SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What modifications done to your P238?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What modifications done to your P238? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
<snip>
Reducing trigger pull mostly is done by bending (relieving tension) the mainspring, which is a trial and error method.

I wonder if you mean bending the sear spring. That's more commonly the method.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Yes. I misnamed the spring.

1 addition: I also replaced the hammer spring with a reduced power spring from Wolfe (for the Colt Mustang)

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI -- I was at my LGS yesterday (negotiating for a sweet P238 RG tradein that was practically brand new - got it too), and was discussing a laser for the P238. He told me that the patent held by Crimson Trace had recently expired. Said abuncha competition was rolling in and laser prices were dropping pretty quick.

Posts: 36 | Location: upstate SC | Registered: July 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveR2012:
quote:
Originally posted by modbuilder:
Notwithstanding the debate on why a gun with night sights needs a laser --> I find it curious that no one has mentioned putting a laser on their P238. Surely there are some who like it that way (?)

Have lasers on both a P238 and P938. I did not consider adding a laser as a mod to the pistol.

What brand of laser did you put on your P238?

Posts: 1 | Location: yes | Registered: September 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Notwithstanding the debate on why a gun with night sights needs a laser --> I find it curious that no one has mentioned putting a laser on their P238. Surely there are some who like it that way (?)
My original 238 came with a good laser design by CT, however, when the gun was replaced for a micro fracture to the frame, it came with a cheap Chinese laser and the activation switch was relocated. Threw that POS in the trash

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd update this thread on recent work I did on my P238.

I don't know what trigger pull weight I started with, but the trigger had some roughness and seemed a little heavy. The W-Engineering trigger seemed to be a popular upgrade so I installed their aluminum skeletonized trigger and lightly polished the trigger bar, sear, , hammer, ejector, and disconnect while I had everything apart.

I made up a home-brew trigger pull gauge out of a bent coat hanger, a 2-gal plastic pail, and my wife's electronic kitchen scale with a 1/8 lb resolution and a 12lb max limit. It's not a Lyman pull gauge but it is reproducible. I suspended the bucket from the trigger using the coat hanger and filled the bucket with water until the hammer let off. Then I weighed the hanger and water bucket on the digital scale.

With the new trigger, light polishing on the internals, and a little bending on the sear and ejector springs (not taking them all the way to flat but taking out some of the factory pressure), the resulting trigger was smooth with 7.5 lbs to a crisp release. It felt good, but I wanted to see if I could get it a little lighter without compromising function.

Rather than taking further tension out of the two sides of the leaf spring, I opted to install a 20-lb Wolff hammer spring to see what effect it would have on pull weight. Following that change, the trigger pull was 6lb 2oz. and still smooth and crisp. Liking it a bunch.

Will update the thread on range results when I get 'em. FWIW, I've also installed a CT green laser for a lot of reasons and am liking it so far. Am also working through a problem with unintended mag release. Am waiting on a 1911 spring for the mag release catch to arrive this coming week. Thought I'd solved that problem with a previous "heavy" spring in the mag release catch, but no joy. Have read all the threads on mag release in two different Sig forums, so I'm up to speed on that issue.

As a side note, all the above work was easy to do except the trigger replacement. The trigger pin is a very tight friction fit. I have a press and thought I'd have no trouble pressing out the pin. But the frame was showing signs of not handling the compression, so I ended up beating the pin out. It's important to note that the two sides of the frame have different sized holes for this pin, so don't try to pound it out of the smaller hole (or back in from that hole either). It's a "toughee". Otherwise the work was straightforward, and I learned a lot about how this machine works. The design and implementation is a work of art.

Regards... Bob R.

Posts: 36 | Location: upstate SC | Registered: July 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am also working through a problem with unintended mag release. Am waiting on a 1911 spring for the mag release catch to arrive this coming week. Thought I'd solved that problem with a previous "heavy" spring in the mag release catch, but no joy. Have read all the threads on mag release in two different Sig forums, so I'm up to speed on that issue

This has been driving me crazy as well. It only happens with the extended mags, the ones I really want to carry with this gun. I also did all the searches etc online and finally came across a youtube yesterday that may have solved it without a lot of hassle. Acknowledge the problem may be the mag catch spring, so he merely stretched it a bit. Did that to mine yesterday and want to get it to the range today to try it out. Fingers crossed. Other than that I can not figure out how this thing would just drop. It 'clicks' in just fine, seems solid, my grip doesn't seem to be the problem from what I've observed so we'll see.

I also replaced the trigger some months ago with a Galloway Precision one.

I do have a Sig red laser on it, very accurate. Looking for a good holster for it.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume you've found the comments about the grip extender on the base plate of that magazine needing to be trimmed a little to eliminate a pressure on that specific mag from the magazine well. Let me know if you need more detail. ........ R

posted Hide Post
quote:
I do have a Sig red laser on it, very accurate. Looking for a good holster for it.

