SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    PMM is Customizing Sig Slides
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PMM is Customizing Sig Slides Login/Join 
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
I plan on red dotting as many of my handguns as possible in the future so thanks for letting us know!

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would mighty near pay to keep my pistol out of the hands of such butchers.

then we hear...

quote:
He does skilled work. Which does not interest me.
[

The first indicates you opinion that the quality of the work is less then acceptable. then it seems it is but you have no interest. You can't seem to make up your mind which I'm guessing is based in zero actual experience with his operation. Am I correct in that assumption?

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
Jarod does good work. I sent him my MCX barrel to cut/ pin/ weld and it's exactly how I expected it. Yes, it took a little longer than originally anticipated, but as I understand it, he's just a one man show so it's to be expected.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, to stay on point, I am seeking education, not throwing stones. I have wondered for a long time, what purpose do the slots serve? Keep in mind I first asked this question when Magna-Port came out. I ended up porting a 3 inch 44 magnum.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Fredward, they lighten the slide. This changes the balance, and felt recoil. I had this done on a P229, and afterwards, it handled more like a folded slide P228. It also seemed to cycle just a hair faster than my other P229 that it was basically identical to prior to the work. It also made it a snappier shooter in .40, and allowed the ingress of a lot more lint and dust, and in a pistol that liked to be greased, this was a problem for carry. For a striker-fired competition gun, I can see it. I'm no longer a fan of the concept, but the smith who posted the thread seems to do nice, clean work. Smile

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may also compensate for the weight added by the optic.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad more companies are offering these types of mods as it offers a little customization for each owner/shooter. Besides the more competition, the better prices will become.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
It may also compensate for the weight added by the optic.

That must be one heck of a heavy optic. Factory guns set up for red dots don't seem to need to resort to on-through fish gills and port holes. At least on a regular basis.

IMHO this kind of modification is entirely for style. If one like this sort of thing, great for them. They have options. If however you hate how overdoing this kind of cosmetic surgery turns a perfectly reliable service level pistol into rattle-prone, schlocky POS ($2k ZEV, anyone?), then it's something to avoid. Kinda like the plague. Or a bad boob job.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fredward, they lighten the slide. This changes the balance, and felt recoil. I had this done on a P229, and afterwards, it handled more like a folded slide P228.

Exactly my experience. I was initially looking just to rebalance my P229 so it would handle more like my P228. I was very pleasantly surprised to find it did just that. I did not even have ports in the barrel at first, only adding them later as an afterthought.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ZEV/Glock hybrid has no rattle and fits tight and I spent no where near $2,000.00 for it. Glock has had the limelight for so long and I am glad others are doing different pistols. Plain Jane pistols are nice but having something that is a little different is the spice of life.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot that I posted this in here,.... it seems I missed all the Excitement that the internet has to 0ffer.

I am the first to agree that not everything I do is for everyone, But I'm not here to live my life by others standers just having some fun.

Posts: 56 | Registered: August 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
If Jarod would like to contact me, I'd be happy to share our experience with slide mass and custom machining work of this sort. It's all pretty fresh in my mind, given the projects I have been on lately.

There are significant technical considerations to be entertained before reducing mass on any slide, much less a SIG, but there are ways and degrees to which this can be done without inducing unacceptable issues with durability and functional reliability. I may also suggest some tricks to offset and mitigate these inevitable tradeoffs.

There is always room for new craftsmen who do good, honest work.

And no room for those who needlessly abuse and discourage them. I'd almost forgotten how shitty such trolls used to make me feel. I hope you'll ignore them, and accept genuine constructive criticism and help instead.

-Bruce (bruce@grayguns.com)

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post