SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you carry a .25 ACP, you may find this informative
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you carry a .25 ACP, you may find this informative Login/Join 
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I've been hesitant to add another caliber but I really like those baby fn pistols.

I carry my p32 daily with s&b or geco fmj, I don't like shooting the lcp even though it is the same size practically.

If I ever see a good deal on a nice 25 I will probably give it a shot, not like you need to stock much ammunition for it. A couple hundred would probably last a year.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
A reliable .25 is better than a blade, distance is everything. I would rather be 10' away than 3' in any fight...yhe ultimate point and click interface. Never carried a 25, closest I got was a Tomcat when it first came out. The pistol was very well made and like the 25 was never intended for a gunsite class or a IPSC match. They are great for real situations where you have nothing bigger and you need to dissuade someone from continuing their grumpiness.

Good data Para, thanks

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
So, I watched a few more vids of guys shooting the 950 BS. A quick question. As I understand it, it is SA only. Therefore, is it correct that it should be carried cocked and locked?

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
So, I watched a few more vids of guys shooting the 950 BS. A quick question. As I understand it, it is SA only. Therefore, is it correct that it should be carried cocked and locked?

There's some dispute about how trustworthy the safety is. It has an inertial firing pin, so the gist seems to be that hammer-down on a loaded chamber is a better option.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Mode of carry? A round in the chamber, and the hammer cocked to the intercept notch, and the thumb safety is off. Quickly thumbing the hammer to full cock is a much surer way of making the pistol ready to fire than attempting to manipulate the teeny tiny thumb safety on the 950.
Notice I said teeny tiny, which is an order of magnitude smaller than tiny.
I don't want to have to fool with it under stress. The hammer spur is a much larger part and when you cock it, you're sure you're ready to go.

Also, even if you're like me and 85% of the rest of the population and right handed, there is the possibility- through circumstance or necessity- that you may have this little popper in your left hand. The partial cock method allows for ambidextrous manipulation of the pistol. This is not so with the safety method of carry.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Agreed.
That little stub of a safety is easy to miss.

I've done draws from my front pocket and it's easier to get a solid hold of the little gun with the pad of your thumb riding over the hammer and once your cleared of the pocket it's a solid motion to yank that hammer back and assume your grip.
Drawing like this, your hand seems thinner and more flat. It's easier to slip straight up out of the front pocket.
As compared to using the thumb safety, where I've found that I tend to grip the pistol frame inside my pocket and set my thumb over the safety. This creates a thicker fist size pulling the gun out of your pocket and drags a lot more. This is even more apparent when wearing jeans that are snug.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Learn something new every day - I would never had guessed that the .25 could be that effective.

Ditto ... thanks Para

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I just traded my 22lr bobcat for a colt junior 25.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a time and place for everything, including the .25ACP.

This is worth a read.
http://smallestminority.blogsp...-stopping-power.html

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually had a seecamp 32 and a beretta 21 in 25 auto. Kept the beretta. The seecamp was stone dead reliable, but the limited ammo options and lack of sights killed it for me. Plus as an all steel pistol relatively heavy for its size. The beretta has been incredibly reliable and accurate. 7-10 yard playing card size groups at speed and hold 10 ring of a b27 target at 25 yards. My brother has a thing for 25's and won his fair share of backup gun matches shooting the beretta out to 25 yards.
I know personally of a couple of instant stops with 25's. For every story of spectacular failure with a given caliber ( even the almighty 45) there are other stories of great success.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post