I'm using a Vedder Light Tuck Kydex IWB holster for mine with the CT laser. It's formed specifically to that gun/laser combo, but that doesn't help you much with a different laser. Forum searches for holsters found more than I could absorb among the different threads and different forums, so that may be a useful resource if you're persistent.

posted Hide Post
Grayguns is also offering a replacement trigger for the 238. I apologize if some has already made mention of it in this thread.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I have the Gray Guns PX38 Trigger in Red and it is being installed tomorrow. I am unlucky enough to be one of the few with the extremely stubborn pin that needs to be pressed out.
Besides that- mine is completely stock and racks smooth as glass. The guys in the shop today couldn't beleive how smooth it was and said my trigger was great.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
quote:
Am also working through a problem with unintended mag release. Am waiting on a 1911 spring for the mag release catch to arrive this coming week. Thought I'd solved that problem with a previous "heavy" spring in the mag release catch, but no joy. Have read all the threads on mag release in two different Sig forums, so I'm up to speed on that issue

This has been driving me crazy as well. It only happens with the extended mags, the ones I really want to carry with this gun. I also did all the searches etc online and finally came across a youtube yesterday that may have solved it without a lot of hassle. Acknowledge the problem may be the mag catch spring, so he merely stretched it a bit. Did that to mine yesterday and want to get it to the range today to try it out. Fingers crossed. Other than that I can not figure out how this thing would just drop. It 'clicks' in just fine, seems solid, my grip doesn't seem to be the problem from what I've observed so we'll see.

I also replaced the trigger some months ago with a Galloway Precision one.

If you are looking for a custom leather holster, then Ryan Grizzle has some superb designs and workmanship:- http://rgrizzleleather.com/index.html

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, the Sig 1911 mag catch spring shortened to same length as original P238 spring did the trick for me. I installed it this morning and put 12 mags through the gun with no unintended mag releases. Previously I couldn't run a whole mag through it without the mag dropping an inch and causing all manner of mischief. The mag release button is significantly stiffer now, but not enough to be a problem operating it.

I have a theory why many of the folks with mag releases are having trouble only on the extended mag, and why the extended mag has that dimple on the top that is not there on the 6-round mag. I'd further guess that the problem with the extended mag is specific to right-handed shooters only.

If you accept that most shooters are right handed, then when using the extended mag, the fingers apply a left-to-right force on the bottom of the magazine that is not there with the 6-round mag. That would press the bottom of the mag against the right inside of the grip and produce an opposite (right-to-left) force at the top of the mag. A right-to-left force at the top of the mag tends to move the magazine away from the small ledge on the mag catch that holds the mag in place. Throw in some recoil forces and a not-strong-enough spring in the mag catch, and it's easy to imagine the slot in the mag moving off of the catch. That also would explain why the 7-round mag has a dimple on the top left of the magazine to help keep the top of the magazine from moving right-to-left at the top when a right-handed shooter grips the extended portion of the mag. It's not a problem for a left-handed shooter because their grip on the bottom the mag tends to move the top of the mag more toward the release catch instead of away from it.

That also explains why the stiffer mag catch release spring solves the problem. With a really strong spring, the catch is held hard left insuring that the most possible area of the ledge that supports the mag is kept available to the mag during recoil. Stated another way, the release catch with a strong spring can chase the top of the mag as it tries to move right-to-left during a firm right-handed grip and recoil.

That may all be a BunchABull, but the bottom line for me is that the stiff spring in the release catch is cheap, quick and easy to install, and it solves the problem of the unintended mag releases. At least it did for me.

Regards............ R

posted Hide Post
That sounds like a reasonable and well thought out explanation for the mag catch spring, well done. I'll be curious to see if my 'fix' worked with just stretching the existing spring a bit but if not I'll definitely go for that 1911 spring. Hope to get my shooter to the range this weekend.
Tks for the tip.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
stkfox -- it's been a really long time since I've had strength of materials, but I would expect that stretching the existing spring would help only temporarily. I suspect it would lose it's strength pretty steadily with use. If it corrects the problem for you, I'd use that as a reason to replace the stretched spring with the heavier Sig 1911 spring. The 1911 spring is wound of larger diameter wire and has a much higher spring constant than the OEM P238 spring. Considering how important the mag is to the proper running of the gun, it could be an important decision.

posted Hide Post
I realize my posts might not amount to much but I was surprised when the one here disappeared. I sure didn't think I said anything out of line and just gave my opinion about changing or altering my P-238. Hey I apologize if I offended anyone.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bending the sear spring causes a weak point in it and is only a temporary fix. A good stone and polish of the sear and hammer engagement areas and the trigger bar where it engages the frame makes a world of difference in this little guy.

Posts: 134 | Registered: August 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ruger Redhawk:
I realize my posts might not amount to much but I was surprised when the one here disappeared. I sure didn't think I said anything out of line and just gave my opinion about changing or altering my P-238. Hey I apologize if I offended anyone.

I think you've confused this thread with this other one where you also posted: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8280090134

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
stkfox -- it's been a really long time since I've had strength of materials, but I would expect that stretching the existing spring would help only temporarily. I suspect it would lose it's strength pretty steadily with use. If it corrects the problem for you, I'd use that as a reason to replace the stretched spring with the heavier Sig 1911 spring. The 1911 spring is wound of larger diameter wire and has a much higher spring constant than the OEM P238 spring. Considering how important the mag is to the proper running of the gun, it could be an important decision.

Well, just back from the range with 'stretched' mag catch spring and it worked, for all of 5 shots then backed out. Tried another 7 rounder with same result. The 6 round mags, no problem thru 50 rounds.

A Sig 1911 spring is on the way from Brownells.