SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I want to add a pistol/family heirloom to the collection.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to add a pistol/family heirloom to the collection. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If 4K is your budget:
Colt SAA or pre 1940 Colt Commercial 1911.
Both are iconic American handguns and will in all likelihood increase in value.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a Colt Python, or a milsurp Sig P210. Both can be shot and enjoyed, and both will increase in value over time.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m sure some of the recoil issues would be solved if I took a shooting course, or a better one than I have been through.
^^^^^^^^^^
I would do this first before buying a pistol. Good courses are worth the money and really improve your shooting. Try to get small group instruction. You can always get a family heirloom.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO a pistol to pass down is something that isn't currently in production. I think the current market for modern 1911's is pretty weak right now. You can pick up a nice semi-custom or custom for a relatively decent price. For me, if I was planning on shooting this firearm I would look for a nice (pre-lock) S&W model 27 3.5" or registered magnum, other choice would be a older Sig P210. I have both of these firearms, shoot them all the time, very accurate and they have historical significance. If you need to go the 9mm 1911 route, all the above mentioned are great producers. My personal preference is Les Baer, not the sexiest but for whatever reason they shoot the best for me. good luck hunting

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like your idea and quest. Something you like and can truly relish for years, that develops history for your stepson.
If 1911 or similar, I would think about the custom Dan Wesson option mentioned, or find a deal on a Wilson, Bown, or Baer..
Essentially a 1911, a Wilson EDC X9 is a work of art and something you would enjoy, and is certainly pass downable. (And likely will achieve some classic quality.)
Further afield would be a customized HiPower, or pristine / new old stock HK P7 or Sig 210.
I almost did a Novak customized HiPower for my son, which had the option of "1 of X" numbering to correspond to his birthday.
Enjoy your quest, and let us know what you do.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have many 1911's and have had several that I have sold. I am not a commander fan at all. I've had a few and sold them all, a government isn't that much longer than the commander and balances and recoils better/nicer. I have 2 9mm governments that I love, both are Colts. A newish Colt competition S/S, and an original series 70 Mark IV govt 9mm. I love the way a government 9mm shoots. Both shoot very nice but aren't a top tier 1911. I also own a Wilson Combat and an Ed Brown in .45 governments as well as a S+W.

For what you want to spend, go straight for an Ed Brown. My Wilson might be a hair more accurate and the trigger might be a hair better, I mean miniscule, but I hardly shoot it, I always grab my Ed Brown, it just feels better shooting it and the way it recoils etc. The Ed Brown (Kobra) in stainless is also a lot nicer looking than the WC. I would go for an Ed Brown either Special Forces or Kobra in 9mm.

If I was going outside of a 1911 in 9mm, I'd say a SiG P210, I think the Americans will increase in value over the years just like their Swiss brothers have.

There is a Wilson in the classifieds here in 9mm an EDC, for a good price, and it has a 4" barrel and is a double stack magazine either 15 or 18 rounds. If it was government length I'd have jumped on it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

There is a Wilson in the classifieds here in 9mm an EDC, for a good price, and it has a 4" barrel and is a double stack magazine either 15 or 18 rounds. If it was government length I'd have jumped on it.

A link would be great. I have searched the classified with “Wilson” and haven’t turned up but three threads.
FWIW, I’ve searched a lot if other topics, and came up empty handed.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
I like your idea and quest. Something you like and can truly relish for years, that develops history for your stepson.
If 1911 or similar, I would think about the custom Dan Wesson option mentioned, or find a deal on a Wilson, Bown, or Baer..
Essentially a 1911, a Wilson EDC X9 is a work of art and something you would enjoy, and is certainly pass downable. (And likely will achieve some classic quality.)
Further afield would be a customized HiPower, or pristine / new old stock HK P7 or Sig 210.
I almost did a Novak customized HiPower for my son, which had the option of "1 of X" numbering to correspond to his birthday.
Enjoy your quest, and let us know what you do.

Thank you. You seem to understand what I’m saying. I appreciate your reply.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:

A link would be great. I have searched the classified with “Wilson” and haven’t turned up but three threads.

