylan Givens seems to prefer one, with a thumb break no less. And it does not seem to hinder his draw. Smile

Old school! For many years a thumb break was required by many agencies. I carried many guns in a paddle holster for plain clothes duty over the years but since I retired I prefer something that hugs a little closer. When worn properly they are very secure and handy for the draw.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Fobus paddle holsters for my M11-A1, P239, and P250C (the one that came with the gun).
Great when you need a quick "on-and-off" carry method.
Usually used under a light jacket, an untucked button-down, or a t-shirt.
But sometimes just for open carry, on days when you don't give a sh*t who sees it.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Tagua paddle holster 4 days before I ordered a Safariland paddle holster from Safariland website.

The Safariland holster has already shipped, the Tagua hasn't.

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
I've got a Comp-tac for my 239 which is with me most of the time. Pretty comfortable. For the odd times that I carry my GP 100 I use a Kramer MSP. VERY comfortable.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I picked up this paddle holster several years back and wore it a few times at a hunting ranch. I holds the gun very close to the body no matter what index position you favor.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I've got a few paddle holsters, but I generally only wear them in cooler weather, when I can wear a looser outer garment (jacket, fleece vest, etc.). In my experience, they do not hold the gun as tightly against the body as pancake or belt slide OWB holsters.

Probably the best paddle holster I've owned was the Ross paddle rig for the Sig P239. It was extremely well made and did hold the gun close.

I have collected a handful of Fobus paddles for various guns over the years. They are some of the most comfortable holsters I own.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
another vote for the Kramer MSP paddle. MSP stand for Michigan State Police. They have an excellent reputation for extensive testing of anything they issue, and that Kramer paddle is what their plainclothes people use.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My paddle holsters are exclusively "gun buckets" that I use for range time only to avoid having to thread on and off several different holsters. My personal experience from wearing paddles (issued holster) and seeing other LEOs "concealing" them is that none of them conceal worth a poop.

On a related note, my buddy developed issues with sciatica (spelling?), and like you, couldn't carry on the strong side without pain. For about three months he switched to a shoulder holster while aggressively treating the issue (chiropractic and physical therapy). He's back to strong side IWB now with no issues.

Posts: 105 | Registered: February 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post