SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG Sauer DE did some odd things, when they made the stainless frame P228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Sauer DE did some odd things, when they made the stainless frame P228 Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Many of you probably already know the history of the stainless frame P228. For those who don't, briefly, this P228 model was a special configuration ordered from SIG German Mastershop by the late Jaymie Smolens of Afton Arms (in VA) back in 2012. He initially ordered ordered 20 guns, and they sold out quickly. Due to popular demand, he placed a second order of 10. The 1st order was released in July 16, 2012. Although we were told 20 were ordered for the this 1st batch, only 10 made it to SIG NH. This is per SIG NH's records, as they were the actual importer. The 2nd order of 10 more guns made to shore and were released in March 20, 2013. So, there are a total of 20 these stainless frame P228s that were made and currently reside in the US. Jaymie passed away unexpectedly in Dec 2012, and Afton Arms went out of business not long after Jaymie's wife fulfilled the last order.

There is another single stainless frame P228 that was ordered in 2011 by another SF member, but that is another story. I'll concentrate on the guns by Afton Arms.

When I had my 1st gun from the 1st order, I was surprised to find that the frame was 229-1 mag compatible, although SIG DE shipped the gun with the old style mags. So, when I bought another gun, this time from the 2nd order, I always assumed that its frame was identically built as the 1st ordered gun. Until I found out yesterday that they are not. Yes, gun from the 1st order has the 229-1 compatible magwell, but gun from the second order has the smaller magwell that is compatible only with the old P228/229(9) mag. The wider 229-1 mag will not go in. What a complete surprise. SIG DE really does weird things. For such a small number of special ordered guns, why 2 different magwells? Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's quite a surprise, interesting.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
I came across one on GB last week and was tempted to put in a bid until I checked the bid history.

Just noticed that you’ll now have a consecutive pair. Nice score!

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Just had to have two, didn’t ya Wink

I practically salivate when I see one of these, let alone two. I almost did business with Jaymie before he passed but alas, I have Q’s pics to look at.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jamie and his knowledge are severely missed. I wish we had some of his old threads.

That is an odd kinda duck thing.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A small number order in different guns, requires that someone drop what they are doing and work on these. Different persons, machines and tooling, programs and, changes in programs for cutting stainless steel vs aluminum. It is possible to edit sections of a program while block deleting other sections of a program and this may be why the earlier mag well was machined into the latter small order of guns. Just a thought. Those are never again coming pistols right there. What has become of the 3rd gun Q?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have nowhere as much knowlwdge about these as others so I'll take a wild guess.
Sig probably had some unmarked stainless frames already machined for 229's and stuck 228 slides on them and stamped them with the appropriate markings to sell off some unused inventory.
Maybe they offered them to Afton Arms at a special price to clear out some surplus inventory.
Either way, some unique items.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcs1564:
I came across one on GB last week and was tempted to put in a bid until I checked the bid history.

Just noticed that you’ll now have a consecutive pair. Nice score!

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate it, on both counts.

quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
What has become of the 3rd gun Q?

Still here. It's from the 1st batch ordered and is 229-1 compatible just like the one on the left. So, I see no reason for add it in.

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I have learned to "Never say never" with Sig. Who knows, maybe a stainless M11 from SIG USA one day?

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Afton Arms

Afton Arms would buy all of the oddball runs done by the factory back in those days. They always had unique items that no one else was able to obtain.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I have nowhere as much knowlwdge about these as others so I'll take a wild guess.
Sig probably had some unmarked stainless frames already machined for 229's and stuck 228 slides on them and stamped them with the appropriate markings to sell off some unused inventory...

That's a reasonable theory for the 1st batch, that they used the stainless frame of the P229(.40) that is compatible with the 229-1 mag.

But, the narrow stainless frame from the 2nd batch had to be made from scratch, since SIG has never made such a frame for a rail-less tail-less all stainless P229(9). If so, that makes the guns from the 2nd batch even more special, imo, as it is a bona fide P228, not borrowing anything from the P229.

Q

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Minds are generally refreshed and sharper in the morning hours. I think I've come up with a answer about the 2nd run of 10 pistols. It's so you would have something new to discover about the P228.. Big Grin. Havn't a clue beyond that.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'd say they are both unique in their own way, just personal preference after that.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
(QUOTE)
But, the narrow stainless frame from the 2nd batch had to be made from scratch, since SIG has never made such a frame for a rail-less tail-less all stainless P229(9). If so, that makes the guns from the 2nd batch even more special, imo, as it is a bona fide P228, not borrowing anything from the P229. (QUOTE)

I agree a very special run of only ten guns,
with small frame a true P228. What a great find.

Posts: 1554 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate enough to purchase one from each order as well.

Posts: 872 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Can you test yours, if you have the 229-1 mag?

Q

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I do not have a 229-1 mag.

Posts: 872 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hurstolds1:

No .40/.357 P229 mag either?

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by hurstolds1:

No .40/.357 P229 mag either?

I do not own a P229.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Sigmonkey has one of the stainless framed P228s. Any pijjers Sigmonkey? Big Grin