SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 in 45...why so unpopular?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 in 45...why so unpopular? Login/Join 
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
I agree with the crowd, love my P320 FS 45. Shoots as well, maybe better than my P227. I guess you could make the same argument about the P227's popularity.

I personally think it has a lot to do with Sig Sauer and their seeming reluctance to expand these models.

A P320 FS RX 45 would be awesome, P320 Compact RX 45 for carry would be awesome. A 45 caliber version of the P320 X5 series would be over the top. I'd buy all of them if Sig offered them. It just seems like Sig is not that interested in offering these versions in 45 ACP.

Same with the P227. RX version, Legion Version, and 10mm version would be so amazing. P227 model should have all the same options as the P226. It's basically the same gun in 45.

White Hat Holsters makes a P320 Holster that will fit both calibers. Call them to confirm, but I am able to use their P320 Max Tuck IWB for both my 9mm and 45 ACP models.

Also check with Hidden Hybrid Holsters, I believe they fit universally too.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
XD45
M&P45
P227
Assorted FN .45s.

That's why.

The only double stack .45s that seem to enjoy any true success are Glock and H&K. The XD and M&P have enjoyed modest success, but they've been around for quite a while. The XDs even prove that it isn't limited round count.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I love my compact 320 in 45, in fact it's my EDC and is always in my car at all times when I'm not carrying it.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I just hope my 320FS .45 comes back from the voluntary upgrade with as good a trigger as I received out of the box. I thought long and hard before returning it to SIG.

Soft shooting and accurate, one of my favorites to take to the range.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I don't buy the "advancement in 9MM" argument.

It isn't like we're still shooting 45 Ball. 45 ACP has not been sitting still during this time period.

Big bullets still make big holes.

RMD

.45 hasn't stood still. The modern crop expands more reliably than the older hydra-shoks and the like.

9mm just had a lot further to go. I once had a case where a fellow irritated some folks during a recreational narcotics transaction. As he was sitting in a pickup truck, two people shot him through the back glass. One had a 9mm, one had a .40. The 9mm fragmented and basically sandblasted him. The .40 retained enough mass to penetrate his spine.

Now, compare that to a modern 147 gr HST that chugs through auto glass without issue.

The bigger, heavier, slower bullets already held together pretty well. The light and fast ones didn't. More penetration isn't really required vs the old .45, so more reliable penetration was about the only meat on the bone.

I've seen a lot of people shot with a lot of different things. The differences between heavy-for-caliber bonded (or other methods of retaining mass and preventing jacket separation) are insignificant among the common duty calibers. Super high velocity lightweight bullets suck (out of pistols), and those impressive ME numbers typically result in a messy but shallow injury.

In short, bullet selection matters more than caliber today. Stick with a quality bonded hollowpoint that's heavy for caliber in a common duty caliber, and if you fail the ammo wasn't the issue. I carry HST for both 9mm and .45, but there are plenty of other good options.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
It's not just a 320 thing. Guns chambered in 45AUTO are generally slower selling than their like counterparts in 9mm. Everywhere except 1911s, where tradition still rules. Well, most of the time anyways. Lately I've had more requests and orders for 9mm DWs than for traditional 45AUTO versions, particularly with the Guardian and Valor lines.

Greater recoil, more expensive ammo, less capacity...all factors. In the case of the striker SIG, it also didn't help that the .45 320 didn't maintain the capabilities with modularity across different calibers like the hammer-fired 250 generally had. That hurt potential curiosity and interest, particularly with those individuals otherwise not beholden to 45AUTO.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a full-sized P320 in .45 ACP very shortly after SIG finally released the pistol in that caliber. It currently serves as my HD pistol.

I agree with those who feel it shoots as nicely as a model 1911 and it is quite accurate.

The only thing I would change is a little more magazine capacity, although it holds 2 more rounds than a single stack model 1911, or the Beretta Cougar 8045F that it replaced.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
To me, the P320 seems to be a natural in 9mm.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Havnt heard anything on results on the recall or maybe I missed it ? But may result is not to happy ! Turn over was great but I lost the great trigger Frown(( trigger pull was for sure harder and not clean like it was (breaking glass) at all ! That was the main reason why I got it , so I'll probubly trade it in for the glock with a better trigger Frown(((( just my luck !

Posts: 9 | Location: N.H. | Registered: January 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coldbeer320:
Havnt heard anything on results on the recall or maybe I missed it ? But may result is not to happy ! Turn over was great but I lost the great trigger Frown(( trigger pull was for sure harder and not clean like it was (breaking glass) at all ! That was the main reason why I got it , so I'll probubly trade it in for the glock with a better trigger Frown(((( just my luck !

There's a thread. I think everybody's saying the trigger they got back is as good as or better than the trigger when they sent it in.

Then again: I believe I've seen comments to the effect that the .45 triggers are better than the others, in the first place.

My trigger is great. If I send my P320 and Sig screws up the trigger the gun will be gone and I'll be quit of the P320 entirely.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
I just hope my 320FS .45 comes back from the voluntary upgrade with as good a trigger as I received out of the box. I thought long and hard before returning it to SIG.

Got mine back and I have no complaints, feel as good if not a little better then before. JMO

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcl1960:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:

Got mine back and I have no complaints, feel as good if not a little better then before. JMO

Glad to hear that, hope my results are positive also.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
BTW, TrojanX4, your avatar is 2424x2135 pixels. It’s murder on slow connections. You might think about resizing it...

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
BTW, TrojanX4, your avatar is 2424x2135 pixels. It’s murder on slow connections. You might think about resizing it...

Hey thanks for the heads up, I’ll get that downsized.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had any luck finding the full size 45 frame module in small? I could do...
-a small carry module
-I small compact frame but need to find an adapter for my full size mags...

Any suggestions?

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post