SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Fiber optic sights? Thinking of getting some, what do I need to know?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiber optic sights? Thinking of getting some, what do I need to know? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I have never used fiber optic sights. My pistols either have factory 3 dot, glock U notch, or Trijicon HDs.

Thinking of going with a blackout rear sight and front fiber optic on a Beretta, I see the Langdon uses that set up as well.

What are the pros and cons of fiber optic? Its a range pistol only

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some on my smith victory, (that is my only current model with them) i had some on my DW pm9 and PM7. In bright daylight, i found the front sight overpowering. cloudy, low, indoor i found it to be very usefull

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Have several pistols with FO sights. Most of mine are Williams Firesights. The only real problem I have ever had is sometimes the lite pipe falls out. I have extras now and if I can't find the one that fell out I just cut a new one and put it in. Heat the ends with a match and GTG.
Great for my old eyes.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I like them, but they need light to work well. Indoor ranges and covered firing lines make them less effective. And they sometimes break.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I had a TFO front sight installed on my P365. Really helped in achieving a good sight picture in various lighting.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
For your intended use there are no cons. Check out Dawson Precision. They have a great selection and are a top notch company to deal with.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the FO front site with a black U. Green is my favorite for the front site. I don't see any negatives.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I have them on most of my range guns. All of mine are Dawson Precision, black rear with either red or green front. Both colors are fine for me at outdoor or indoor ranges.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black serrated rear color of choice up front. Dawson offers many many heights to hit where you want it to. Do your math with a gun that hits where you want unless you want to swap out fronts once or twice. I think Dawson actually will trade out the first wrong height. I might be wrong on that.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of throwingdown
posted Hide Post
In daylight or overcast it's like having a red dot on your pistol. If it's night unless they are tritium and F/O they aren't any more visible than any other sight. Of course if you have a light they will be black like any sight in the dark.

They are smaller and offer better accuracy at distance.

They can break but I've never had one do that. I changed one from red to green. I had to use a razor to cut it and it took a bit of effort.

Posts: 423 | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
My set up is a FO front and black rear. At close range, it’s almost like a red dot. I use green because I see it better.

They do break or loosen and fall out but the fiber is cheap and I keep a few precut and bulbed rods and a lighter in my bag. Very easy and simple to change, fingernail clippers work well to make a nice cut.

The limited testing I’ve done, they show up okay when using a pistol mounted light.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Have a front fiber on my Sig P938 Equinox. The fiber sits in front of a tritium lamp. Just fell out one day. Luckily I noticed immediately. I put a drop of superglue on the back, shoved it back in and it’s still going. Definitely helps pick up the sight better in daytime and at night the tritium glows through the fiber so it still appears like a regular tritium sight.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I like TruGlo's tritium fiber optic front sights (TFOs). They combine FO with a tritium dot. When I bought one for my P220-10mm, I learned here to purchase it from SIG directly, as the one on the TFO site listed for SIG does not fit as well. I also added one to my P320, and love the sight picture.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I removed the fiber optic sights from my guns. I prefer night sights for the range and carry. Fiber optic is good if there is ambient light, something you can't always count on.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I removed the fiber optic sights from my guns. I prefer night sights for the range and carry. Fiber optic is good if there is ambient light, something you can't always count on.

If you don't have enough ambient light at your range and have to use tritium sights I'd suggest you find a better place to shoot.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Look at some TFX Pros. I have them and really like them plus they are night sights too.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
For my range guns I prefer fiber optic, red front and green rear. Dawson & LPA work well for me. Only had a couple needing replacement tubes,easy enough if you have spares.

The real pro for me is improved rapid fire accuracy as retinal issues affect traditional target sight notch resolution.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I like Ameriglo's Hackerthorn sights,nice orange front sights with a serrated u shaped rear sight, with my 62 year old eyes and trying Dawson,TFX's etc I found these to be the best for me.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Pros are you can see your front sight. Wink

Cons are, you might not like your other guns anymore.

It has more to do with the rapid decline of my vision, but I can't remember the last time I shot one of my pistols that doesn't have FO sights. Frown Little by little putting them on everything that will take them without serious custom work.
15 pistols I think? A couple shotguns and a couple rifles.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:

If you don't have enough ambient light at your range and have to use tritium sights I'd suggest you find a better place to shoot.

Or a flashlight.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post