SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What modifications done to your P238?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What modifications done to your P238? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Ruger Redhawk:
I realize my posts might not amount to much but I was surprised when the one here disappeared. I sure didn't think I said anything out of line and just gave my opinion about changing or altering my P-238. Hey I apologize if I offended anyone.

I think you've confused this thread with this other one where you also posted: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8280090134

Thanks Bald1 that's exactly what happened. My mistake. Thanks for clearing that up. The two posts were so similar. My bad as they say.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, just back from the range with 'stretched' mag catch spring and it worked, for all of 5 shots then backed out. Tried another 7 rounder with same result. The 6 round mags, no problem thru 50 rounds.

A Sig 1911 spring is on the way from Brownells.

Please update the thread on outcome after you install the Sig 1911 spring. Hope it works as well for you as it did for me. If you have to remove more than two loops, you've got the re-install wrong. It's tight, but it'll go. I actually bought 3 of them because they're cheap and I had already messed up one previously. Good luck......... R

Posts: 36 | Location: upstate SC | Registered: July 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by modbuilder:
quote:
Well, just back from the range with 'stretched' mag catch spring and it worked, for all of 5 shots then backed out. Tried another 7 rounder with same result. The 6 round mags, no problem thru 50 rounds.

A Sig 1911 spring is on the way from Brownells.

Please update the thread on outcome after you install the Sig 1911 spring. Hope it works as well for you as it did for me. If you have to remove more than two loops, you've got the re-install wrong. It's tight, but it'll go. I actually bought 3 of them because they're cheap and I had already messed up one previously. Good luck......... R

Brownells sent me a Mag catch STOP spring, not a mag release spring.
Took the spring from my Colt .45 just for a look see, and yeah, that looks like it will work.

Now have a 4 pack of 1911 springs coming from Midway, different strengths, so I can fine tune it, provided it works at all.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, back from the range with a 1911 mag catch spring installed.
100 rounds thru (4)7-round mags and not one drop!
Very satisfied with that, however the pistol did fail to lock back on the last shot about 5 times.
I ended up getting the 4 spring deal from Midway and used the one that is one step below the original 1911 in strength. I did take about a coil to a coil and a half off the spring and installed easily. It is much stiffer as I checked it against my wife's pistol.
Great results, thanks for the tip!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
OK, back from the range with a 1911 mag catch spring installed.
100 rounds thru (4)7-round mags and not one drop!
Very satisfied with that, however the pistol did fail to lock back on the last shot about 5 times.
I ended up getting the 4 spring deal from Midway and used the one that is one step below the original 1911 in strength. I did take about a coil to a coil and a half off the spring and installed easily. It is much stiffer as I checked it against my wife's pistol.
Great results, thanks for the tip!

Re: "the pistol did fail to lock back on the last shot about 5 times."

Try this: Remove the follower and spring from the mag. Put a patch on your cleaning rod, wet it with CLP, then swab the inside of the mag. The cleaning and lubrication might solve your problem.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad the new catch spring solved the dropped mag problem. That's a biggie in terms of reliability. If Smoker's suggestion doesn't work for the lock back failure, I'd recommend replacing the mag spring.

I've come to appreciate that these springs have a life that doesn't come with a known expiration date. I'm starting to think 1000 rounds is about all I want to run in my EDC before changing the recoil, mag, hammer, and catch springs, and maybe the firing pin spring too. There's a lot of danged springs in this thing that have to work right to keep it reliable. And some of them seem to start showing signs of fatigue above 500 rounds, which can come up pretty fast.

The mag spring change out is not tough but it does involve some technique that can be found on YouTube. Please keep updating us with progress. Thanks........ Bob R.

Posts: 36 | Location: upstate SC | Registered: July 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post