SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I want to add a pistol/family heirloom to the collection.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to add a pistol/family heirloom to the collection. Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So I have a few pistols, but nothing really special. A P228 and a Kimber micro 9. Both great handguns. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about my pistols. I love them and truly enjoy shooting them.

What I want to do is to buy a handgun that I can enjoy for years, and then pass down to my stepson when I get old. The problem is, I don’t know what I am looking for. I have some ideas and I have narrowed it down to a large handful, but I am not really certain what makes these handguns so revered. I don’t mind spending a good bit of coin to get a truly remarkable handgun. I’m sure that there are some great $800 options to be had, but I’m not looking for a budget 1911.

I know I want a 1911 in a 9mm. Not looking for a full size, but also don’t want a compact. Something in between. I think I’m pretty set on a 4” barrel. Maybe up to a 4.5”, but no shorter than 4”.
Wilson Combat has been at the top of my list for quite some time.
Nighthawk Custom - I don’t know much about, and have heard great things, but it seems that a WC is just as good if not better.
STI 2011 - I like their guns, but they seem to be more of a competition pistol than what I am looking for.

So I look to everyone here, with more experience, and hands on these pistols, as I have only seen them online with the exception of unloading a WC that was left in a coworkers car by her husband years ago.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Should be noted I can’t afford a truly custom gun. The Wilson Combat is at the top of the price range.

What would you guys recommended and more importantly, why?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I would think that your favorite pistol, the one that you shoot the best, and carry daily would have more meaning to him rather than a different gun, would be best to pass on down.

He will buy whatever he wants with his inheritance
anyways.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
When I do it, it will be a color case hardened Volkmann Precision.

https://www.volkmannprecision.com/

Now, to your further point, I have never handled a Volkmann, but I do have a Colt target revolver from 1930 that is simply spectacular. There is something about the fit and finish of a really finely made gun that comes off as exceptional and special.

It's a matter of attention to detail, really. I have always wanted an Ed Brown Executive Elite commander sized gun. But having handled a couple of them, I would never pay new pricing for one. They are nice, yes. But to me, they are not "special" enough to justify the cost. They are exceptionally fine production guns with some hand fitting, not customs.

A Bruce Gray, Volkmann, or other handmade pistol, built to your specifications, would be a true legacy gun.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson Vigil CCO might fit the bill. Lot of features for the $.
If you have money and time, get on a custom pistol smith's waiting list and get exactly what you want.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I would think that your favorite pistol, the one that you shoot the best, and carry daily would have more meaning to him rather than a different gun, would be best to pass on down.

anyways.

I agree completely. If you aren't a regular shooter of a 1911...Why invest heavily in one as a sentimental gift? I have owned a lot of 1911's, and frankly, they just aren't my thing. An heirloom should be something with some meaning behind it, not just an expensive gift. I inherited my dads old Winchester when he passed away, and I wouldn't sell it for anything, even though I am not into lever action rifles. It actually happens to be worth a good bit of money, but that doesn't concern me. I love it because it was a rifle that my dad bought when he was a young man, and he used it for everything a rifle could be used for... Hunting, target shooting, teaching me to shoot, and home defense. That rifle means more to me than every other gun I own combined.

Now, had he simply went out and bought some high dollar rifle and given it to me, I would probably view that in terms of dollar value.

Put a ton of rounds through you P228. Teach the young man to shoot it. Carry it frequently, keep it clean, and let it be known that it is YOUR gun. Years from now, when you pass it along to him... He will treasure it. A fancy 1911 won't have the same impact.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
You want a Commander 1911--4.25" barrel
Full grip-therefore Commander.
Abbreviated grip--Officers.
Custom 1911's would be Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer.
If you are looking to make a "special" 1911--engraving or inscriptions should be considered.
Dan Wesson's would fall into a "production" 1911--which you could engrave or inscribe.
Price--Dan Wesson $1200-1500
Custom 1911 from Ed Brown, Wilson, etc--double the Dan Wesson to start, keep going--$$$
Custom means built for you and your specifications.
My attempt to explain the 1911 world.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Define "good bit of coin." My SIG P210A Target was, to me, "a good bit of coin" at $1500. (That would not be a bad choice, IMO, save you specified it's to be a 1911.) In 1911's I guess you'd be looking at WC, Nighthawk, Les Baer or Ed Brown? Those are all way over my budget. My budget is more with Dan Wesson being at the higher end.

Then there are always the custom 1911 guys that will take the 1911 of your choice and make it perfect--incl. machining replacement parts from scratch for the original bits they can't correct. Was reading one such smith's comments in one-or-another of the 1911 forums. Ploughed something like $1500-$2000 of work, had he been charging for it, into a Ruger SR1911, I think it was--just to see what it would take. Listed something on the order of two dozen things he did.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy 617:
quote:

anyways.

I agree completely. If you aren't a regular shooter of a 1911...Why invest heavily in one as a sentimental gift? I have owned a lot of 1911's, and frankly, they just aren't my thing. An heirloom should be something with some meaning behind it, not just an expensive gift. I inherited my dads old Winchester when he passed away, and I wouldn't sell it for anything, even though I am not into lever action rifles. It actually happens to be worth a good bit of money, but that doesn't concern me. I love it because it was a rifle that my dad bought when he was a young man, and he used it for everything a rifle could be used for... Hunting, target shooting, teaching me to shoot, and home defense. That rifle means more to me than every other gun I own combined.

Now, had he simply went out and bought some high dollar rifle and given it to me, I would probably view that in terms of dollar value.

Put a ton of rounds through you P228. Teach the young man to shoot it. Carry it frequently, keep it clean, and let it be known that it is YOUR gun. Years from now, when you pass it along to him... He will treasure it. A fancy 1911 won't have the same impact.

