SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best way to sell high end pistols?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to sell high end pistols? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Thanks!

So how do you folks normally handle shipping and handling (FFL) fees? You pay? They pay? Split? All of my buys have been via FFL/Stores or face to face.

Spell out your terms at the outset, so there will be no misunderstanding. Your stuff, you set the terms.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
I've got some solid Sig pistols I'm thinking of selling. (please don't email, this isn't the solicitation to sell, just looking to pick up some advice)

What would be the best way to sell them? Do any of you have any experience with high end auction sites like Rock Island?

I'm not on gunbroker, is that workable?

Or just list it on Sig forum?

Couple of the first X6s imported by Clubster back when he was on Sigforum with a long list of us (1 P226 9mm and 1 P220 .45), a 1 of 210 engraved P210 that Jaymie from Afton Arms imported from Germany, and a couple of Sport models (also 1 9mm and 1 .45) with the compensators.

My personal theory is guns like these only get top dollar in the right market with the right photos, description, and item set. IE box, papers, tools, booklets.

So, how do I go about it?
I take a picture of the pistol on a solid background using a lightbox

Take a photo of each side, Top, bottom, trigger area, ejection port, muzzle and back strap. Fields strip the pistol. wipe it clean, this includes mags. Take a photo of the pistol disassembled, each piece, magazines apart and together. Lube everything back up and reassemble. Take a photo of all paperwork minus bill of sale. Take a photo of the case. All in all 20-35 photos minimum.

Write a description of the gun using the correct name, and the name found on the barcode on the box. List how it was purchased. Accurate round counts as best you can detail. How it was stored. Then the most important part is to answer every question as courteously as possible and to the fullest extent. I can not tell you how many times I answered something as trivial as the model name, only to sell it to that person at a price point higher than I was hoping to get. If necessary, talk on the phone.

As to where to put it up for sale. Sig forum is an excellent choice. If no traction here after 3 weeks or so, quietly take it down and try gunbroker.

Shipping usually runs 35 dollars from ffl for a pistol sized box. plus or minus not including insurance. I would stipulate that if they want it insured it is on their dime. Fed Ex UPS will run a bit more upwards of 50-75 dollars privately.

I prefer shipping FFL to FFL. I bring it in the box, but not sealed. I buy the FFL lunch, he writes the gun in his book, drops in his FFL, I seal the box. As soon as he has a copy of the recipients ffl he prints a UPS, fed ex-label or walks it over to the post office. I know at that point, the gun has not been fingered any more than is necessary on my end.

Shipping is usually paid by the buyer, ffl transfer fee's on your end are paid by you if you ship via ffl. If you ship via ups or fedex to an ffl, then he will pay shipping, and his ffls transfer fees.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
Certainly list them here on the forum. If you decide to list them, shoot me an email, I'd certainly be interested in the P226 Sport as I've been looking for one for a long time.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Read the first few pages of the classifieds here and Para’s posts at the top and you’ll know everything you need to know.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great replies. I need to figure out what I'm going to do, work on a light box and a place to store photos.

BUT, I see people asking for cash or just $1100. or $650. Saw "Asking $1500 cash out the door". If it's shipped how do folks handle that? Does Postal money order sent in advance usually predominate? I've seen Para and others suggest never using paypal and some folks have had nightmares when it goes bad with them as they are anti-gun. But I do see a gun sale in the classifieds where they would take a USPS money order or paypal (buyer pays fees)

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I have done when BUYING a gun from someone I do not know is to send a Postal Money order to the sellers FFL, who is shipping the gun.
In turn when he receives the M.O., he gets and ships the gun. He turns over the M.O. when he gets the guns to ship.
Worked great. He shipped it to my FFL guy.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. The classifieds here is where I’d try to sell a high end sig. I’ve sold several pistols here over the years and bought a few and every transaction went smoothly.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post