SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What modifications done to your P238?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What modifications done to your P238? Login/Join 
posted
I've seen differente grips, different brands of laser lights, and an after-market trigger replacement to limit over-travel, all available as modifications to the P238. Haven't seen much discussion of changing springs or other mods to the gun to improve it. Not that it needs improvement, but different folks find different things frustrating and usually go about finding a fix. Would be interested in hearing what folks have done to their P238's to make them more satisfying.

Posts: 36 | Location: upstate SC | Registered: July 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Hogue G10 Black Piranha grips, mainspring housing and spring for a P238 Equinox.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
After its initial challanges, SIG hit a homerun with the 238. Probably one of the best micros on the market IMO. The plastic trigger always felt (and looked) cheap to me. An alum Galloway or Tillamook would do them well.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I put on Hogue-brand G10 black checkered grips. I bought the gen2 MSH and sear/ejector spring, but haven't installed them yet. No need to because the gen1 MSH shows no sign of wear after 900+ rounds.

Personally, I find the stock polymer trigger to be perfect in all aspects: function, feel, and appearance. The trigger face serrations are perfectly comfortable for me, and provide excellent traction.

No other changes planned. I love the little beast.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Traded my first one for an HD when they came out. Added an ambi safety and some aluminum grips with a matching MSH.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
Hogue G10 Black Piranha grips, mainspring housing and spring for a P238 Equinox.

Are the new mainspring and housing for repair or do they improve the action for you?

Posts: 36 | Location: upstate SC | Registered: July 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Traded my first one for an HD when they came out. Added an ambi safety and some aluminum grips with a matching MSH.

PRETTY!

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by modbuilder:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:

Are the new mainspring and housing for repair or do they improve the action for you?

The nub on the gen1 MSH (which locates the sear/ejector spring) tended to wear. That issue was worse with the P938, but sometimes happened with the P238 too. The gen2 MSH eliminated that problem. Also, the back surface of the gen2 MSH is checkered – an improvement on the smooth gen1 MSH.

Be aware that the gen2 MSH requires the gen2 sear/ejector spring.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hogue G10 checkered grips on all three. Also changed all triggers to W Engineering aluminum skeletonized ones.

On the HD model, changed all the controls and the mainspring housing to stainless, just for looks.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
Replaced the trigger with a smooth stainless steel Tillamook trigger. Even though it was not needed changed the MSH to a Hogue Gen 2 version.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Hogue smooth rosewood grips. They work fine given the gun's light recoil and look fine but I think I'm liking the Altamont rosewood basketweave as possible replacements. Just need them to get it back in stock.

So far its Gen1 MSH has held up fine, with no noticeable wear. I bought a C&S aluminum trigger bow a long while ago but haven't installed it; the factory poly bow continues to work fine and hasn't been an annoyance or created any issues worth dealing with.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
When I had one, I changed over to vz grips and a metal trigger. Polished the internals a little and it was good to go with a 4.5 pound trigger. Loved the gun as a pocket gun, but couldn't get used to a safety again since I switched to carrying a glock normally. Sold it and got a m&p340.

As saidalready, I consider it one of if not the best pocket gun on the market. Night sights, soft shooting, great size.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None! It is great just as is.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
When I had one, I changed over to vz grips and a metal trigger. Polished the internals a little and it was good to go with a 4.5 pound trigger.

What gave you the 4.5# trigger pull? metal trigger? polishing the internals? I think I'd like to go for a 4-5lb trigger, but I'm not sure how to go about it without harming the operation of the gun.

posted Hide Post
Notwithstanding the debate on why a gun with night sights needs a laser --> I find it curious that no one has mentioned putting a laser on their P238. Surely there are some who like it that way (?)

Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
quote:
Notwithstanding the debate on why a gun with night sights needs a laser --> I find it curious that no one has mentioned putting a laser on their P238. Surely there are some who like it that way (?)

Have lasers on both a P238 and P938. I did not consider adding a laser as a mod to the pistol.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveR2012:
Have lasers on both a P238 and P938. I did not consider adding a laser as a mod to the pistol.

Fair enough. Did you go red or green? Happy with choices? Thx........ R

Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveR2012:

Fair enough. Did you go red or green? Happy with choices? Thx........ R

I'm cheap so added red lasers. Only use the laser as a last resort at night in case I do not have my glasses on. I can actually shoot more accurately without the laser.

posted Hide Post
Has anyone done "trigger action" work, e.g., reduce the trigger pull?

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone done "trigger action" work, e.g., reduce the trigger pull?

Yes, I have. I replaced the trigger with a version from Glen at Partsproduction. It the process I also did some polishing of parts that move against one another, but left the sear alone. Reducing trigger pull mostly is done by bending (relieving tension) the mainspring, which is a trial and error method.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post