SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 re-assembly problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 re-assembly problem Login/Join 
posted
Hi, I just got a new P320 carry , I was able to take it apart fine but have a difficult time putting it back together.
The slide will only go half way in and it seems something is preventing it from going all the way in. I followed the instruction manual and the take down lever is where it should be.
Any suggestions?
Thank you

Posts: 5 | Location: philippines | Registered: August 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the guide rod orientation. The breech end may have flats on two sides. These flats need to be up and down, that is, at at 90 degree angle to the bore.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is something else to check as well. I can’t quite remember what it is though. Lol. Something to do with the magazine takedown safety. Somebody help me out here.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you pushed the slide release levers up prior to reassembling, it resets the mag safety. To reactivity the mag safety, turn the takedown lever horizontal (normal position) then back to the takedown position.

I seem to recall early P320 guide rods having specific orientation requirements but you said it's new. If it's just new to you, or old stock, check your manual on that.

It's also possible you just need to apply a little downward pressure on the slide to get it to line up on the rails right.

ETA: just saw you're in the Philippines. I dunno how often you get current models, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's old stock.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Check the guide rod orientation. The breech end may have flats on two sides. These flats need to be up and down, that is, at at 90 degree angle to the bore.

I could be wrong, but I thought the guide-rod orientation issue was only with Subcompacts.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put all the pieces in a non-transparent bag, preferably with soft material. A crown royal bag works well. Close the bag, loop once with cord, and shake.

The pistol will assemble itself. Verify correct assembly.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jrj:
Hi, I just got a new P320 carry , I was able to take it apart fine but have a difficult time putting it back together.
The slide will only go half way in and it seems something is preventing it from going all the way in. I followed the instruction manual and the take down lever is where it should be.
Any suggestions?
Thank you

How'd you make out? I assume you didn't have to resort to the "magic bag" Roll Eyes

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
If you are still having trouble, try a YouTube video. Sometimes that helps.

Posts: 1349 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Is the sear sticking up? Any pressure on the trigger can do this.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI, thanks for all the inputs . The manual says there is a guide rod orientation- the flat sides should all be vertical but the flat sides on the guide rod ends are in the front of the guide rod (the side that is just under the muzzel). The back of the guide rod is round- this is the part that mates with the end of the barrel. I aligned the front with the flat sides up but still have a problem.
We have an official sig dealer here in the Philippine so I assume the stocks they have are current .

Posts: 5 | Location: philippines | Registered: August 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just tried all kinda of different ways to make the slide hang up, and couldn't do it. The only thing that might be possible is you don't have the takedown lever pushed through all the way.

Or you're just hitting the resistance of the safety lever and disconnector and aren't pushing through it. But you said only halfway on, which is basically where it starts. You didn't have multiple pistols apart and mixed up barrels?

Maybe if you could snap a few pictures and post?

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Did you pull the trigger housing out? It's easy enough not to seat it properly in the grip frame if you've never done it before.

Or, if you pulled out the takedown lever, you need to rotate/wiggle it as you push to get it to fully seat.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
Push up on the slide release, this releases the take down lever so you can rotate the lever downward again. If you have pulled the trigger with the slide off, then there this little "finger" that got push up on the back of the frame, you have to push it back down or else the slide would not make it pass the last 1/4 of travel.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jrj:
....The manual says there is a guide rod orientation- the flat sides should all be vertical but the flat sides on the guide rod ends are in the front of the guide rod (the side that is just under the muzzel). The back of the guide rod is round- this is the part that mates with the end of the barrel.......

I think you might have the recoil/guide rod assembly installed backwards. The round end goes toward the muzzle. In this video, at around 30 seconds you'll see the slide removed and the guide rod assembly still in place:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL-ZFjv32Lw

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, everything looks soooo easy in the video. I noticed the recoil spring assembly in mine has the ends with flat edges in the front side- where it goes into the frame- some mixup in the factory?

posted Hide Post
No mixup. There are 2 kinds of recoil spring assemblies. This is a picture of one where the flats matter:

If yours is circular where this one is rectangular, it doesn't matter how you orient it. And the other end will have flats, and that's the muzzle end.

Really, take some pictures, use a photo sharing site (I use postimg.cc) and post the pics.

Take pictures of what the FCU unit looks like in the frame, what the slide with barrel and recoil assembly looks like, and how far you get the slide on the frame.

posted Hide Post
The carry configuration the OP has is the compact slide/barrel on a frame that has the full size length grip. The subcompact has a shorter slide/barrel, so it may not have the same recoil spring and guide as the compact/carry. On my P320, which started out as a compact, but I converted to a carry with the full sized frame, the muzzle end of the guide rod has the two flats, while the breach end of the guide rod, which rests against the barrel lug is round. The muzzle end of the recoil spring assembly is always the “fat” part of the two spring design, no matter what size the pistol, or whether the muzzle end of the guide rod is round or has the two flats. On mine, because the rear guide rod goes against the barrel lug is round, the position of the flats at the muzzle has no bearing on whether it goes back together or not.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for all the inputs. Got to put it back together. I am happy and thankful for all the support.

posted Hide Post
You can't do us like that! What ended up being the solution?

posted Hide Post
quote:
You can't do us like that! What ended up being the solution?

From what you guys said, I found out that the takedown lever was not fully rotated- this allowed the slide to go past the half way mark, also some parts were sticking out at the end- the safety lever or disconector as one person pointed out, I encountered some resistance here in pushing the slide all the way, I pushed the slide past this and all got to assemble the slie. I am grateful for all the inputs. I have a P226 and never had a problem like this. thank you again