SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Time to refurbish my P239...? Guidance please from those with more experience in this, or SIG custom shop vs Grayguns...Edit: ANSWERED!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to refurbish my P239...? Guidance please from those with more experience in this, or SIG custom shop vs Grayguns...Edit: ANSWERED! Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I did a thread the other day about my 13 year old P239 .40 needing new night sights (ended up being Trijicons). That was as I was looking at my options for doing a refurb on it.

It's got in the neighborhood of 8,000 rounds. Maybe over 10,000. Everything is original. I know springs are well past needing to be replaced. It's not my daily carry now, but I think once I get it freshened it may go back into rotation. It was my first handgun, so it's not going anywhere.

My only concern is frame wear. It looks like I did some shooting with too-little grease/lube, and there is a fair amount of shiny aluminum on the inside-top of the frame rails, and a couple of tiny burrs. My understanding is that I'm still good for a long time, even with the shiny aluminum.

I'm looking at two main options: Send the gun to Sig, or to Grayguns. And that's where I need advice.

EDIT: Well, Mr. Gray himself stepped in on Page 2 and answered this question Wink Look forward to a review and evaluation of the upgrades in a few months with lots of pics and a Youtube video if I can convince my 10 year old I'm cool enough for him to teach me how to work Youtube.

If I send it to Sig, I believe I can get their SIG Service Plan for $144.95 (not 100% sure because they describe it as for when you buy a used gun), and it will include basics, including new springs and new night sights. I want to get a short reset trigger, so that would be another $99.95. So $245 total, plus shipping. Or, I can send the slide to Trijicon and get new sights for $60, then send the gun to Grayguns for their Action Cleanup Perfection package for $295, which includes springs, etc. I understand that also includes an upgrade to a short reset trigger for a P239 if desired: "all P239 pistols, and you may request optional reduced-reset as part of the package price on this model only" - per their website. So Grayguns plus Trijicon sights comes to $355

So...first, am I looking at this right? Is this gun worth $245 - $355, if I plan to continue using it for years to come? Will the frame wear be a limiting issue? And if not, is the Grayguns work + new sights worth the extra $110? I've never had any work done on any of my guns, but $355 is an acceptable number to me if I'm going to be able to get another 10 years out of it.

If so...I'm going to find me a set of Nill grips when I get done Wink

Hoping this works...firs time trying to link photos since Photo[kickedthe]bucket.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chongosuerte,

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I would do a SSP, that's it. SRT is overrated, imo. Then, just grease that sucker and continue shooting the heck out of it. I have zero concerns about those frame rails.

Q

Posts: 26335 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
If it were me, I would do a SSP, that's it. SRT is overrated, imo. Then, just grease that sucker and continue shooting the heck out of it. I have zero concerns about those frame rails.

Considering the first 8,000+ rounds were with the normal trigger, and I did fine with it, that's a valid point. I think the reset feels a little sloppy now, probably due to worn springs.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent my EDC 239 to Sig for an SSP when they had a special about 5 or 6 years ago. Just did the SSP and recrowned the barrel. Still great and in the rotation. Tried to replace it but it beats out the competition.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Have you considered buying a new one set up the way you want it & selling your current 239?
I ask because used Sigs even LEO trade ins are going for $450-$550 in my area all day long.
Add the $335 to what you sell yours for & I'd bet you'd be real close to the price of a new one.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can save money by doing the SRT yourself. IIRC, it's 50 bucks from Top Gun Supply. Not a hard conversion to do. I did mine and really like it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bulldog7972,

Posts: 5741 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you what. If you decide to do the SRT yourself and find that you don't like it or that it's too difficult to do, I'll buy the SRT kit from you.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The frame rails look fine to me, as well.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Frame rails look like every P239 I have ever seen right down to the more severe parts towards the front. I think that is just how they wear and I wouldn't stress too much.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
You’ll love the Nills on it. You might want to consider Robert Burke. Installing the SRT yourself isn’t hard and very educational.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I refurbished my P239 by replacing the springs, installing a solid stainless steel recoil spring guide, replacing the Hogue rubber grips (with the finger grooves) that came with it, with Hogue "Extreme" G10 grips. I then sent the pistol off to Cummings Custom Refinishing (CCR), where the frame was given a Cerahide (House Black) coating and Ceraplate was applied to the other steel parts.

Note that I had a set of Nills on this once, but found that they were a bit too wide for my taste. The Hogue "Extreme" G10s were a perfect fit for my hands. I may still have the Nills and if they're around and you're interested, I could probably send them to you as a "karma".

I had a set of Heine "Straight 8" sights on the gun before, but replaced those after I'd had an opportunity to try out the Trijicon HDs.

As originally purchased, my P239 was in .357 Sig caliber. I had to buy a .40 S&W barrel because my department didn't approve the .357 Sig, only 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP. I kept the barrel because I thought I might someday consider carrying it (if circumstances permitted), and recently bought an "as new/used" 9mm barrel and recoil spring for versatility. Using the .357 Sig and .40 S&W magazines with the 9mm set up proved what I'd heard was true: The 9mm rounds functioned perfectly. The 9mm set up is actually the most accurate of the three calibers.

