SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M&P 2.0...why buy the full size?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M&P 2.0...why buy the full size? Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
I picked up a 2.0 Compact yesterday and hit the range on my way home from work.

While this isn't a review of the gun, I will say that I absolutely loved it!

I was going to run back up to ADCO today to buy the full-size 2.0, but in thinking about it, why would I do that?

The Compact comes with x grips for 17 round mags and I only gain .25" of barrel. I'm thinking about buying another Compact to put in the nightstand and just skip the full-size.

Am I nuts? I just keep thinking the full-size is kinda pointless now.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am carrying a full size 2.0 9mm for duty. I just purchased a new compact 2.O. and I have to agree with you that with the capability of using a " full size" mag with the supplied adapters, there is no need to purchase a full size gun. By the way, congrats on your purchase. I have been impressed on the improvements on the 2.0 series so far.

Posts: 95 | Location: Richardson, Texas | Registered: September 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The 4.25" full-size does seem somewhat pointless to someone with smaller to average sized hands given how close the compact is in dimensions to it, but the 5" and its long sight radius still has a place IMHO.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Those of us with larger hands often appreciate the extra length in the grip and don't want to have to mess around with magazine extenders, especially if reload speed is a consideration.

The 4.25" will most likely sell well for those that CCW is not main consideration such as for HD or HD/range though I bet many can conceal the 4.25" just fine. Police agencies, etc will probably be interested in the 4.25" more for duty use versus the compact. The extra length may be an advantage for rail accessories too.

Always good to have choices.

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The M&P 9mm M2.0 4.25" is a couple of mm too tall to fit into the "smaller, non-BUG" class of IDPA. So I have been using (the only M2.0 that was available without thumb safety) in the higher class in IDPA.

However, the M2.0 "Compact" 4.0" probably will fit into the IDPA box for the smaller class.

In any case, replacing the sear with Apex two-dot sear will bring the required trigger force down to something more usable for competition. Still waiting for Apex to have a competition kit of parts the way they have for M1.0. [Have a M&P 9mm 5" M1.0 Pro CORE with red dot and full Apex competition kit that I shoot in Bullseye.]

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
I'm with you. I bought the Compact last weekend and my full size 2.0 is on the sales block. I'm hoping to trade it off for a 5" 2.0.

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P6shooter:
I'm with you. I bought the Compact last weekend and my full size 2.0 is on the sales block. I'm hoping to trade it off for a 5" 2.0.

I will jump on a 5" if I see one for sure!

I stopped in ADCO today to snag a second Compact but they were out...should have more in tomorrow though.

I keep looking at the compact and thinking about chopping the grip to fit the 9c mags. hmmmmmmmmmm

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Those of us with larger hands often appreciate the extra length in the grip and don't want to have to mess around with magazine extenders, especially if reload speed is a consideration.

The 4.25" will most likely sell well for those that CCW is not main consideration such as for HD or HD/range though I bet many can conceal the 4.25" just fine. Police agencies, etc will probably be interested in the 4.25" more for duty use versus the compact. The extra length may be an advantage for rail accessories too.

Always good to have choices.

I hear ya. I hope they eventually take it to 4.5" I guess. I'd go for one of those.

posted Hide Post
Funny, I played with both side by side today and said why go compact. Different strokes I guess, alot of people liked the compact. I just didnt find it to be that different. I may go for the 5" but grip size wise they were too close for me to go compact with the current premium I'd have to pay.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Compact and the 4,25 and I have to say I carry the full size as easy as I do the compact. I never thought I would be impressed with an M&P but the grip is truly fantastic.

Lawrence A Visocky (Larry V)

Posts: 494 | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I just keep thinking the full-size is kinda pointless now.

Some people thought the Compact was kinda pointless to begin with.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Same boat. I sold my 4.25” 2.0 for the 2.0 compact. It’s now set with an Apex trigger! Love that gun. I might buy another in .40.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The hordes of people who were screaming at Smith to make a Glock 19 sized M&P years seem pretty happy about it.

Of course now this model is going pivot around which the rest of the line revolves.

quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I just keep thinking the full-size is kinda pointless now.

Some people thought the Compact was kinda pointless to begin with.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the new 2.0 full size L/E package 3 mags and fact night sights its 40 cal and I may pick up the 2.0 compact in a 40 also . Smith did a good job on the 2.0

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
What percentage of folks will still Apex their 2.0 M&Ps? I dislike the hinged trigger and would probably change that out at least. Just curious how many that love the new gun will make changes?

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
What percentage of folks will still Apex their 2.0 M&Ps? I dislike the hinged trigger and would probably change that out at least. Just curious how many that love the new gun will make changes?

I will change out the trigger on mine for sure. I would leave it stock if wasn’t hinged though, the hinge is my only beef with it. I won’t get into the seat and all the other Apex stuff I did on my 1.0’s

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
As an aside, doesn anyone have a full-size 1.0 and 2.0?

I held the 2.0 full-size with the small blackstrap and I swear it’s smaller than the 1.0. I liked my 1.0’s but eventually sold them because the grip still didn’t feel quite right to me. The grips on the 2.0 with the small blackstrap fit me perfectly. I wish I held a 2.0 earlier.

I’d be curious to know if the two are actually different dimensions with the small backstrap...I’m guess the 2.0’s small is smaller.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Anyone own both the M&P 2.0 4.25 and Compact that can comment on experience shooting both? Are they very similar in the hand shooting?

Reason I ask is my rental range has a 4.25 but not the Compact. If they are very similar shooters I will try the 4.25 to see how I like it. My biggest concern is how far back the trigger breaks on the M&P 2.0 with my size hands/fingers.

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1.0 grips fit the 2.0 so I believe the grip sizes are the same.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you own the 2.0 compact, no point getting the fullsize, but if you own the 2.0 full size, you may have a need for the compact. I own the full size, i wish i had waited, but i can conceal the full size well enough, but that compact is like a glock 19 about perfect all around size.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post