SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger P95. Opinions?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger P95. Opinions? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I owned a pair of them about 10 years ago. Can't say I ever warmed up to them, sold 'em off. They're OK but they're just not for me.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107575 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My brother owns an P89 and P95.

While they may not be the prettiest handgun, the damn things run like a well oiled machine. I loaded several different bullet configurations into the mags of both guns, wanting to see just how good they are. Both passed without a single failure.

I consider them to be excellent guns which are value priced.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
bought the hype and bought a P89 brand spanking new when they first came out,
big bulky high cap 9mm goodness,

couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside,

sold it a few weeks earlier, got a 1911 (Springfield Armory plain jane model) and never looked back

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Never had a 95, but 89 was rock solid. I think you could use it as a sledge hammer, then load a mag and have zero hiccups. Wouldn't win a beauty contest, but that's not what it was about.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a well used P89 and its flawless it does does shoot real good , also picked up a worn looking P 95 and it shoots just as good as any thing I have Sigs Beretta Glock .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I know others have pretty much said this but here's my take.

The Ruger P Series pistols ergonomics suck, but they are reliable, accurate shooters.

Only real issue might be finding quality holsters for them.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it, buy it....

Now with that said... understand I own a lot of P95s and a number of 89's and so I'm a tad prejudiced....

I prefer the stainless de-cock only... depending on the age of your p89 the mags match up and that is a plus. (first year 89's had a slightly different mag... but I know how to fix this) I like the ergonomics of the 95's and find nothing wrong with the 89's.. these were 'truck' guns in that they were built like trucks (at least before yuppies started asking for all the comfort items in and on them, trucks) Is that 95 an older (slick grip and no front rail under the slide) or the newer version with the textured grip and rail?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
- ugly
- somewhat bulky
- easy to disassemble
- RELIABLE

Very good pistol. After many many years of being my nightstand gun, I gave it to my son who had been hankering for it. I miss it at times but I know it will work and keep my son company.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
My first pistol was a P89 and my wifes duty pistol was the P95. Wasnt a fan of the trigger but otherwise a great gun. I talked her into trading for a 228 witch i then stole Smile

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^That's a dirty, dirty move.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
^^^That's a dirty, dirty move.

yes it is, but I still let her shoot it and she has a 226/9mm that is hers!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of KP93's, a couple of KP94's and one each of P89, P90 & P95.

As others have stated Ruger semi automatics are over-built, tough as nails, and will eat any ammunition I have tried.

If you are not concerned about replacement parts, I would buy it. If I recall correctly, the P95 has a different spring set up from the other P-Series models. I purchased a spare parts kit for the P95 off of GunBroker.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an 89 and like it, although the thing is huge compared to other models. The 95 seems more contoured and refined but still a big bulky gun. I have to hand it to Ruger though, the pistols will take a beating more than most and will still be usable,big and bulky, but still usable.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
If you are not concerned about replacement parts,

Hmm, that's a good thought. I sold my PC40 because Ruger doesn't support it anymore and I knew that if it ever broke I'd be SOL. I'll have to look into parts availability.

LGS called me yesterday, saying they'd received some things I asked them to get for me. I'll take a closer look at this P on Monday.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Bought a P-95 that had been shot by a 40 cal. Through the box inadvertently and had hit the slide putting a large dent in it. Gave 50 dollars for it and found a slide and complete parts kit on GB for 65 dollars. Sold it for 400. Still have the box (plastic).

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
If you are not concerned about replacement parts,

Hmm, that's a good thought. I sold my PC40 because Ruger doesn't support it anymore and I knew that if it ever broke I'd be SOL. I'll have to look into parts availability.

LGS called me yesterday, saying they'd received some things I asked them to get for me. I'll take a closer look at this P on Monday.

Just buy a parts kit but make sure it has the spring. I think it would be a freakish break on the Ruger P Series guns but better to be prepared than unprepared.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
When I was younger and dumber I came to the conclusion that I had too many 9mm pistols. I gave my brother my P95. Not pretty, but it worked and gave pretty respectable accuracy. Not bad for a pistol that was below
$300.00 OTD

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I've honestly wondered how much trouble it would be for my LGS (where I sold/traded my P89) to track down who bought it....

---

ETA: Holy smokes, I just realized how many magazines I let go with that gun. Jeepers, man, this goes on the stupid-list twice!

If that's what your heart is set on, don't settle. Summit Gun Broker has some P89s listed.

Link

(I have no affiliation with this seller)

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
don't settle. Summit Gun Broker has some P89s listed.

Oh, now you've done it!! Razz

- - - - -

I did go over to the LGS this afternoon and I got the P95 in my hand. Good grief, it's tempting! This is the DC (decocker) version, unlike my old P89. I don't think I have a problem with that.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding a parts kit as Wolfpacker mentioned, but I'll keep looking for a bit while I ponder picking up this P95.

Ridiculously tempting....

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, now you've done it!!

Happy to help. Wink

Be careful, that site is addictive.

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post