Here you go. I like the looks of the edc X9

sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/6770083364

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Thank you Jimmy!!!

quote:
The “lol” thread

posted Hide Post
Maybe a nice full stainless 22lr revolver?
Then as the family ages, the new care taker can train their children as they climb the family ladder.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
It should not be something that anonymous Internet voices suggest, it should be something that has a meaning for you . . . A meaning that you can pass on to your Heir. Make sure they know the family stories surrounding each piece

What makes the piece special is not necessarily something that you can buy and pay for, but something that you learned from it, taught with it, or a pivotal event in your history that it participated in

It does not have to be expensive, but nothing is stopping it either Smile

I have added to what was handed to me, and I expect to continue doing so as time progresses

I have the Femur Model 37 that my Great Grandfather brought home from the war

I have the Ted Williams 22 rifle that my Grandfather bought for my Dad about 70 years ago.

I have the Victory Model turned snubby that our Uncle used to protect his store for several decades

I also have the snubby Model 19 that my Stepfather bought for protection in the 70s

These will be handed down to my Son with several additions.

I had the Walther PPk that I used to carry as a backup gun engraved a few years ago when I got a bonus check. I just thought it would look cool Smile

I have the HK PSP that fell from 8000 feet during an airplane accident. Yes it still works just fine

And there are other things as well

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get something that you will use, that $3999.95 Boutique Arms Special that is too pretty to shoot does not meet your specifications.

Dan Wesson has a great reputation. The forthcoming Not Quite 1911 category DWX Compact looks very interesting. But they make good 1911 types, too.
https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/dwx-compact/

Alchemy is fast getting a lot of fans and the price is right, as such things go.
https://alchemy1911.com/classic-carry/

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:

Here you go. I like the looks of the edc X9

sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/6770083364

Absolutely, without a doubt, this would be my choice, if I were looking for a gun with a 4" barrel...and if I lived outside of MA where I could actually legally buy this gun! When I do leave this f'n state (which will hopefully be within the next year or so), the first thing I'll buy will be the 5" version of this gun (the EDC X9L)...if I can find one.

Frank

Posts: 42 | Location: MA | Registered: July 04, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Some many choices, I'd look at pre-model S&W or as others mentioned an early colt saa for revolvers. For a pistol I"d consider an early colt commander 38 super, P08 Luger, a nickel W/G Sig or HK P7. Either way let us know what you decide.

Posts: 1558 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned a fair number of custom pistols.

Personally, it would be either my 625 that Apex Tactical did - if Randy is back to doing revolvers, or my 1911 from Triangle Shooting (Benny Hill)

My SVI is lovely, but I like my gun from Triangle better.

I sold my Wilson Combat and never missed it.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
The Dan Wesson Valor is a heckuva nice gun, not cheap or entry level, it was their top of the line, but not as expensive as a Wilson or Brown. The Valor is discontinued but you can still find lightly used or safe-queens and occasionally new old stock (NOS). I recently bought an armory-cote black full-size and it's everything I expected it to be. I liked it so much that I went out and found a Valor Commander in stainless to go with it and serve some EDC duty.

I am not a fan of 1911s in 9mm, preferring .45acp or maybe .38super; however, if you want a 9mm 1911, I cannot think of a better size/platform than the Commander 4.25" AND DW Valor Commanders in 9mm can still be found in new condition on that gun auction site along with some other places. That's what I'd buy....

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, here’s my experience.
Please take it for what it is... You’ll have to come to your own decision, of course.

My dad is still here, as is my mom. They’ve been married since 1957 and both are well into their 80s. So, I’m still making shooting memories with him.

Dad has given me a couple of handguns and an M1903 Springfield (5/18 manufacture) that I’ll never sell. (That’s May of 1918, obviously!)

I have Colt .22 magnum New Frontier that is the first gun my son shot. It will be his one day, probably soon since I’d like to give it to him while I’m still young (in my 50s).

I own some higher-end firearms but, as many have already said, it’s about the memories -not the money.

Good luck in your quest!
-Bill

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If you are looking at 9mm 1911s for this, consider that a standard 1911 has to have some modifications to shoot 9mm, as its action was not made for the shorter cartridge. The magazines have a spacer to move the round forward, and the ejector has to be longer (in fact it sticks out over the mag well). There may be other mods internally, but I'm not a gunsmith so I won't go there. Anyway, to satisfy the desire for a 9mm 1911, why not consider a 38 super? The round is very close to the OAL of the .45 so it is made for the action without the extra mods needed for 9x19. It is also the caliber of choice for the Swaggers (Bob Lee and his father Earl). Smile It was adopted early on by law enforcement because it could penetrate car windows.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is everyone advising the OP of different brands/guns, even different calibers, when he specifically mentioned he wants a 9mm 1911 with a 4" or longer barrel? I'm confused.