SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Would you return this barrel??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you return this barrel?? Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

I recently got an aftermarket barrel for a Glock 20 partly for fun and patly because I shoot hardcasts ammo through it. Its one of my woods guns so it needs to be reliable.

Anyways, first day out with the barrel, and rounds won't feed into it, they just jam into the feed ramp, it was every single round to the point I think I shot it about 3 times because Id have to drop the magazine and sort of stick my finder in and push the rounds in.

I though it was just the ammo (seller and ballot) so I changed to some Blazer aluminum, some UMC and even some Sig ammo....same thing. Earlier today I was trying to see how it feeds my hardhats ammo (underwood 220g) and it chambered a round, when I went to clear the gun, the slide was jammed shut, I couldn't open it for the life of me and there was a round in the chamber ready to go. I put the gun into a kydex holster and took it out to shoot that round out of it. It shot fine but I switched back to the factory barrel and had 100% reliability (obviously).

So, I never had that sort of trouble with KKM barrels or others that I've had in the past but this one seems to be an issue. Could it be a bad barrel? or just a piece of crap? would you return it or keep messing with it?

thanks!

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
It even a question. It would go back.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Send it back.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would you all try to get a replacement? or just cut the loss and go a different route?

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot hardcast out of the factory barrel no issues. its only worrisome if you shoot soft lead. and than if you don't clean it after

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You messed with it enough, send it back!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Is it a Lone Wolf barrel? I had the same problem with my G20 shooting Buffalo Bore HC too. I sent it back with the ammo. They did something with the throat of the barrel IIRC and looked at the ammo. It was a mixed bag. The barrel needed some work but the OAL of the BB HC rounds were all over the page. Some of it was outright out of spec and the recommended I not shoot it. I was very pleased with LW’s CS. If it’s theirs, send it back they will make it right.

BTW, I bought mine for the same reason you did as I wanted a woods gun to go with my Marlin SBL. Unfortunately, even though my SBL was a JM Marlin, it had to go to Ranger Point Precision before it would work. I was really snake bit with my woods gun combo at the start.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Is it a Lone Wolf barrel? I had the same problem with my G20 shooting Buffalo Bore HC too. I sent it back with the ammo. They did something with the throat of the barrel IIRC and looked at the ammo. It was a mixed bag. The barrel needed some work but the OAL of the BB HC rounds were all over the page. Some of it was outright out of spec and the recommended I not shoot it. I was very pleased with LW’s CS. If it’s theirs, send it back they will make it right.

BTW, I bought mine for the same reason you did as I wanted a woods gun to go with my Marlin SBL. Unfortunately, even though my SBL was a JM Marlin, it had to go to Ranger Point Precision before it would work. I was really snake bit with my woods gun combo at the start.

It’s not a lone wolf but their new model the “alpha wolf”. Same company/distributor or whatever. This thing won’t load anything reliably, not dog ammo, not blazer, not s&b and with the hard cast it created a flat out unsafe situation.

Picture of siggers
posted Hide Post
I also have an alpha wolf barrel for my Glock 40 mos that was doing the same thing. I just polished the feed ramp and now it works fine.

"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless"

Posts: 690 | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by siggers:
I also have an alpha wolf barrel for my Glock 40 mos that was doing the same thing. I just polished the feed ramp and now it works fine.

Yeah I was thinking about that. I don’t understand though how it could lock my gun shut after the round was chambered. I couldn’t pull the slide back at all more than 1/8th of an inch and was very hesitant to do much else since it was loaded with a live round.

I can see right where the rounds are hitting the feed ramp, one problem is I don’t think I really have a way to polish anything, I love in the middle of nowhere and don’t have many tools.

I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your ramp and chamber are in need of some work. If I were you, I would be sending the barrel back. However, if you are going to try and fix it yourself and have limited tools, you can try using some fine grit sandpaper wrapped around a pencil or small dowel. Work the ramp and barrel throat a little bit at a time. It may not take much and then again, it may take a lot. Good luck!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try shooting the same ammo in the factory barrel if it works I would suggest stop searching for a solution to a nonexistent problem. A few lead bullets now and then won’t hurt the factory barrel at all, and even a steady diet of lead with proper attention to cleaning your bore is not a problem either.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send the barrel back. Why waste further time with it?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Yep, it isn't right, and it shouldn't be your burden to make it right, beyond contacting the company for a replacement.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Yep, it isn't right, and it shouldn't be your burden to make it right, beyond contacting the company for a replacement.

The got back to me, said they could do a refund but that I could send it back and they would fix it. I told them ID prefer the refund.

posted Hide Post
Last year I bought a Bar-Sto barrel that I had Robert Burke eventually install. He told me that the barrels chambers are coming in way too tight and that I would eventually have FTE or jams, so he reamed it up to at least min size. Chamber is still tight and accurate shooter, but if I don't check each round of my reloads, some are still too big to fit.

Something to think about.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I cannot remember but I did hear about some of their barrels being out of spec, happens unfortunately sometimes. They are a great company and will do you right! I don’t trust my Dremel work..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sybo,

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
I cannot remember but I did hear about some of their barrels being out of speck, happens unfortunately sometimes. They are a great company and will do you right! I don’t trust my Dremel work..

I’m just going to send it back and get a barrel from KKM which is what I should have done from the start. We have used several KKM barrels with absolutely zero issues in the past.

This is the gun that is riding along for my pack rafting expeditions this summer so in need it to be 100% with the 220g hardcasts.

posted Hide Post
I have read that Lone Wolf will ream your chamber to accept your real ammo.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
I have read that Lone Wolf will ream your chamber to accept your real ammo.

Well this one accepts none of the 4-5 I tried to use so I think I’d rather just spend the extra few bucks and buy one from a company that can get it right before shipping them out.

I’m sure it’s an easy fix for them but let’s be honest, lone wolf is on the lower end of aftermarket barrels compared to what’s available.