SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If you carry a .25 ACP, you may find this informative
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you carry a .25 ACP, you may find this informative Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted

Unleash the tiny freakin' fury

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107553 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Interesting, when I carried my Browning .25, I always carried with FMJ ammo. I figured if I needed to shoot someone with it, I wanted more penetration than expansion. I feel better about that choice now. I need to get it back up and running and in my pocket again.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I think that I'd feel more comfortable with a .22lr or magnum.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Interesting to see. I have a buddy that was shot 5 times by 25 ACP during a drunken bar fight back in the 90's. From his account, it did little more than piss him off and only penetrated skin deep after going through a leather vest. Some of that stuff looks like you'd get a pretty little hole but not much in the way of instant death, though I am sure it has happened before.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Interesting to see. I have a buddy that was shot 5 times by 25 ACP during a drunken bar fight back in the 90's. From his account, it did little more than piss him off and only penetrated skin deep after going through a leather vest. Some of that stuff looks like you'd get a pretty little hole but not much in the way of instant death, though I am sure it has happened before.

I know that this shouldn't be funny. But it kind of is. ....Must have been some bar fight!

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting report. Reminds me I should dust off that little Colt in the safe and take it to the range with me next time. Thanks, Para!

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Cool post thanks Para.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
I wonder how something like a Lehigh Defense Cavitator bullet (if they eventually made one) would perform in .25 ACP?

Something along the lines of what Underwood has done for the .32 ACP +P using Lehigh bullets.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
I think that I'd feel more comfortable with a .22lr or magnum.
Can you name a pistol that's as reliable as a Beretta 950 in .25 ACP, in the same size class? By dint of the cartridge alone, the .25 ACP is more reliable than any rimfire, and when you pair it up with a superb little pistol like the Jetfire, you've really got something.
Take the NAA minis, for example. I own three. You've got five shots and then you're done, and these shots are not nearly as quick as with the Beretta. It's not just having to cock the little revolvers for each shot. It's that these tiny little things roll up in your hand from recoil (unless you're using oversized grips) and the revolver has to be repositioned after each shot.

So, I submit to you that 8+1 .25 ACP cartridges with another 8 rounds one reload away, in an ultra-reliable and accurate self-loading pistol is a choice that should not be overlooked.

The Jetfire feels solid in the hand and in about 35 years of shooting various examples from my friends and my own, I have yet to see one bobble a round. Above all else, reliability. It's gotta go bang. The Jetfire excels at this.

Now, the rimfire version of the little Beretta- I cannot say the same. I've seen failures to feed, failures to eject (usually when the pistol gets very dirty) and I've seen- as we all have- rimfire cartridges that fail to ignite.

posted Hide Post
Learn something new every day - I would never had guessed that the .25 could be that effective.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post Para. One of the firearms I inherited from my father after he passed away last October, was a beautiful baby browning.

For the times I can't carry either my sig 229 or my 1911, I carry the baby browning. My rationale was to use hollow points versus FMJ and your post has now convinced me otherwise.

Posts: 3721 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
BTW- shooting someone very muscular or heavily clothed with a 25 ACP? Well, how close are you to them? If I put a .25 ACP fmj through your neck, you would either: A. Go away and leave me alone, or B. Collapse like a sack of wet cement from spinal cord shock, or bleed out, perhaps.
At close range, the neck or the face might be the best option with such a tiny pill.

posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm in total agreement about the 25ACP in a Beretta 950 being about as good as it gets in the really small hideout gun category. I also shoot FMJ exclusively out of it and it has never jammed.
John Browning designed the 25 because it's ignition IS more reliable, and being semi rimmed, so is feeding in a mini semi auto pistol.
I'd love to know why Beretta has not put the little gem Model 950 back in production. In my books it's "Numero Uno".

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen- as we all have- rimfire cartridges that fail to ignite.

Yep. Even the good stuff. I used to keep a CCI Mini-Mag and a Lapua round (probably made by Eley) in my range bag that had both received a straight and solid smack to the primer/rim with no resulting bang.

Posts: 10748 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've currently got Hornady Critical Defense in mine because I need to buy more FMJ.

The only other gun as small and concealable but more effective would be an NAA Guardian in 32NAA

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doe
posted Hide Post
I've shot a few .22lrs. They almost always go click instead of bang every so magazines. .25 ACP was designed so it would go bang every time. I might just keep my 21A after all. It's loaded with Magsafe ammo. Might have to look at this new ammo.

Posts: 64 | Location: Land of Oz. | Registered: March 09, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Especially in small calibers "fast and light" may not be the best choice. A heavier bullet will carry momentum better, fast and light may have more energy but it will "dump" too quickly to provide needed penetration. You could see the 35 grain GDHP when driven to higher speeds did not penetrate well compared to the factory loading.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a few folks whose last moments involved a .25ACP.
It may not be optimal, but it does work.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16085 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cocked & Locked
posted Hide Post
Interesting info...thanks for posting it! I've carried this little Colt at times. I understand these are not safe to carry with a cartridge in the pipe. Eek

C&L

Posts: 198 | Location: Goat Hill NC  | Registered: June 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post