SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Salient, Taran, Agency, Zev, STI - personal experiences
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salient, Taran, Agency, Zev, STI - personal experiences Login/Join 
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted
I am curious about any experiences that you might have witH the firearms that I have listed above. Recently I posted about my struggle with Zev'S OZ9c. To date, I am still awaiting the return of my handgun. So to be fair I am not looking to hear your thoughts on how it is a waste of money. No shit is a waste of money. What I am looking for is direction on which one is a better option.

From the research that I have done,

Agency Arms handguns look like a showpiece

Salient Arms looks more like a working gun, but I am curious about their explanation of the custom work. How do you properly mate a Glock slide to the frame? Which seems to be the basis of their upgrade. I am not a trained gunsmith so this is not my area of expertise.

Taran, he can shoot but I have seen him perform just as well with a stock Glock.

ZEV, they are pissing me off.

I bought magazines, holsters, so I am kinda committed to the Glock platform. Should I say "screw it" and buy an STI Staccato

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never bought the whole guns but have bought many parts. The ZEV fulcrum trigger system I bought is great. Never had a problem on my Glock 35 converted to 9mm. Taran parts are good and fit well, as well. I have read somewhere that there slides are sent to Jager Gun Works to have them milled and coated but I am not 100% sure.

If you are looking to get a Glock pistol with some custom work on the cheap side, there are many companies willing to do it. I put one together for a fun range gun and it shoots incredibly well and has done so since I added the parts. I have about $950.00 in it, which some people will say that is too much too spend on a Glock but it is something I wanted a few years ago and enjoy it.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Sage dynamics (youtube) has plenty of valuable info on Agency Arms. He is a sponsored shooter, but I believe that most of their internals are stock Glock, therefore reliability should continue to be high. Seem to have a good reputation for customer service.

Don't discount ATEi - they have a solid reputation as well. I currently have a glock slide there being milled for an RMR. They have been very helpful and transparent in the process so far.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I'd have to give Salient the nod over the ones mentioned. I have a BLU-C, not their customized Glock 19. The BLU-C has the Glock architecture with the grip angle of a 1911 or M&P (but will still work with your magazines). Brass counterweight, fantastic trigger geometry, and an overall better feel without an overly aggressive grip texture.

I was able to get the frame first and later the components and an RMR as they went on sale over a period of about eight months. Wasn't in a hurry and configured it the way that worked best for my needs.

I also have an STI. Just one. Their version of customer service guarantees that I will never buy another one.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ben Simonson over at Boresight Solutions does some nice custom glocks. Not quite in the Gucci gun category but his frame/grip mods are great. I have a G19 gen3 frame with 1.5 grip reduction and Razorback backstrap.

Posts: 268 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only one I have experience with is STI. I bought a used STI 9mm single stack 1911 off gun broker. It only came with one magazine. It was obviously not the mag that came with the gun. The gun has a flared mag well and the mag I got had a flat base plate. It fit and feed, but you had to make sure it was seated. I called STI and asked about getting a different base plate or bumper pad for that mag. I also wanted to know what recoil spring they used. The man that answered was very knowledgeable. He did not have any bumper pads, but sent me a new magazine and 2 recoil springs free of charge. I thought that was very nice of him.

Posts: 619 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I don’t think this is quite what you’re asking about but I had a slide milled by Agency. Communication was great and turnaround was shorter than promised. I like their work and will use them again.

I bought a Zev trigger installed in a used gun one time and wasn’t that impressed. I would’ve been mad if I paid full retail for it but in their defense, I didn’t take the time to tune it probably.

I’ve never had a complete gun from any of the above mentioned.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any desire to purchase a perfectly good glock made expensive with dress-up cuts and gold plating, but I do have components, for some applications. I have several shelves in a safe with Glocks that have the agency arms minimalist mag well. I like them.

Taran Butler's products work. I use his magazine nbasepads, particularly the +5 extensions, though mostly on Sigs. They're well engineered and nicely made.

I have Precision Overwatch triggers in a few pistols. Also some Vickers triggers, presently in the G43X and G48. I use the Vickers slide stop, magazine floorplates, and Vickers/Tangodown magazine release.

In a couple of competition pistols I have the Apex ultimate safety plunger; makes for a slightly better trigger.

My carry pistols use the glock gadget striker control device.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We abused my Staccato P when it first came in (2019 model). We just shot it and shot it and shot it. As fast as we could load mags (I only had 5). We had no issues. If you do your part, the gun will do it’s part. One coworker was pretty much just cutting the previous hole each time.

I ordered a Staccato C2 in January and a dozen mags. Hopefully it will be here soon.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I had Agency arms do their AOS plate system on my Glock 17.4. They do excellent work.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Current generation STI pistols are awesome. I lucked into a Tactical HOST in 9mm (last guns before the Staccato series) and it has been incredible. I have a Staccato C2 coming as well and am considering a Staccato XC.

Variety is the spice of life...

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
I agree that boresight with the 1.5 reduction and razor back is very nice. He the least Gucci of the group IMHO

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never read anything bad about Agency, just expensive.
ZEV sucks, avoid them at all costs.

Don't think you can go wrong with a stock glock, any model. Either a APEX or OverWatch drop in trigger. If you need some framework, try polymer refined.
Good reliable pistol and you saved a grand.

Posts: 1659 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Another option to look at is Shadow Systems, either the MR918 or the forthcoming MR920. I have one of their frames and have been pretty impressed.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Descriptions aside, I was somehow thinking that this discussion sure could use a few pictures to help with the decision making process. Mine has a Glock magazine tube. Wink

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
Ok so this is where I am at:

ZEV:

Bought the ZEV OZ9c, failed out of the box, returned for repair, was told it would be at least a month out before they will even look at it, argued, returned it to them, awaiting refund.

Salient:

I emailed them about their guns and told them the features that I require and was directed to either the Utility or Tier 1 2.0 as they allow for a RMR. Both guns are the same price which is just about $2300.

Agency & Taran:

Read a lot of great reviews, built the gun on their configurator a couple times a couple different ways mostly using the Urban or Peacemaker slide. The overall cost comes to $1600 in modifications not including the gun. So a little bit more than the price of the Salient.

The same thing with Taran, between $16-1700 for modifications on my gun.

I am looking at ATEi, Boresight and found a new Dangerclose Armament now, but I am honestly tempted to go with the Salient Tier 1 2.0 Gen4.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
Another option to look at is Shadow Systems, either the MR918 or the forthcoming MR920. I have one of their frames and have been pretty impressed.

I'll second this recommendation, I now have three MR918s - I like them a lot. MR920s will be out shortly, if not already...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Seems familiar.

I wanted the BLU-C, but with an RMR. Black Friday rolled around and I was able to snag the complete ZEV Butterfly slide for about fifty bucks. Another retailer had the new RMR at 60% off. The decisions just about made themselves.

Being tempted by the Tier 1 is understandable. Let us know what you decide and what brought you to it.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Current STIs do seem much better.

Frankly, if I want a “spiffy” gun, I’ll have Triangle Shooting Sports build it.

For Polymer, I’m at:Stock Glock, or buy an HK. If I want one for competition, get an Apex M&P - though my XDm 5.25s are pretty slick.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I just don’t see the point in trying to “tune” up a Glock, aside from sights.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post