SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What After the 226 MK?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What After the 226 MK? Login/Join 
posted
I am still trying to decide what will be my next 9 mm after my SIG Sauer 226 MK25, 9mm. I installed Trijicon HD Orange Night Sights, and had an Action Enhancement Package performed by SIG. I am also been a probably put on some Hogue G10 grips.

Due to medical issues my 226 is the only gun I can shoot hundreds of rounds through without it bothering my hands. I have 3 other 9 mm, M&P 9, PX4, & HK P30L. I have night sights on all handguns and I had trigger and other upgrades done to the S&W and the Beretta.

I like carrying my P 30 L and sometimes my 226 but the 226 is a joy to shoot since it is pretty much pain-free.

I thought about the HK USP but I cannot find one to rent so I do not know about the recoil for someone who is recoil sensitive.

I also thought about the Legion but it may be too close to what I already have.

Besides losing my shoulderlength hair due to some medication my evil physician gave me, what should be my next 9 mm is 1 of my philosophical questions to ponder.

Any suggestions would be helpful if there are any. I tried CZ but the grip angle is steeper and I just feel more recoil with it.

Nevertheless happy shooting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might like a single stack 9 with a more concealable bbl. length as an addition to your battery. A P225 comes to mind and recoil should be similar to your 226. Another option would be to try a P229, double stack, just for its shorter bbl.

If you would like to expand your pistol shooting horizons, how 'bout a 1911 in 9mm. Ruger makes a good one, that's also great for concealed carry with its alloy frame. It's a mild shooting piece that feels like half the recoil of my .45's on the same 1911 frame, even with the lighter alloy construction.

But since the P226 works so well for you, an exchange kit in .22 LR; .40 S&W, or .357 Sig might be an option. I have the .40 unit for my P226 Mk25, as well as the .22 LR and especially find that the .22 LR one gets almost more use than either ht 9mm or .40. Friends and relatives that are interested in pistol shooting start out with the .22, then advance to the 9mm, learning the DA/SA trigger system as they go. Too, it's a great training aid if I find that I'm pulling my shots or other, non-standard manipulations. HTH's Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Go handle a Browning Hi Power in 9mm.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go handle a Browning Hi Power in 9mm.

Whew...great suggestion, David:
I carried one for 9 months, some 47 years ago while in Vietnam...never got over the great feel, nor the perfect fit of those grips in my hand. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I read your Military background and quote Rod. Thank you sir. Anyhow, Hi Power is not a world different than a CZ but I was thinking, being SA, wide smooth back strap and good sights, it may work for the OP. I completely over looked the P225. There really isn't any grip angle to the CZ. The P226 grip frame really is hard to beat. I know I've not handled a defense gun I like better. Maybe the OP should hunt down a fine condition W. German P226. There's a fine 9mm to shoot. I cant grasp why pain from some 9mm pistols as the cartridge just does not make much recoil.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
SSAreGreat, check out the full stainless steel P226 or a vintage P220 in 9mm. Those are the best I can come up with.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions Rodfac; and David Lee. I have heard wonderful things about the Browning hi power but like the nineteen elevens have shied away because of the single-action and usually single stack. I did shoot a Springfield Armory range officer with a 5 inch barrel and really like the gun but 9 round magazine and the single-action persuaded me against it.

I should add that I can easily conceal carry my SIG 226 MK25 and HK P30L. I always wear a sports jacket or a vest and it seems to work well with OWB.

Regarding the recoil issue when one has medical issues where sometimes just holding the pen and writing hurts then the small amount of recoil from one pistol to the next will be greatly amplified.

My 226 is amazing and that I can go through 400 rounds of Winchester white box without any pain.

I considered the 225 and 239 but one thing that usually works for me is weight and mass. Shooting 2 handguns that have the same weight but with slightly smaller dimensions, the larger size handgun always has reduced recoil since the vibrations have more area to be distributed around before it reaches my hand.

David Lee your suggestion about a West German P P 226 might be a good idea. It would be a nice collectible firearm and different enough from my MK 25 to avoid simple duplication.

Question: is GunBroker to place to find these and what is a reasonable price to pay?

PS I find this form probably 1 of the best ones out there. The members are friendly and helpful and try to make a lot of suggestions to help the OP. Even though it is a SIG form it is multi gun cultural in that one can discuss other firearms.