Best of luck with your P239. These are sturdy pistols and I'm sure you'll get many more years service out of yours!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So you are saying you just dropped a barrel and recoil spring on your .40 and ran it with your .40 mags and all worked?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
So you are saying you just dropped a barrel and recoil spring on your .40 and ran it with your .40 mags and all worked?

Yup! That's exactly what I'm saying. I picked up those two parts after reading about others who'd converted their P239s the same way, on this forum. I might add that since the slides are different on the 9mm (original) version of the P239 than the heavier .40/.357 Sig models, its only with the later the conversion might be practical. Don't try using a .40/.357 Sig barrel and recoil spring system on a 9mm slide equipped P239. You may have issues.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't speak for you, but if it was me, I'd do the following:

1) Send it to Sig for the Sig Service plan. Sig states that "This service, valued at $225, is yours for just $144.95 and brings your used SIG SAUER pistol back to peak operational readiness." All you need is a spring replacement and inspection. This is baby stuff.

https://www.sigsauer.com/custom-shop/

2) IMO, the SRT is not needed. I know it's the rage among Sig owners nowadays. My own opinion is that with defensive pistols and defensive ammo, trigger fundamentals are more important. Save the money for ammo or a good pistol course. I have one pistol with the SRT and the others don't. I don't shoot the SRT any better than the non-SRT's. No matter how fast the reset, the dang thing still has to come down from recoil before firing again. All mine are .40's.

3) Given the pic quality and lighting, it's hard to see the amount of wear. Most likely, it's just surface. Looks similar to my 2006 P239 .40 with about the same round count. The anodized finish is not a surface treatment, the color changes but he protection is still there in the alloy frame.

4) Sights are a personal preference issue. All my defensive guns use either Heinie or Warren Tactical black. Again, I'm an old curmudgeon regarding night sights. Since our range has low/no light capability, I've shot with night sights and black/black in varying low-light conditions, so my preference is not theoretical. Nothing wrong with Sig night sights. Choice of sights is probably not the deciding factor in surviving a civilian gunfight.

5) Grips. Personal preference. All my Sigs use G10 checkered. Skateboard tape on front strap and G10 checkering on back strap locks the gun in nicely under recoil. I found the Sig OEM grips slippery, especially the back strap.

6) Action work. My P239 is the only gun I have that didn't need any tuning. Single stack P239 More forgiving than fat double stack guns in regard to the DA.

In other words, for $145 plus shipping you can do everything that matters (except for grips).

I do my own work on my Sigs, 1911's and Glocks. My 1995 P229 .40 was "refurbished" in my basement after about 30,000 rounds. Springs were all it needed. Still chuggin with over 47,000 rounds now. Quality handguns will outlive their owners with proper maintenance. I clean/inspect and lube after each range session. Detail strip depends on use, but usually once a year on average.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
You’ll love the Nills on it. You might want to consider Robert Burke. Installing the SRT yourself isn’t hard and very educational.

This. I'd have Robert work it, and send it to the forum favored CCR if you want refinishing done. But I'd just send it to Robert and let him handle all of it. You'll be extremely pleased with the trigger once you get it back. He is a Sig Certified factory armorer.

www.thesigarmorer.com

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re using 9mm in P239 .40's. Works like a charm. Mine has been utterly reliable. Sig OEM 9mm barrel, runs with nine or forty mags. I just use the original .40 RS.

GaryBF gets the kudos for starting the ball rolling here on SF. A number of members have done this successfully.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Re using 9mm in P239 .40's. Works like a charm. Mine has been utterly reliable. Sig OEM 9mm barrel, runs with nine or forty mags. I just use the original .40 RS.

GaryBF gets the kudos for starting the ball rolling here on SF. A number of members have done this successfully.

Just to add: The .357 Sig magazines work fine with 9mm ammo too!

Many thanks to GaryBF for the original info! My P239 is just about as versatile as my P250!

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:

Just to add: The .357 Sig magazines work fine with 9mm ammo too!

Many thanks to GaryBF for the original info! My P239 is just about as versatile as my P250!

That's another reason I'm taking care of this gun...I just got a 9mm barrel for it Wink

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
If you like working on guns, I'm in the do it yourself camp. The spring pack, SRT trigger and GGI Armorer DVDs will cost less than the Sig service plan.

I installed the GGI spring kit (19lb mainspring) and did a light polish to the action parts (didn't touch the hammer/sear engagement) to a 1981 P6 with an atrocious trigger and it came out very nice. Night and day difference.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate the input.

I'm going to send it to SIG and have them do their SSP.

Once I get it back and feel what a new spring does to the trigger, I'll reconsider the SRT. At that point I'd probably get one and do it myself.

I actually don't mind the doing it myself part, but I'd like SIG to go through and make sure everything is tip-top. I have concerns with the trigger system right now. As mentioned, not sure if it is a worn spring, or something else.

Pulicords, if that karma offer still stands, I'd be a fool to not jump at it. I've wanted a set since I bought this gun.

-JALLEN