SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 320 X Compact grip module mini eval
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 320 X Compact grip module mini eval Login/Join 
posted
Ok. So finally I got an order in when someone had these in stock. Just got them today when I got home from work. First the good, in no particular order. It makes the gun look better. Not important but still true. The grippiness is much improved. First 320 that I don't immediately want to stipple. I probably will leave it as is.

The bad. This is the only bad but it is kind of weird wtf were they thinking bad. It is a Compact size frame with a subcompact sized rail. Which is to say that basically every light you own doesn't fit. lol. I own streamlights and surefires. The XC1 while small still needs a rail where there isn't one. Head scratcher. It also means that Compact and SubCompact slides work but Full size slides leave a quarter inch of recoil spring exposed.

This seems stupid to me. Why not make it Compact size in every dimension? Lights would fit and anyone wanting to put on a SC slide could literally file/dremel/saw it down to size. Sig literally outthunk themselves on this one.

I still like it a lot though. If you are on the fence try one out.

Edited to add: I forgot the biggest plus. This thing feels good in your hand. Much better than stock. Not sure why the MSRP is so high though. Same plastic as other ones. Sig. It’s like dating a crazy but hot girlfriend. Sometimes I’m not sure it’s worth it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it. It's just aesthetics, but the way the frame doesn't quite come flush with the end of the slide looks good to me. I have no desire to use a light. The x-compact is actually designed for the subcompact slide. More like a P224 slide on a P229 frame, something like that.

I put a compact slide on the x-compact frame, and began having premature lock back issues. I decided it was the larger, older style slide stop release lever, and put on the newer, smaller style. The problems locking back with me fat-thumbing the lever seemed to mostly stop. This last steel shoot, however, I must have had a record number of failures to extract. While I doubt it has anthing at all to do with the x-compact frame (how could it), I did consider it the change to the frame was the only other recent alteration to the pistol.

I know older P320's had extraction problems and that Sig redid the extractor and spring, which may be the culprit. I swapped the extractor from a newer P320, and will be ordering them. My first thought when I'm having problems with a firearm, however, is that it must be something I'm doing or have done, so I'm keeping that in mind. Not sure what else it could be, but maybe something to do with grip that's changed with the x-compact...slowing slide somehow, or something along those lines? Dunno.

One thing at a time. I'll get to the bottom of it. I do like the x-compact frame, though, and have ordered a few more to go on other pistols. I want one in tan to go on the tan pistol. Bruce Gray has his sculpted one in a cerakote tan, but it seems perpetually out of stock (like most of the stuff on the menu there).

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
As for the rail, The marketing folks that Sig hired from Hk will probably have a proprietary micro light they will be releasing for us to snap up soon! I don’t know about the rest of you but I’m tired of being a beta tester for Sigs products. Whether it be modular rifles (556xi) that end of life after 18 months or P320 caliber conversion kits that cost as much as whole other pistols or mags with floorplates that don’t interchange. Sig, if you’re listening, get your shit together..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
As for the rail, The marketing folks that Sig hired from Hk will probably have a proprietary micro light they will be releasing for us to snap up soon! I don’t know about the rest of you but I’m tired of being a beta tester for Sigs products. Whether it be modular rifles (556xi) that end of life after 18 months or P320 caliber conversion kits that cost as much as whole other pistols or mags with floorplates that don’t interchange. Sig, if you’re listening, get your shit together..

I couldn’t agree more, other than classic P series pistols I’ve lost all interest in Sig. which is sad to me because I really like their stuff but I’m not gonna get suckered.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. I pretty much agree. I forgot about the goofy base plate incompatibility. Ha ha, how stupid is that. I am a virtuoso with a Dremel though (sarcasm) and the base plate mod takes very little effort to correct.

I don’t use lights except on home guns but I’m not buying a proprietary micro light either way.

I do own a sub compact slide and am tempted to use it on that. I like the setup on the sc frame I have now though. I would prefer to put my XC1 on it with a compact slide.

Just seems dumb-ish.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, a sign of the times. It's not just Sig. Just look at the Glock Gen4 vs Gen5. Probably others.

Harvard MBA marketing geniuses rule the world. At least until they destroy their own company, cost it a lot of money or bail first and move to another.

Re Sig, Bought a P320C 9mm and FS .40 X-change kit in January 1015. Have given up on trying to follow all the changes. Recently bought another Gen4 G19...not the "improved" Gen5.

One of my favorites from about 25 years ago was Taco Bell. The marketing geniuses decided to expand into Mexico. Started opening a bunch of outlets. Carefully tailored their menus to the Mexican population. A-S...where are the customers? Eventually shut them all down and stopped the expansion. Problem was that Mexicans wanted the American versions of "Mexican" food. The marketing geniuses never figured that out.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P320 sub compact grip frame does't have any rails, so no option to install a light anyway.

Move the subcompact slide to the x-compact grip frame and now there's a rail, but no way to attach a light...there was never an option to attach a light in the first place on a subcompact. Doesn't seem like a problem, really.

On the compact, yes, there's an option to use a light, which disappears when using the x-compact grip frame, but the x-compact grip frame was made for the sub-compact. Not the compact. It works really well with the compact, though (other than the light). Personally I'd be fine without the rail at all.

The x-carry grip frame for the compact works really well with the full size slide; the frame doen't reach the end of the slide, but is long enough to overlap the slide dust cover. It's also long enough to run a light for those so inclined.

posted Hide Post
Not completely true. The bigger subcompact grip modules have an abbreviated rail. Also useless. I have both styles of SC grip modules, the small is too small for me and the larger is fine but it has that goofy useless rail.

I just fundamentally dont understand adding a rail that is useless for almost anything.

posted Hide Post
Just to follow up on my extraction problems...changed out the extractor and spring, and shot a steel match tonight. I still suck, but the pistol ran just fine, no problems at all.

posted Hide Post
I just picked up my X Compact tonight. My TLR 3 snapped right on it. Not real snug to the trigger guard but it works fine.
I would guess that holsters for the standard P320 Compact with lights are not compatible with the X Compact, due to the extra length.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I just picked up my X Compact tonight. My TLR 3 snapped right on it. Not real snug to the trigger guard but it works fine.
I would guess that holsters for the standard P320 Compact with lights are not compatible with the X Compact, due to the extra length.

If you can find a holster for a P320 Compact with TLR-3, it might fit the X-Compact with TLR-3.

The X-Compact fits in non-light P320 Compact/Carry/Full Size holsters, as well as holsters for the railed Subcompact.

But TLR-3s don't fit in holsters for other more common weaponlights. It hangs down further than other lights. So you couldn't use a holster for something common like a P320 Compact with TLR-1 or X300.

Unfortunately, dearth of compatible holsters is one of the many drawbacks of the TLR-3, alongside its flimsier construction, less common battery, shorter runtime, lower output, and wonky fit. (I assume these latter issues have lead to it being less popular, thus causing the first issue.)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My TLR-4 fits the xCompact grip as well, using the forward most notch so the rotating switch is outside the trigger guard which is probably a good thing anyway.

I have an IWB holster that accommodates the light/laser, and it works with the xCompact grip just fine. But the gun sits deeper than my other holsters which conceals better but I have a really hard time getting my fingers between my pants at the waist and the grip of the gun which makes drawing rather difficult. And I def don't have larger than normal hands.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post