SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best Sights for old eyes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Sights for old eyes Login/Join 
posted
I have a sig 226 with night Sights. In daylight the sights aren't very bright and I have a hard time finding the front sight again between shots. If you've ever had sights hard to see what kind did you get to resolve it?

Posts: 44 | Location: Gilbert, Arizona | Registered: October 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I painted my front sights white, then when dry, topped with florescent orange. Works like a champ! Obviously, I kept the paint off the tritium lens.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I painted my front sights white, then when dry, topped with florescent orange. Works like a champ! Obviously, I kept the paint off the tritium lens.

Johnny,

You're a Booker's fan too! Best bourbon on the planet! Cool

Now on subject, I'm 58 and using Trijicon HD sights on most of my guns. I prefer the flourescent green over the orange

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gold Bead works best for me.

Posts: 458 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Trueglo - fiber optic plus lit with tritium. I shot one of V-Tail's pistols last week with these sights, and I will put them on my 229 when I get around to replacing the dimming sig lights that are on it.

My vision is such that the front sight gets pretty blurry on me, particularly if it is a mostly black sight and I am trying to hit a black target. The Truglo's were highly visible to me, and in focus.

If you don't care about having the sights backlit with tritium for night use, I find the Williams firesight to be very good as well. I have the Williams sights on two Ruger revolvers, but they are day light use only.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I like the Ameriglo Hackathorn combo. The rear sight notch is .180 and the front sight blade is .140.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Like ArtieS, I changed out to Truglo. My wife has some eyesite issues and the X-Rays that came on her P226 SAO Legion just didn't cut it. I put TFOs on it. The TFO's are a bit larger and she seems to be able to pickup the green optic with the tridium vials very well.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
I added LPA fibre optic sights to my P226 - much better for my own old(er) eyes, especially for IDPA use outdoors. The rear is adj. for an added bonus.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
The best solution for me is a red dot for my target/range gun. I like the Leupold DeltaPOint Pro but there are a lot of good red dot sights out there.

For my carry gun, I like the night sights that came standard on my SIG P938 Blackwood. At 15 yards and less, they work just fine.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the replies. I'm going to research the sights mentioned and go from there. Thanks

Posts: 44 | Location: Gilbert, Arizona | Registered: October 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Having a dayglo front site seems to work a lot better for me.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Johnny,

You're a Booker's fan too! Best bourbon on the planet! Cool

Now on subject, I'm 58 and using Trijicon HD sights on most of my guns. I prefer the flourescent green over the orange

I am 66. I was having trouble picking up the front sight a few years ago and tried the Trijicon HD sights. The difference was so profound and my scores so improved that I put them on all my Sigs. Another thing that helped was to take a facsimile pistol to my eye exam and have the doc give lea lens RX that is calibrated to the front sight

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Trijicon HD XR.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 for the trijicons.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Hello brules, Fellow Arizonan with older eyes here. I'll go in a slightly different direction with my 02 worth. If daytime accuracy is the goal, I have found black sights front and rear, with plenty of daylight around the front,to be the most visible and accurate set up for me. To accomplish this, I have installed .100" fronts on some of my guns. Of course, my use is just recreational shooting now days. Not competition,carry or duty use. If for high speed daylight target acquisition, the fiber optic fronts are good.....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Red fiber optic front with a plain black rear works good for my 66 year old eyes.
Its all about the front sight.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been away for awhile between work and vacation, so getting caught up on SF. 50 y/o eyes, now with transition lenses (PC for "bifocals ").. I'm liking the Trijicon HD as well.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prairieviper:
The best solution for me is a red dot for my target/range gun. I like the Leupold DeltaPOint Pro but there are a lot of good red dot sights out there.

Definitely this^^
Any kind of red dot would be a huge improvement as your eyes start ageing.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
quote:
Originally posted by prairieviper:

Definitely this^^
Any kind of red dot would be a huge improvement as your eyes start ageing.

Same here, after cataract surgery, I am now pretty much only carrying a G19 or a G43, both with RDS. That dot is so clear....

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a carry gun Trijicon HD with the orange front sight.

Daylight only Williams Firesights

Red dot Romeo1 only because it has a rear notch to act as an iron sight in a pinch.

Posts: 59 | Location: Fairfax, VA 5min to NRAHQ | Registered: August 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post