SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I want to add a pistol/family heirloom to the collection.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to add a pistol/family heirloom to the collection. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Why is everyone advising the OP of different brands/guns, even different calibers, when he specifically mentioned he wants a 9mm 1911 with a 4" or longer barrel? I'm confused.

quote:
Originally posted by beancooker:
Any and all advice is appreciated.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Why is everyone advising the OP of different brands/guns, even different calibers, when he specifically mentioned he wants a 9mm 1911 with a 4" or longer barrel? I'm confused.

quote:

I know I want a 1911 in a 9mm. Not looking for a full size, but also don’t want a compact. Something in between. I think I’m pretty set on a 4” barrel. Maybe up to a 4.5”, but no shorter than 4”.
Wilson Combat has been at the top of my list for quite some time.
Nighthawk Custom - I don’t know much about, and have heard great things, but it seems that a WC is just as good if not better.
STI 2011 - I like their guns, but they seem to be more of a competition pistol than what I am looking for.

So I look to everyone here, with more experience, and hands on these pistols, as I have only seen them online with the exception of unloading a WC that was left in a coworkers car by her husband years ago.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My only suggestion in general is buy something you are going to use and enjoy. What makes an heirloom IMO is not simply some expensive item that is in a safe, never to see the light of day or only on protected display. Buy it, use it, share it with your step-son / friends so they have memories of it before it gets passed on.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
My only suggestion in general is buy something you are going to use and enjoy. What makes an heirloom IMO is not simply some expensive item that is in a safe, never to see the light of day or only on protected display. Buy it, use it, share it with your step-son / friends so they have memories of it before it gets passed on.

On top of this advice. If you've always wanted a Wilson Combat, get a Wilson Combat, because no matter what else you get, you will still be thinking about the Wilson Combat.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

quote:

I know I want a 1911 in a 9mm. Not looking for a full size, but also don’t want a compact. Something in between. I think I’m pretty set on a 4” barrel. Maybe up to a 4.5”, but no shorter than 4”.
Wilson Combat has been at the top of my list for quite some time.
Nighthawk Custom - I don’t know much about, and have heard great things, but it seems that a WC is just as good if not better.
STI 2011 - I like their guns, but they seem to be more of a competition pistol than what I am looking for.

So I look to everyone here, with more experience, and hands on these pistols, as I have only seen them online with the exception of unloading a WC that was left in a coworkers car by her husband years ago.

Oh look, there's suddenly a parrot.
Yet you missed the "any and all advice is appreciated".

Have fun, I'm not going to dispute your shit in this thread any further.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
To put aside the name calling....

For what the original question was... I'd suggest a Full Size Gun....

I'd actually consider a traditional 1911 (full size in 45acp) or at least a P226.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a 9mm, I would buy a Springfield Pro.

Posts: 458 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are 9mm 1911-style guns that have been redesigned to accommodate a 9mm round. To me, that is not a standard 1911. A standard JMB 1911 requires compromises to shoot 9mm, and does not always feed correctly. The 38 super I suggested is a 9mm round, with a longer case, and fits a standard 1911 action without the compromises a 9x19 round requires.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^

Agreed. .38 Super is a versatile round.

Great shooting and available in a host of loads.

It is one of my favorites, be it in a 1911, a P220, or a Glock.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
You can always build a %80 1911. Trick it out yourself. I did one for the fun of the project. She's a great shooter. But will get passed down.

There's no serial number so no way I can sell it. Or you could do a high end AR SBR build. Have it in the trust so it goes to your kid. Everyone loves a really nice AR.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

There are 9mm 1911-style guns that have been redesigned to accommodate a 9mm round. To me, that is not a standard 1911. A standard JMB 1911 requires compromises to shoot 9mm, and does not always feed correctly. The 38 super I suggested is a 9mm round, with a longer case, and fits a standard 1911 action without the compromises a 9x19 round requires.

I get all of that, but my 9mm 1911's are reliable. Even my original series 70 mark IV Colt. Ammo cost and availability makes .38 super a bit spendy and a pain to acquire unless you're a reloader. 9mm is cheap, easy to find, and fun to shoot in a 1911. The Wilson Combat I mentioned the EDC is one of those that has been re-designed and is a double stack magazine gun that holds 15 or 17 rounds depending on whether or not it has a magazine well.

Ed Brown EVO KC9 is a 4" barrel and MSRP of $1995 and might be worth looking at. They also have a light weight version.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Reason why I advise those looking for their first, perhaps only "1911" to think hard about choosing one in .45acp, the caliber the iconic gun was designed for by John Browning.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I agree with you oddball... this is a gun that is supposed to be handed down in the future... so it needs to be a classic and not something that is popular at the moment... like all these plastic carry guns....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I wonder if our relatives spent this much time pondering 'heirlooms'.

Choose a gun you want, buy it, shoot it. I know "heirloom" allows you to spend more money than you typically could, but throw off that yolk and just buy what you want BECAUSE YOU WANT IT. Maybe your kids will value it, maybe they won't and will just sell it off when you are gone. You'll be gone, so it won't matter.

My 'heirloom' rifle is from my alcoholic Uncle who taught me to shoot. A cheap Winchester Model 77 semi-auto. Seen plenty of wear and use, but we love shooting it and it's history. Likely not worth much more that $150. About the only people in the world I would give it to (besides my children) were if one of his two sons asked for it - they each got a rifle of his (one a Winchester 30-30 and the other a M1903 Springfield 30.06); but I know they haven't shot those rifles since his death 30 years ago, so I would only do a straight trade if they really wanted to. Even so, I would never ask to make that trade, as I'd prefer to keep the rifle I have - but I would honor their request as his son if they made it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy 617:
I have owned a lot of 1911's, and frankly, they just aren't my thing. An heirloom should be something with some meaning behind it, not just an expensive gift.

Concur, I owned a high end Wilson (traded for a P210), a Les Baer and some other overpriced 1911 and as I'd used them when in the Army, I was surprised how little I liked them. Get a P220 X6. You'll love how it shoots and the lad will love the heirloom thing. I still need to sell off the Baer. My kid has a franken gun my father brought back from Germany from WW2, it's a POS as a shooter but we all prize it.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of largebore1
posted Hide Post
I bought an Ed Brown EVO KC9 G-4 in May. Its a beautiful gun extremely well made and extremely accurate. I've got about 1500 rounds thru it so far it's a blast to shoot. It's in your size and caliber requirement and think it would make anyone in your family happy. I know adding it to my collection has made me happy.

THERE'S NO EXHILARATION LIKE ACCELERATION

Posts: 41 | Location: South | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I am going to say Ed Brown Evo series
9 mm
4.25"
Custom 1911 at a price point of $1900

https://www.edbrown.com/evo/

https://www.edbrown.com/retro-eb1911/
custom engraving on the slide

Posts: 2301 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post