SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 in 45...why so unpopular?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 in 45...why so unpopular? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I have a P320 full size 45. It's a great 45, but there seems to be very little in the way of holsters and even much chatter over the P320 in 45.

Why does it seem that there is so littler interest in the P320 when it comes to the 45?

Any suggestions on holsters?

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
It’s a 9mm world out there.....

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I love mine!

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love mine. Had Sig found a way to stuff 12 or 13 rounds in the magazine folks would rave. Factory extended mags would be a Godsend. As it stands it’s the best shooting 45 I own including a couple of 1911s. For some reason it’s softer shooting as well.

I tried finding a holster for it with a tlr1 attached - no dice outside of going custom. I found a comptac international holster that works great for an OWB competition holster.

I just got mine back from the ‘voluntary upgrade’ and it shoots just as well as it ever did.

Posts: 4 | Registered: July 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
Probably because the lack of "compatibility" with its smaller siblings, even though we have proved Sig wrong and used a .45 FCU for them too.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a compact 320 45 and its a great shooter

Lawrence A Visocky (Larry V)

Posts: 494 | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Recent advancements in 9mm ammunition performance have tremendously narrowed the 9mm v. 45 debate. As an unapologetic 45 guy, at my age I prefer toting a smaller pistol. For me this means 9mm. The 45 is far from the grave, however it really is a 9mm world.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I don't buy the "advancement in 9MM" argument.

It isn't like we're still shooting 45 Ball. 45 ACP has not been sitting still during this time period.

Big bullets still make big holes.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have yet to see a 320 45 Compact in the wild. I have the 250 in 45 and wanted to try out the 320...

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

Ammunition preference cycles are decades long, and right now the 9mm is at the top while the other common self-defense handgun cartridges are enjoying less favor. The reasons for preferences at any particular time differ, but none has a hard empirical basis—because there isn’t one. Some people are impressed with big holes and will prefer the 45; some (including me) like high velocity and energy and prefer the 357 SIG; others are rediscovering the advantages of large magazine capacities and less recoil, and therefore like the 9mm. The poor 40 S&W is in the middle of the pack and because it doesn’t seem to stand out in any specific way is the Rodney Dangerfield of the bunch.

No one knows positively, for certain which caliber or bullet will be most likely to convince Mr. Dirtbag to stop being a nuisance in a particular situation, but that doesn’t keep us from speculating on the basis of the things we do know: the size of the hole, the amount of kinetic energy, or ammo capacity and “shootability.” Right now the last seems to be what people admire most, so that’s what’s popular. Plus it doesn’t hurt the 9mm’s luster that the FBI switched back to the cartridge and therefore many LEOs and agencies are following that Pied Piper.

But fortunately for the fans of the cartridges that are presently on the outs, sooner or later the winds will shift—perhaps because all the tough guys will again scorn the 9mm—and some other round will enjoy the limelight (for a time).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 45compact and like it alot. It is giving my Glock 30s a run for carry time.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Every time the ammo manufacturers "improve" the 9mm round, they also incorporate those improvements into the other caliber rounds they make.

And while I am not a .45 snob and appreciate the value of shot placement over caliber, I do notice that the majority of the LE units that regularly exchange social gunfire with felonious miscreants, (LAPD S.I.S./RHD/METRO) seem to prefer pistols chambered in .45.

Despite repeated requests for some .45 320's our shop has not gotten any. But our Sig rep sucks. So maybe they are available to other parts of the country. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BT2012
posted Hide Post
You can try and contact DeSantis and see if they make one for the .45cal. Their website indicate they make full size for the P320 but it did not specified the caliber.

https://www.desantisholster.com/

Posts: 21 | Registered: November 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
.38 Super would work best for me, but I don't think they'd make a 10mm either.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really boils down to sales, not stopping power, not anything else; sales.

A lot of us like .45 acp. The truth is, however, that there's no difference in the end results of most popular service calibers, whether 9mm, .40, .45 acp, etc. It really doesn't have much to do with "modern ammunition," either. The differences that were touted for so long were...a myth.