My deepest appreciation to everyone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A original W. German P226 can be found on many sites. GunBroker, GunsAmerica, Auction Arms, Guns International and many more. They come up for sale here in Classifieds. You could post to buy one also. Its nice to get one, all original with box, papers and spare magazines. Those darn early P226s are IMO, some of the best 9mm pistols ever made. Shooting them is proof of that. You be the judge.

Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
The only thing better than a P226 is two P226s. Try a P226 Legion.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if anyone mentioned it but a 229 in 9mm is a soft shooter.
I picked up a very nice triple serial numbered one and I forgot how much I loved it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a 226 and a USP 9 Tactical.
Recoil is very similar if not less with the USP in my opinion. Only thing with the USP is the grip texture is much more aggressive and it is noticeable after a days shooting.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or a 226 Tacops. I have similar issues with my hands, especially my right (dominant) one. My easiest to shoot pistol when it flares up is a Beretta 92 Brigadeer. I believe the Inox version is a bit heavier, I may end up with one of those. Since I don't want to do something stupid if I have to use deadly force, I often carry a Beretta 84 in .380. The shape is comfortable, recoil not too bad and it has a 13 round capacity. When I feel I must shoot heavy calibers (and sometimes I feel an overwhelming desire to do so), I shoot a Chiappa Rhino 6 inch. It's very easy to shoot with light recoil for such a heavy gun.

Happy shooting-and that Australian cream stuff Chuck Woolery hustles on tv really does help. Tends to crap up checkering on the grips, though Big Grin.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
CZ SP01. All steel pistol. Very little recoil. You can upgrade to a CZ CUSTOM pistol or send it to Cajun gun Works.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since it's a medical issue, you need to figure out if it's the weight specifically, or the shape of the grip, grip angle etc.

If it's weight that should be an easy enough decision based on specs.

Have you thought of a caliber outside of 9? The FN 5.7 is an interesting gun, and has been making a comeback - I see them everywhere lately. It's been a long time since I've shot one, but I recall that recoil is low, possibly lower than a 9mm.

Of course ammo isn't as common place, so maybe that's a factor for you but they are fun to shoot, and with current prices and availability you should be able to stock up on enough rounds easily enough to weather any future crisis that would make it difficult to feed it.

You could also look at a 1911 in 9mm (blasphemy), but you've already got a better gun in the 226.

Good luck,

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
If you want a soft shooting pistol, and CZs don't work for you, Beretta 92.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4616 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freq18Hz:
Since it's a medical issue, you need to figure out if it's the weight specifically, or the shape of the grip, grip angle etc.

If it's weight that should be an easy enough decision based on specs.

Have you thought of a caliber outside of 9? The FN 5.7 is an interesting gun, and has been making a comeback - I see them everywhere lately. It's been a long time since I've shot one, but I recall that recoil is low, possibly lower than a 9mm.

Of course ammo isn't as common place, so maybe that's a factor for you but they are fun to shoot, and with current prices and availability you should be able to stock up on enough rounds easily enough to weather any future crisis that would make it difficult to feed it.

You could also look at a 1911 in 9mm (blasphemy), but you've already got a better gun in the 226.

Good luck,

Thanks for the post Freq18Hz. Originally, I very much wanted the 57 but with exotic ammo (only 2 guns use this round) and the pistol is hard for me to rack since it is "Blowback" i decided against it. At the Chantilly VA gun show today I saw many f the FN 57 pistols for sale.

Thanks for the opinion on my 226 vs 1911. Te SIG is a great gun.

-Freq

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
If you want a soft shooting pistol, and CZs don't work for you, Beretta 92.

I am still considering a 92 FS. I like the gun a lot but I want one to shoot and carry concealed. I do conceal carry the 226 without a problem but the 92 is longer a little harder to draw. Still considering it.

posted Hide Post
X5 or X6.

Posts: 369 | Registered: April 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I have a 226 and a USP 9 Tactical.
Recoil is very similar if not less with the USP in my opinion. Only thing with the USP is the grip texture is much more aggressive and it is noticeable after a days shooting.

I like the USP 9 a lot. Nicer finish on HK IMHO. I cannot find one to rent and I was concerned about recoil with the pistol weighing less than the 226. Before my hands became what they are now my P30L did not bother me but now it does a great deal.

posted Hide Post
Beretta 92's are nice but honestly unless it's for collecting, I can't think of two guns more similar than a 226 or a 92fs.

The 92 may shoot slightly softer, but I prefer the Sig. of course I love each of my 92's, but if I had to choose one I would probably only buy the Sig.

That said, 92 is one of my favorite guns.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post