SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best Sights for old eyes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Sights for old eyes Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bossgvr4:
For a carry gun Trijicon HD with the orange front sight.

Daylight only Williams Firesights

Red dot Romeo1 only because it has a rear notch to act as an iron sight in a pinch.

Or add supressor height sights to cowitness with your RDS.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do almost all of my shooting at indoor ranges so I needed sights that would work in the rather subdued lighting typical to these ranges.

Tried out Truglow TFO's on my XDM, could not see them worth spit, may as well been painted black.

Got a P239 in hopes the night sights might prove visible. Great pistol but the sights may as well been painted black, couldn't see them worth spit. Good news was the P239 is a great natural "pointer" for me so I can point shoot it pretty well even if I can't see the sight.

Had an itch for a 1911 and when the Ruger SR1911 came out it had exactly the feature I wanted and a distinctly reasonable price for a 1911. Sights come with big fat WHITE dots, those I can actually see if I cheat a bit with some 1 diopter readers.

Since I had a 1911 in 45 ACP I got the itch for a moon clip revolver in 45 ACP so I purchase the S&W model 625JM. This model comes with a gold bead front sight and can actually see the reflection of the back wall in that gold bead. Can'd see the rear notch at all but with the 500 Magnum monogrip mounted it's a revolver that points quite well so I simply put the bead on my aim point and that has worked rather well.

Bottomline, if you are getting visually challenged by age it's a good idea to practice Point Shooting so you'll be able to score well enough to defend yourself. Yeah a 4 or 5 inch group at 10 yards isn't anything to brag about but it is good enough to stop a bad guy. If you want to shoot tiny little groups do what I do and get a Ruger SR1911 and some readers to "cheat" with and go to town. If you really want to impress those in the neighboring lanes don't tell anyone your "shooting" glasses are actually reading glasses.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post