It doesn't take a lot to see that the muzzle energy equates to nearly the same among most offerings today. The bullet diameter is negligible. It's insignificant in light of what really counts: shot placement.

A lot of people feel they can shoot 9mm more easily, have higher capacity, and less perceived recoil...and it's certainly less expensive to train with, reload for, etc, and they're lighter, with more options.

Personally, I like .357 Sig, and I really like .45. All my P320's are 9mm, which will be fine or me, and as duly noted at the training course the end of this last week, I can use all the practice and training I can get. Perhaps more. I can't afford to do that on .45.

Then again, I'm carrying a Glock. In .357.

But I do a lot more of the shooting in 9mm. Given the shoulder issue which appears to be developing, it may not be much more than 9mm, either...if that.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Ammunition preference cycles are decades long, and right now the 9mm is at the top while the other common self-defense handgun cartridges are enjoying less favor. The reasons for preferences at any particular time differ, but none has a hard empirical basis—because there isn’t one. Some people are impressed with big holes and will prefer the 45; some (including me) like high velocity and energy and prefer the 357 SIG; others are rediscovering the advantages of large magazine capacities and less recoil, and therefore like the 9mm. The poor 40 S&W is in the middle of the pack and because it doesn’t seem to stand out in any specific way is the Rodney Dangerfield of the bunch.

No one knows positively, for certain which caliber or bullet will be most likely to convince Mr. Dirtbag to stop being a nuisance in a particular situation, but that doesn’t keep us from speculating on the basis of the things we do know: the size of the hole, the amount of kinetic energy, or ammo capacity and “shootability.” Right now the last seems to be what people admire most, so that’s what’s popular. Plus it doesn’t hurt the 9mm’s luster that the FBI switched back to the cartridge and therefore many LEOs and agencies are following that Pied Piper.

But fortunately for the fans of the cartridges that are presently on the outs, sooner or later the winds will shift—perhaps because all the tough guys will again scorn the 9mm—and some other round will enjoy the limelight (for a time).

I agree. I didn't mean to star another caliber war thread. Also I agree with the guppy: Sales rules and that's where Sig makes their decision.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but I'll tell you this: My Sig P320F .45 ACP is one of my best-shooting pistols. Now, I haven't tried this, yet, but I suspect I'd be able to shoot pins with my P320 nearly on-par with my Glock G34. I think the difference would be down to recovery time. (9mm loads out of a full-size, long-slide Glock are pretty damn tame.)

I love my P320F .45 ACP and no mistake.

As for holsters: If Kydex works for you: Pitbull Tactical Bloodline Nocturnal Holster.

I have one for my P320, with Inforce APL Gen. 2:

Have it set up OWB, high-ride for semi-concealment. Comfortable. Secure. Draws and re-holsters well. In short: Everything I wanted.

Mag carriers were harder. None of the Kydex-benders had P320F .45 ACP mags, and I was loath to send them mine. So, at the recommendation of others, here, I got a Blue Force Gear Double Pistol Belt Pouch. I was sceptical, but it works so well that I probably won't bother getting a Kydex double-mag carrier even when (if?) an otherwise-suitable one shows up.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I think the most likely answer is the lack of caliber conversion from that module, unlike with the 250

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
It isn't like we're still shooting 45 Ball. 45 ACP has not been sitting still during this time period.

RMD

Yes - big bullets make big holes. Ten years ago I carried a 45. Today I carry a 9mm. This would never have been possible without advancements in 9mm ammunition performance. My response had more to do with the comfort level re: carrying a smaller 9mm pistol v. a larger .45 rather than rekindling the age old caliber debate. Thanks!

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I love my FS 45. It is a very soft shooting 45, with a fantastic trigger.

I have an Azula OWB holster for my FS 45. I like it so well, I got another one for my XDS45. The FS P320 holster took about 2 minutes of tweaking to get a perfect fit.

https://2022761d-2411-11e6-bec...pancake-belt-holster

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post