Buying the 1911 because I have always liked them, but didn’t care for the .45. The Micro 9 is a hacked version of the 1911. Buying the pistol for me to shoot for the next 30 years, then pass down.
Stepson is a grown man. I wish he was young and I could teach him to shoot, but that ship has sailed.

I understand the sentimental value behind the rifle passed down to you from your father. Whatever I pass down, be it the SIG or anything else, won’t carry that same sentiment.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Define "good bit of coin."

I don’t care to spend a dollar over $4000. It’s the line in the sand for me.
It’ll also take me a fair bit of time to save that up.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
I would suggest something that will likely increase in monetary value as the years pass. I did something similar for my daughter, my only child, and with any luck, a grandchild someday. I secured a lovely 3rd generation Colt SAA in .45LC and a minty, but used, HK P7M8. I enjoy both from time to time but the value is surely not lost from the use they get. It just so happens that the serial # on both firearms end in her lucky, two-digit number. The Colt was also made the year I was born. Both special guns for sure.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Buying the 1911 because I have always liked them, but didn’t care for the .45. The Micro 9 is a hacked version of the 1911. Buying the pistol for me to shoot for the next 30 years, then pass down.

I'm curious: What did you shoot in .45 ACP that turned you off to it? For me it was a U.S. Army 1911 back in the early 70's. Then I got exposure to the .45 ACP in more modern pistols, later in life, and decided maybe I didn't dislike the .45 ACP so much, after all.

This led me to acquiring a Remington R1 1911 Enhanced in .45 ACP earlier this year because, you know, every red-blooded American male should own a 1911 in .45 ACP Smile. Thing is a pure joy to shoot and I can shoot tighter groups with it faster than anything else I own. That led to me feeling I really wanted a small .45 ACP 1911 for carry, which led to my acquiring a Colt Defender, which I can shoot nearly as well as I can my full size 1911.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you want a pistol as a collectible, get one that is already a collectible. Nothing new production. Maybe a WWII era 1911, and 1800s Colt SAA, that type of thing. You'll pay more up front, but it will never go down in value, and you'll have something truly historic to pass down.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My first thought when I saw the thread title was a pinned and recessed S&W revolver from the 60s-70s. My second thought- "custom 1911".

As far as 1911s, I have a Wilson Combat CQB and it is my favorite pistol to shoot, hands down. But to me, the ideal 1911 should be .45ACP, 5" barrel. One can go to town on the custom preferences for the Wilson, and also go to town on spending.
I also have a Les Baer Premier II and it shoots just as well as the Wilson, but the latter has an elegance, the fit and finish is sooo much nicer.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16698 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W Model 41 5.5 inch barrel 22 rimfire

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:

anyways.

I agree. My dad's Browning Hi Power (his personal favorite handgun) means more to me for his connection to it, than any other piece possibly could.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'm curious: What did you shoot in .45 ACP that turned you off to it? For me it was a U.S. Army 1911 back in the early 70's. Then I got exposure to the .45 ACP in more modern pistols, later in life, and decided maybe I didn't dislike the .45 ACP so much, after all.

This led me to acquiring a Remington R1 1911 Enhanced in .45 ACP earlier this year because, you know, every red-blooded American male should own a 1911 in .45 ACP Smile. Thing is a pure joy to shoot and I can shoot tighter groups with it faster than anything else I own. That led to me feeling I really wanted a small .45 ACP 1911 for carry, which led to my acquiring a Colt Defender, which I can shoot nearly as well as I can my full size 1911.

It’s the recoil. I’m not the best shooter out there. I’m actually pretty piss poor when it comes to handguns. I’m dead nuts within eight to ten yards. After that my accuracy diminishes exponentially.
I had a Kimber full size equinox which I didn’t know at the time, needed the trigger fixed. Aside of it having a trigger that was like dragging a sack of concrete across the street by a piece of dental floss, it had a wicked recoil. It wasn’t so much the pushback, but the twist was gruesome.
Aside of the fact I am not a very good shooter, I also have pretty messed up wrists. Between 30 years of BMX bicycle riding and many years of mixed martial arts, I have pretty weak wrists. I’m sure some of the recoil issues would be solved if I took a shooting course, or a better one than I have been through.

So through all my rambling, I prefer the 9mm as the recoil hurts less, and I can get my sights back on target quicker.

quote:
oddball:
As far as 1911s, I have a Wilson Combat CQB and it is my favorite pistol to shoot, hands down.

Why is that your favorite? What makes it so enjoyable?

quote:
The “lol” thread

posted Hide Post
Have dozens of 1911s, Colts, SA, DWs in 45, 10mm and 9mm.

If only buying one, I vote for a DW in 45 or 9mm

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Why is that your favorite? What makes it so enjoyable?

The 1911 grip angle is ideal for me personally. Now my HD pistols are Glocks and I'm fine with their grip angle, but the 1911 suits me best. IMO, the trigger system on a finely tuned, custom 1911 is to behold. And the build quality of my CQB is just really nice, like having a luxury car in your hands. And shooting .45acp in this pistol is a joy to shoot, and most importantly, I shoot the smallest groups with this pistol, no contest.

For HD real life stuff, my tools are Glocks, but, my CQB is the handgun I simply love to shoot at the range.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16698 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
quote:

anyways.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^
I have three guns that are the most important of my firearm collection. One is my grandpas deer rifle, Rem 740. My dads deer rifle, Sav 99. And my uncle's Win 1890 in 22WRF. All three of these guys have been gone for twenty four plus years. Monetary value is ok. I have guns worth way more than these three put together. If someone offered me a million dollars for these, I would like to be able to say, " no thanks".

A custom something can be bought at any time!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post